Unclue Clive personal appearances?

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Unclue Clive personal appearances?

Post by SteveSmith »

It just occurred to me that, AFAIK, Clive doesn't appear at any retro events. I'm sure he would be a massive draw. Maybe it's because he's getting too old now?
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: Unclue Clive personal appearances?

Post by Ralf »

He has never appeared. In the 90s, in the 00s, in the 10s. Never ever.

I would say it's a personality issue, he has been never sentimental at all about his old computer creations.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

He had to appear at the presentation of the ZX Vega on the 8th of July, 2015, but a few days before he had an accident at home and hurt himself, so he just sent a personal message which was read that day.

I guess that would have been my only chance to meet The Man himself - and it didn't happen :cry: Well, at least it was nothing serious, and he will turn 80 on the next 30th of July.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

Back in the late 80s I was working for a company called Wordmongers, which was one of the very few companies writing software for Clive's then-new Z88 laptop machine. He was keen to push his new product, so we got him to come along to our stand at a ZX Microfair. He was only there about 30 minutes, most of which he spent on our mobile phone. He did shake a few hands and chat to a few people and I've got a photo of me and him somewhere. But it was clearly an uncomfortable experience for him and I don't think he went to any more such events.
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

dfzx wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:49 am Back in the late 80s I was working for a company called Wordmongers, which was one of the very few companies writing software for Clive's then-new Z88 laptop machine. He was keen to push his new product, so we got him to come along to our stand at a ZX Microfair. He was only there about 30 minutes, most of which he spent on our mobile phone. He did shake a few hands and chat to a few people and I've got a photo of me and him somewhere. But it was clearly an uncomfortable experience for him and I don't think he went to any more such events.
Was this 1987 or 1988? I went to one of those ZX Microfairs and was told I missed Clive Sinclair by a matter of minutes.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

PeteProdge wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:34 pm Was this 1987 or 1988? I went to one of those ZX Microfairs and was told I missed Clive Sinclair by a matter of minutes.
That sounds about right. Mid'87 at a guess, it was early in the Z88's life.

You didn't miss much, to be honest. He's not a public performer. :)

My most vivid memory is of people wandering past, staring at him with their mouths slightly open. He had quite a cult following.
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Oh how I used to love those microfairs!! At the horticultural halls in Westminster if I recall correctly?! Great places to meet the programmers and surprise that my dad knew more than one of them!!!!
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

I went to a 16bit show at the horticultural hall in about 1990, was promised amazing discounts awaited me inside. I went full of hope for an Amiga or St, I returned home deflated and empty handed.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Age aside, they just don't sound quite his cup of tea to me—especially the gaming modern ones like PLAYexpo. I might have mentioned before, but if he does ever go to one, I have a few questions for him about a certain folding bicycle...
dfzx wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:52 pm You didn't miss much, to be honest. He's not a public performer. :)
Nonsense! His performance with the newspaper in the Baron of Beef was pure pre-match boxing! (Assuming the drama "Micromen" is anything to go by)
Cosmium
Microbot

Post by Cosmium »

arkannoyed wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:08 pm Oh how I used to love those microfairs!! At the horticultural halls in Westminster if I recall correctly?!
That sounds about right. They were full of atmosphere and enthusiasm for the then new ZX machines. At the same time they were charmingly amateurish, with each software house's stand being little more than tables set up with their offerings! A far cry from later, slicker PCW shows or E3.

But it was the best place to get together with like-minded people and see all the new offerings, with everything under one roof. I remember traveling back home on the tube feeling a mixture of satisfaction and exhaustion having taken in as much as I could of everything on offer :)