Who..err...what did you cheat on your Spectrum with back in the day?

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: Who..err...what did you cheat on your Spectrum with back in the day?

Post by Morkin »

Knew people with C64, BBC and Dragon 32, though most had Speccies so it was easy to swap games, which were usually better anyway. :D

I admit to being very impressed when I saw Elite on the BBC though, and I remember seeing a couple of text adventures on the Dragon (can't remember which ones?) which I thought would be nice to try using its clicky clacky keyboard rather than rubber keys.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Re: Who..err...what did you cheat on your Spectrum with back in the day?

Post by bob_fossil »

My mum's friend got their son a BBC Micro B which I got to play on when we went round. The disk drive was impressive and it had some decent exclusives - Repton III, Boffin, Citadel and Frak! However, the lack of big title games kept me on the straight and narrow path. My uncle had a C64. The music was superior - I still remember hearing the music for Thing on a Spring booming out of it - and again it had a disk drive.

I managed to get a +D and a 3.5" disk drive for my Spectrum +2 which kept my faithful for a few years until a fateful visit to see my uncle. The C64 was no longer there. He'd upgraded to a Commdore Amiga 500. This was around the time in the Spectrum's life when it was trying it's best to handle the 16bit games like Stunt Car Racer and Switchblade. Another game I'd read about was Shadow Of The Beast, so that was the first game my brother and I loaded into it. We'd never seen anything like it. The second game we loaded up was Xenon II. We sat in amazement as an actual song with samples was played back to us. With hindsight, these games weren't up to much but the damage was done. We had seen the future and it was 16bit.