Testing emulators using z80test-1.0. Quick results

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Re: Testing emulators using z80test-1.0. Quick results

Post by RMartins »

Is there any test, that we can run, to determine if the floating bus is correctly implemented ?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

RMartins wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:58 pm Is there any test, that we can run, to determine if the floating bus is correctly implemented ?
I have not tried it [mention]RMartins[/mention], but there is a test file here:

http://ramsoft.bbk.org.omegahg.com/floatingbus.html

http://ramsoft.bbk.org.omegahg.com/tech/floatspy.zip

Floating Spy v0.33 - Floating bus test program (C) 2002 RAMSOFT

Edit - Just loaded it up:

Have I found something not in ZXDB [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention]?
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

RMartins wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:58 pm Is there any test, that we can run, to determine if the floating bus is correctly implemented ?
The ulatest3 by Jan Bobrowsky, modified by Chris Smith. You can get it from here:

http://dlcorp.nedopc.com/download/file. ... 910926db5b
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

zx81 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:27 pm
The ulatest3 by Jan Bobrowsky, modified by Chris Smith. You can get it from here:

looks like this one needs strict 48k emulation, not even the 128k in 48k mode
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

Lethargeek wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:59 pm
zx81 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:27 pm The ulatest3 by Jan Bobrowsky, modified by Chris Smith. You can get it from here:

looks like this one needs strict 48k emulation, not even the 128k in 48k mode
The first ulatest3 was for 48k only. Probably, the Smith's version derives from it. Jan published updated versions from his tests, but I can't find it to download now.
edjones
Drutt

Post by edjones »

edjones
Drutt

Post by edjones »

edjones
Drutt

Post by edjones »

Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

There's also a test for the well known "snow effect".

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-KEen ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-KEen ... sp=sharing

Just a few emulators can run it properly, SpecEmu and SpecIde for now, but of course I didnt test them all...
Here's what it looks like on a real 48k Spectrum, as a reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix9Wy2jhDwI

[mention]edjones[/mention]
Can you share home page or some link for more details about this emulator?
polomint
Drutt

Post by polomint »

edjones wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:59 pm Image
Wow, that one looks like it could be very cool, eventually 8-)
So far, so meh :)
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Still waiting for the link to that mysterious emulator. 8-)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Pegaz wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:38 pm Still waiting for the link to that mysterious emulator. 8-)
Your wait is over...

https://github.com/mikedaley/SpectREM

It's not been touched for two years though. It's Apple MacOS only.

If users are posting about unusual Emulators please include a hyperlink to the project page. Thank you.
polomint
Drutt

Post by polomint »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:54 pm
Pegaz wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:38 pm Still waiting for the link to that mysterious emulator. 8-)
https://github.com/mikedaley/SpectREM
There is also the CPP version of the above at https://github.com/mikedaley/SpectREMCPP
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Excellent [mention]polomint[/mention] . Do you need to run compile it with Visual Studio or similar? I can't see a pre-built binary.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

I don't have a Mac, but thanks anyway.
Windows build would be very welcome of course...

btw, Patrik Rak has opened a github page dedicated to his z80test programs so anyone can find and use them to check the emulator's accuracy.
https://github.com/raxoft/z80test
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Pegaz wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:39 pm I don't have a Mac, but thanks anyway.

btw, Patrik Rak has opened a github page dedicated to his z80test programs so anyone can find and use them to check the emulator's accuracy.
No problem. I have sent a PM to [mention]edjones[/mention] asking him to include links where possible. Saves us lots of wasted searching around the internet!

Are these any different to the ones mentioned on the first post of this thread [mention]Pegaz[/mention]? They are both v1.00.

viewtopic.php?p=10626#p10626

I've been meaning to say Fire 'n Ice is one of my all time favourites! Were you involved in the development?
polomint
Drutt

Post by polomint »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:32 pm Excellent @polomint . Do you need to run compile it with Visual Studio or similar? I can't see a pre-built binary.
Yes, compile it with Visual Studio. The core is in C++ so can be used with whatever language can wrap that. I used the C++ core wrapped in a Win32 C++ Visual Studio project and then added in UI elements etc. to at least get something working. It had a nearly working Windows part but that had to be changed a lot to actually get it working (someone else helped get the OpenGL renderer working).
I've only done this mainly as a way to learn a bit about C++ and Win32 programming (I mainly use C#), so don't expect too much from the Windows version :)
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:45 pm
Pegaz wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:39 pm I don't have a Mac, but thanks anyway.

No problem. I have sent a PM to @edjones asking him to include links where possible. Saves us lots of wasted searching around the internet!

Are these any different to the ones mentioned on the first post of this thread @Pegaz? They are both v1.00.

viewtopic.php?p=10626#p10626

I've been meaning to say Fire 'n Ice is one of my all time favourites! Were you involved in the development?
No changes, but it's good that everything is available on github now.

btw, I'm not involved in making Fire'n'Ice, it's one of the first Eastern games I tried many years ago.
That loading screen is my favorite, it defines my character pretty well ;) and it's been my avatar ever since.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Pegaz wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:49 pm
djnzx48 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:55 pm I've tried SpecIde in the past, and it works well, but its accuracy comes at a price. On my machine, it uses a lot of CPU and runs too slowly to be really usable. I don't know if that aspect has been improved since then, but maybe it runs better on other people's computers anyway.
Last few versions I tried, work just fine on my old dual core laptop in full screen mode.
If you've only tested in windowed mode, it's still crawling.
Fortunately, full screen mode is the only thing that matters to me, and it works really well there.
I also tested 50hz sync via the hdmi port on the TV and it is great, I would say perfect.
Also, the emulator is rock solid stable, but until it has some sort of GUI, I doubt it will reach a larger user base.
btw, it's really refreshing that after many years, we've got a female author, an extremely talented programer, like we may not have had in the Spectrum scene, since Veronica Megler.
I tried the latest version in fullscreen mode to see if I would get better performance, but unfortunately it didn't really help. All four builds ran slowly and with stuttery sound. I will just have to accept that my computer can't handle the awesome power of this emulator.
DarkTrancer

Post by DarkTrancer »

There a link to the SpudEmu V0.001?
polomint
Drutt

Post by polomint »

DarkTrancer wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:27 am There a link to the SpudEmu V0.001?
From the developer:
Not yet, still under development, executable files issued to select few beta testers only, links should be available on World Of Spectrum within the next week or so
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

djnzx48 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:52 pm
Pegaz wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:49 pm Last few versions I tried, work just fine on my old dual core laptop in full screen mode.
If you've only tested in windowed mode, it's still crawling.
Fortunately, full screen mode is the only thing that matters to me, and it works really well there.
I also tested 50hz sync via the hdmi port on the TV and it is great, I would say perfect.
Also, the emulator is rock solid stable, but until it has some sort of GUI, I doubt it will reach a larger user base.
btw, it's really refreshing that after many years, we've got a female author, an extremely talented programer, like we may not have had in the Spectrum scene, since Veronica Megler.
I tried the latest version in fullscreen mode to see if I would get better performance, but unfortunately it didn't really help. All four builds ran slowly and with stuttery sound. I will just have to accept that my computer can't handle the awesome power of this emulator.
Oddly enough, I tested it on Win 7 64 bit, with my 9 year old laptop, dual core Intel 6200, 2 Ghz and there are no issues in full screen mode.
If you are using older windows (XP/Vista/7), you should try out the MinGW version, because the standard 32 and 64 bit versions are customized for windows 10.
It may also matter what the cpu is about, maybe the emulator is not well optimized for amd, if that is the case.
You can't go wrong with the setup because there is virtually nothing to adjust.

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

In my case, it's almost surely the CPU. I'm currently using a laptop that is about 8 years old, and due to severe thermal problems I have to clock the CPU down below 1.5GHz if I don't want the fans spinning constantly. Disassembling it in an attempt to remove dust from the case didn't fix the problem, so it struggles running some programs. (I did try the other builds just in case.)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

polomint wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:57 am From the developer:
Not yet, still under development, executable files issued to select few beta testers only, links should be available on World Of Spectrum within the next week or so
Thank you for the explanation [mention]polomint[/mention].
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

djnzx48 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:41 am In my case, it's almost surely the CPU. I'm currently using a laptop that is about 8 years old, and due to severe thermal problems I have to clock the CPU down below 1.5GHz if I don't want the fans spinning constantly. Disassembling it in an attempt to remove dust from the case didn't fix the problem, so it struggles running some programs. (I did try the other builds just in case.)
I had the exactly the same problem last year and cleaning the dust was unfortunately not enough.
In my case it was necessary to replace the cooling heatsink and after that CPU went back to normal operating temperature.
I don't know exactly hardware requirements for this emulator, but I think those 2Ghz are probably some lower limit.