Playing on the ZX Spectrum Next, with Jim Bagley

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Playing on the ZX Spectrum Next, with Jim Bagley

Post by PeteProdge »

As you know, I went to Play Expo in Blackpool two weeks ago, armed with a video camera. The resulting 30-min video - which stars our very [mention]R-Tape[/mention] - is now online...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWEvMe5UJno

At about 16 mins in, I play on the ZX Spectrum Next for the first time, with Jim Bagley looking on. We play his game, Baggers In Space, which starts off like JetPac, then goes a bit like Starquake. I'm not that good at it, so I have Jim playing it, plus I ask him for the latest on the ZX Spectrum Next.

There are also Q&As with various retrogaming people with an online presence, a lot of ZX Spectrum love in there. I also ask Quang from Asobi.tech about the possibility of his new creation Mao Mao Castle appearing on the Speccy!
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Re: Playing on the ZX Spectrum Next, with Jim Bagley

Post by hitm4n »

Cool video, enjoyed that.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Good vid prodge.

I'm jealous that you got your hands on the actual Next. The buzz of a busy event is a good thing, but the downside is that it's hard to get on the more popular machines. It would have been nice to be able to have a proper try in a quieter setting, and without a queue building up behind you. Hopefully we'll get this chance come January.

I'm surprised the interviews came out—I couldn't hear myself think in there.

Chortle—bloody bleak ending to the vid though!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Great video [mention]PeteProdge[/mention], and nice to see [mention]R-Tape[/mention] in the flesh!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Great video, I wish I could have been there too.

By the way, R-Tape is completely different from how I imagined him! :lol:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Alessandro wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:05 pm Great video, I wish I could have been there too.

I normally wear clothes and don't have magenta skin :-)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Just watched the video, very nice.

I'm also jealous of Pete playing the ZX Next, seems an amazing machine! Grrrrrr! :)
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Baggers in Space looks wonderful
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:03 pm I'm jealous that you got your hands on the actual Next. The buzz of a busy event is a good thing, but the downside is that it's hard to get on the more popular machines. It would have been nice to be able to have a proper try in a quieter setting, and without a queue building up behind you.
I can't quite remember the exact time of day I got on the Next, but there wasn't a queue for me and no hordes of people to battle with! It was quite easy to have a go on it. Seems to be early Saturday afternoon according to the video's timestamp. I could have tried the rubber-key-replica models, but - *whispers* - I've never liked the rubber key keyboards, I prefer any subsequent Speccy. You need to have proper keys, I don't like novelty pencil cases!
R-Tape wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:03 pmHopefully we'll get this chance come January.
I'm not a backer, but I think I'll buy one, when/if they're available to those of us outside the initial backing wave.
R-Tape wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:03 pmI'm surprised the interviews came out—I couldn't hear myself think in there.
Ah, you see, I parked up quite a way up the promenade road (I don't think Britannia Hotels deserve any more of my money for their highly neglected venue) and planned to film the whole thing on that pocket-sized battered-but-working household camcorder (the one I used for Digitiser Live). When I got into the venue, I didn't realise how very dark and how noisy it was. I knew visually things would come out really murky and if I tried to grade it brighter, it'd be full of grain and quite pixellated.

Headed all the way back to the car, picked up my professional video camera - which resides in a shoulder bag, along with its accessories, including that hand-held mic (which I had connected with a 6-metre cable that I normally use for the microphone at my comedy gigs). I'd only meant that for the presenter links in actual Blackpool (Norbreck could be considered on the very outskirts). Really inconvenient to drag that around with me everywhere, and had to keep my feet near it when playing games... but yeah, I've had a lot compliments on the video and sound. It performs really well in low-light conditions.

The camera also records sound from its built-in mic (omnidirectional, picks up everything), but as any pro editor will tell you, you avoid using that, it's there to sync up with sound recorded from a better mic. And I can tell you, having listened to the camera's sound, the difference between the two audio tracks is like night and day. VERY noisy. That said, I didn't always have the hand-held mic in the right place, so there's a few spots in the video where I bring in the camera audio - a reluctant but necessary move.

Phew. Sorry, I can waffle on about video production notes for ages.
R-Tape wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:03 pmChortle—bloody bleak ending to the vid though!
Heh, yeah, the thing about retrogaming is that it's quite out of character for me, as I look down on people of my age who bang on about Britpop and live their lives as if the 1990s never ended. I get tired of nostalgia being thrown in my face, all those toe-curling 'we remember when there were only three channels on TV, we drank from the hose, we got spanked by the teacher, we contracted rickets and scurvy, we handed over four groats to the landowners just for the privilege of fighting for King George' memes on Facebook. I think nostalgia has propelled this country into a rather divided state recently, but hey, enough of that...

Nostalgia is great as long as you don't live in it permanently. And I am TRYING to embrace a few modern games. Honestly.
Alessandro wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:05 pm Great video, I wish I could have been there too.
It was far better than I thought it would be! I got so carried away with filming, that I hardly touched any games on Saturday.
Alessandro wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:05 pmBy the way, R-Tape is completely different from how I imagined him! :lol:
Same here! He came up to introduce himself to me, could have been anyone! And immediately after chatting to him, someone I know in real life - Jake L - approached me, I didn't know they were gonna be there!
R-Tape wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:03 pm I normally wear clothes and don't have magenta skin :-)
And you don't pose like you're on the cover of that Nirvana album.
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:42 pm I'm also jealous of Pete playing the ZX Next, seems an amazing machine! Grrrrrr! :)
It's very slick indeed, although, when it kicks into all those colours and the pixels are fatter, it makes you feel like you're on an Amstrad CPC or a Commodore 64 instead of a Spectrum.
Andre Leao wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:59 am Baggers in Space looks wonderful
Yep, I'm glad it wasn't just JetPac-with-better-graphics!

And elsewhere in the video is a Tetris clone featuring a beloved character from the ZX Spectrum's early days, which [THREAD SHUT DOWN BY LUTON BUSINESSMAN]
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

He's a bit speccy isn't he?

(dyasee what I did there?)

Great video, loved the guy dressed as Octav1us the most!