Your Sinclair Seal Of Approval

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Your Sinclair Seal Of Approval

Post by uglifruit »

My dad died last week (that's a glum start to a post, sorry). Anyway, I've been going through his paperwork and found his pay slips were all in an A4 folder I'd adorned with this sticker back in the mid 80s:

It made me smile to see it again (unsurprisingly not much has made me smile this week).

I wonder where I stuck the rest of them.
CLEAR 23855
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Re: Your Sinclair Seal Of Approval

Post by toot_toot »

Sorry to hear about your dad.

I remember I had a YS “I’ve got big tips” badge for having a Robocop tip published... I wonder what happened to it!
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

So sorry to hear about your dad.

It always amazes me that the smallest and most innocuous things can make us smile through seemingly endless times of darkness. My thoughts are with you and yours.
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

uglifruit wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:38 pm It made me smile to see it again (unsurprisingly not much has made me smile this week).

I wonder where I stuck the rest of them.
My old man was an old-school trader but, in his later years, became more of a hoarder of worthless junk. Throughout the 1990s, before he died, he kept telling me that, when the time came, I should make sure I cleared out his lockup because it was full of 'expensive computers'... "Sell those on, boy, and you'll make a fortune!". Well, he did eventually die, in 2003, and I duly went to the lockup. There, I found a bunch of technological dinosaurs -- Amigas/Amstrads/Spectrums etc. This being 2003 and not 2019, the retro scene just didn't exist for these like it does now, so I just kinda sighed and rolled my eyes, loaded them and a load of other old sh!t -- vacuum cleaners... so many old vacuum cleaners! -- into a van and took the lot to the local dump (/recycling centre).

Thing is, *now* that bunch of old computers really would be worth a (small) fortune. No so sure about the vacuums cleaners. :)

So yeah, my dad died 17 years ago but that memory -- and others like it -- still have the ability to make me smile. You'll never get your dad back, but the memories you created together will stick with you forever.
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Thanks all... And it was lawnmowers, rather than vacuum cleaners for my dad!

I went through his stuff a few years ago when he declined massively (actually rather fun) putting a lot of his stuff into storage, as I was more concerned with just looking after him than his stuff. I didn't throw anything I regret throwing, and was pleased to donate my old Crash and Input magazines to the retro computing museum (rather than just into paper recycling).

I'll return to that stuff when I'm feeling a bit emotionally stronger and start the process of actually getting rid of things. I do know the whereabout a lot of my old Speccy stuff in there (there's a boxed comcon joystick interface that I'm eager to dig out).
CLEAR 23855