ZX-Blue Plaques?

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Re: ZX-Blue Plaques?

Post by Rorthron »

It seems the main entrance to the Gremlin offices were just up the street from Just Micro here:

12 Carver St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/JzrQgs77QHTy1xX2A

(Apparently the offices were over Just Micro, which had a back door into the offices, but the main entrance was separate.)
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Software Projects were at Bear Brand Complex, Allerton Road, Woolton, Liverpool, L25 7SF, but it seems it was demolished in the late 1990s and is now a Tesco.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Then and now:

Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Odin seem to have been round the corner from Bug-Byte at The Podium, Steers House, Canning Place, Merseyside, L1 8HN. It has also been demolished.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Continuing with Liverpool...

Fuller Micro Systems were at The ZX Centre, Sweeting Street, Liverpool, L2. Surprisingly this street isn't on Google Street View. I doubt the address is still known as "The ZX Centre"!

The shop Micro-Digital was at 25 Brunswick Street, Liverpool L2 ... or 14 Castle St ... or Dale St.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Automata were at 27 Highland Rd, Portsmouth, PO4 9DA

https://www.google.com/maps/place/27+Hi ... -1.0693389

Then and now (Automata replaced the Dorothy shop, according to Mel Croucher):

MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:44 pm
Joefish wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:08 am 14 Rathbone Place, London surely?
I did head up there once, but couldn't find any numbers on the doors in the right range.
Going by streetview, I think it's Joe's Juicebar.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5170355 ... 384!8i8192

That big 14 above the door might give us a clue.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Rorthron wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:51 pm There is a mini-Matthew smith pilgrimage:

His school: the Mosslands School, Mossland Drive, Wallasey, Merseyside, CH45 8PJ
I popped along with my camera this morning, just before 9.

Now, it may not have been the most enjoyable day trip, but I will say that police response times are excellent these days.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:43 pm I will say that police response times are excellent these days.
You'll be grateful for that when you get to Holt Rd.
BertyFromDK
Drutt

Post by BertyFromDK »

Sinclair User was published by ECC Publications Ltd (April 1982 - August 1984), then EMAP (September 84 - May 1993).

ECC Publications lived at
30-31 Islington Green,
London N1 8BJ

EMAP Lived at
Priory Court, 30-32 Farringdon Lane,
London EC1R 3AU
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Shortly before lockdown (yes, hi, everyone, I'm back from doing the charity thing and just about ready to plunge back into retrogaming - bear with me!), I had a stand-up gig in Telford, Shropshire. Takes me a while to get there, so I had the afternoon off and I have been planning a video feature on the three main Spectrum magazines, so I thought I'd record all my links outside Crash's former HQ in King Street, Ludlow.

In Crash's heyday, the ground floor was a branch of Victoria Wine, a chain of liquor shops that went under about a decade ago. Nowadays it's some health food and vitamins store called The Grape Tree, as you may have seen earlier in this thread. I popped in for a snack on my drive over to Telford (and that was quite a way away).

I've been in 14 Rathbone Place for a job interview, for what it became after Dennis Publishing vacated it - the HQ of Nickelodeon UK/Paramount Channel. All their admin and television studios were crammed into that small multi-storey place, and by spooky coincidence, the chap interviewing me was Eddie McKendrick - the former publisher of Crash, who told me he had been one of the many Lloyd Mangrams. (Also going for the same job was Paul Rose/Mr Biffo of Digitiser fame - he told me of the tiny salary on offer, glad I didn't it!)

Despite SU being in north London, I've never been anywhere near their former HQ, not even when in my clubbing days down at Fabric, which isn't far away.

I popped over to the Baron Of Beef after visiting Cambridge Centre For Computing History at the Spectrum's 35th anniversary...

I occasionally have to travel through Kempston on the way to work. Not that I've done that lately (mostly WFH), but could manage a photo of the Kempston joystick place this week. (Ironically, a company that used to make peripherals for the Spectrum and many other 8-bit and 16-bit computers back in the day, is one of our clients, and it's nothing to do with Kempston.)

I sometimes run round the Finedon Road Industrial Estate in Wellingborough, and my usual 5K route takes me round one of the many UK bases Activision had - Units 3 & 4, Lloyd Close - in the 8-bit era. However, I don't think it was a hub for programming, more like admin. The skip outside it used to have many returned cassettes, regularly raided by kids from the nearby council estate. You'd see a lot of children with Hacker badges.

At some point in the 1990s, Sir Clive Sinclair was selling small kit radios using an address in Wellingborough at the Denington Industrial Estate. Can't think where now, but, wow, that's a come down. Everything there is grotty, circa 1960s.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

Rorthron wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:59 pm Then and now:

Oh man - I so want to visit the Style Bar next door!
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

I forgotten about my promise to head off to Kempston this morning. When I finished work, my manager handed me the April 1986 edition of ZX Computing, something he had found while tidying up his house and he knew was into the Speccy. This reminded me to pop over to Kempston, and sure enough, a full page advert in the inside front cover showed the address - 1-3 Singer Way.

It's now occupied by a company called Parrott Construction...

https://twitter.com/ReheatedPixels/stat ... 0508427268

Incidentally, that edition of ZX Computing is VERY Kempston heavy, as they review the Kempston and AMX mouse devices that had come out, both retailing for £69.95, as well as profiling them as a news piece in their own right.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Blue Plaques? Pff. I'll bet that Chris Sievey is the only Spectrum game programmer to have an actual statue in his honour.

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Mpk wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:55 am Blue Plaques? Pff. I'll bet that Chris Sievey is the only Spectrum game programmer to have an actual statue in his honour.
Closely connected to the Speccy enough for me. I've added it to the original list. This is turning into quite a road trip.
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

Noticed that US Gold isn't on the list ( Unit 2, Holford Way, Holford Park, Birmingham ).
I used to work at a site on the same estate, which has expanded since, but all the original units / buildings are still in place.
Last time I looked they appeared to be empty and getting a re-fit.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

p13z wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:43 am Noticed that US Gold isn't on the list ( Unit 2, Holford Way, Holford Park, Birmingham ).
Added. There's nothing like wandering around a quiet and unfamiliar industrial estate to make you feel uneasy is there? Even more if you tell a security guard you're a tourist.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Another Irish blue plaque. New Concepts Ltd. Thanks @Daveysloan

It looks perfect for the itinerant spechum, who can marvel at the Estate Agent at #37 and stay at the boutique hotel next door.
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

How about Probe Software, 155 Mitcham Road, London SW17? https://archive.org/details/ComputerAnd ... ew=theater

Also Imagine House 5 Sir Thomas Street Liverpool Merseyside L1 6BW
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

Psion Software
2 Huntsworth Mews Gloucester Place London NW1 6DD
https://archive.org/details/NH2021_Popu ... 1/mode/2up
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

74 King Street, Dudley is where Gargoyle Games and later FTL produced their stuff.

Second floor IIRC. Went there once during school lunchtime (which was down the road) and Follis & Carter gave us a load of free posters.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

p13z wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:31 am Durell Software are still operating from the same address in Taunton that appeared on their Speccy cassette inlays.
They (he?) currently seem to do software for estate agents.
Walking past the other day I noticed they have finally left the building :(
End of an era. All Durell Software signs removed.
It now appears to be a private cosmetic dental practice.
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

5MinuteRetro wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:39 am It's the door just to the left of this kebab shop. Perfect spot for a blue plaque. :)

I didn't know that was their original address (I know the area very well as it's my hometown - can confirm there is, and was, bog all to do)

Going by old adverts, the Bedford Road address was still being advertised in September 83, but by December 83 they'd moved to Singer Way as shown in Pete's tweet. That industrial estate was built in 83 and 84 so they would've been the very first tenants.

I'm just annoyed I was in Manchester a couple of months ago, probably two minutes from Central Street at one point, and failed to make the pilgrimage. And prior to that, in Cambridge last year I saw the Baron of Beef and wondered why I knew the name.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Lee P wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:03 am I didn't know that was their original address (I know the area very well as it's my hometown - can confirm there is, and was, bog all to do)
This is your moment to put your home town on the map Lee - buy up the property and set up THE KEMPSTON EXPERIENCE. Glass cabinets as far as the eye can see of Joysticks, with a 'hunt the Centrionics Interface E' for the kiddies.
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

Nice idea Dave, but that would involve moving 100 miles back up north to Kempston. (I'm in Kent, most of you are up north from where I'm sitting)

I know this is of no interest to anyone except me and maybe @PeteProdge, but I've been digging around some more about Kempston Micro Electronics.

The very first ad I can find for them is from August 1982, when the address was 60 Adamson Court, Hillgrounds Road, Kempston. That's just a residential address, almost certainly a flat in what locals call the "Banana Block". If you stuck a blue plaque anywhere round there it'd be sold for scrap within five minutes.

By the time of January 1983's Sinclair User the address had changed to 180A Bedford Road, probably an office above one of the takeaways. (There were takeaways there in the 80s too, I remember a kebab/chip shop that I never went in, because it was further away than the best chip shop in town)

Then from winter 1983 onwards the address changes again to 30 Singer Way, a brand new industrial estate ten minutes away. This now seems to be a greasy spoon cafe serving the estate. BARMY BURGER'S anyone?

This lasts until mid-1984, when they start publishing the address as just "Singer Way", but with the same postcode, MK42 7AF. But spot the difference between these two SU ads.

March 1985

April 1985

Same address, same phone number, but different postcode, MK42 7AW. That's on the other side of Singer Way, opposite unit 30.

And later on, in ads from early 1986 (including the one Pete saw in ZX Computing), you can see the full address, 1-3 Singer Way MK42 7AW. This is the place Pete photographed for his tweet. But look at the address...

Kempston Micro Sales, not Kempston Micro Electronics. I don't know if they moved offices in Spring 85 or just had two units and stuck the sales department in a different building.

And in a further plot twist, there's a YS ad in June 1986 which gives the address for Kempston Micro Sales as three or four miles away on 4 Manton Lane, Bedford MK41 7HY, with a new phone number. 4 Manton Lane is a house, and the postcode doesn't match, but it's most likely Unit 4 Manton Lane Industrial Estate, MK41 7PB, now occupied by an electrical company.

Then there's silence for over a year before a mention in Crash November 1987, which doesn't give an address, just "Kempston Data" and a Milton Keynes phone number - again I'm assuming a lot here but Kempston Data may have been a new company set up after the original one went bust. I found the full address in a mid-1988 YS: 22 Linford Forum, Rockingham Drive, Milton Keynes MK14 6LY - another industrial estate.

Anyone fancy a pilgrimage? It would kill an hour or so before heading to Cambridge where there's actually stuff to do.