What was in the box 48k spectrum

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
Hedge1970
Manic Miner

What was in the box 48k spectrum

Post by Hedge1970 »

Been looking around to find out what was in the Spectrum 48k box. Not just the hardware but the leaflets and booklets. My aim is to collect a classic boxed 48k for keepsake.

I know that there was promotions - I believe mine was given away with a car. But was there a standard set of info?

Cheer
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Re: What was in the box 48k spectrum

Post by djnzx48 »

I'm not sure about the promotions (some common Sinclair ones were a light gun pack for the +2 and a few software packs) but the introductory booklet has a description of what comes in the box. According to that it was just the two manuals and some leads.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

This is an interesting question, especially for those who bought Spectrum during the first year of sales.
I dont know if it was true, but I read somewhere that demo tape Horizons, wasnt in the box right from the beginning, but was introduced later.
I suppose the manual also changed over time in multiple editions, including with or without metal rings.
Also I wonder if the cardboard box was the same from the beginning or did it change its design?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

We got ours quite early on, and it had the Spectrum, Horizons tape, power supply (without plug from memory), cassette lead, aerial lead, introduction booklet and manual. There might have been a Psion software catalogue with ours, but I can't recall. There was probably a registration card to, but again I don't recall.

There were (at least in the UK) three versions of the original manual. All were spiral bound.

At least with the original rubber key spectrum the Sinclair box stayed the same as far as I'm aware. It's the polystyrene that in my experience breaks down over time.

Page 7 of the introduction book shows the contents.

https://web.computersmuseum.com/technic ... on-manual/
Hedge1970
Manic Miner

Post by Hedge1970 »

Thanks. I would have thought a couple of promo type flyers or a quick start guide. However seems like they kept it pretty standard and functional. I guess I have it all.

I do have a few of the BASiC manuals and there are def changes year to year. I had forgotten about the Introduction Booklet - even though I have them.

Thanks all
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

In 1983:
  • ZX Spectrum 48k rubber key model
  • ZX PSU without 13A plug
  • UHF TV lead
  • Cassette tape deck dual audio lead (ear/mic)
  • Introduction booklet
  • Manual (ring bound)
  • Software catalog booklet (I think)
  • Registation card
  • Horizons tape
The computer, PSU and cables came in clear plastic bags IIRC.

Mark
Last edited by 1024MAK on Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Hedge1970 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:46 pm Thanks. I would have thought a couple of promo type flyers or a quick start guide.
I don’t think we had any “quick start guides” for anything back then...! :lol:

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Interestingly, the first Horizons tape review was in Popular Computing Weekly 9/82 and Sinclair User 10/82, which may have meant, that it wasnt included in the box at the very beginning.
I dont know exactly when the Spectrum delivery began, but I read somewhere that it was summer 82.
Only someone who got Spectrum at that time, could confirm whether Horizons were in the package or not.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

We got our 16K Spectrum pretty early on, and it certainly had the Horizons tape with it.

[mention]1024MAK[/mention] I'm sure has better memory than me, but I don't recall the cables being in bags. They just had twist ties.

PS. It's a pain that the mention auto population of the user name doesn't work with usernames that start with numbers.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Most plastic products and cables were/are packed in plastic bags to prevent problems caused by polystyrene packaging (especially plasticiser migration).

So it’s possible that the first shipments didn’t have plastic bags, but later production did use plastic bags.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

1024MAK wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:05 pm (especially plasticiser migration)
Boy is that stuff nasty. Leaves ugly marks on both the cables and the polystyrene. :evil:
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:35 pm
1024MAK wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:05 pm (especially plasticiser migration)
Boy is that stuff nasty. Leaves ugly marks on both the cables and the polystyrene. :evil:
I have to admit that I had to Google it!
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

PVC insulated cables (PVC being the most common insulating material used in electrical cables) in medium or long term contact with either rubber bands, polystyrene packaging or plastic cases (ABS being the most common form of plastic used for consumer devices, but also sometimes a plastic based on or using polystyrene is used) may result in damage to both the cable and the item it is in contact with.

The plasticiser used in the PVC to make it flexible may migrate from the cable to the polystyrene or to the ABS plastic. This will cause a melted appearance on the polystyrene or ABS.

Of course, by the time that damage to a plastic case is noticed, the damage is done :(

Mark
“There are four lights!”