Specchums and the coronavirus.

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Re: Specchums and the coronavirus.

Post by llewelyn »

Good one Stupidget! Never occurred to me.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Not everything is bad news about the coronavirus.

Eurovision Song Contest has been cancelled!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I'm not a huge fan of Eurovision, but I used to love Terry Wogan doing the UK commentry.
Firefox

Post by Firefox »

Remember that year Lordi won? (2006, IIRC.) That was the best one ever! :twisted:
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Firefox wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:38 pm Remember that year Lordi won? (2006, IIRC.) That was the best one ever! :twisted:
https://youtu.be/gAh9NRGNhUU
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:27 pm I'm not a huge fan of Eurovision, but I used to love Terry Wogan doing the UK commentry.
I never understood why we didn't have an English commentator.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:54 pm Not everything is bad news about the coronavirus.

Eurovision Song Contest has been cancelled!
Residents in Venice are reporting their canals are the cleanest they've been in years.
On the other hand, there's no pasta anywhere in the world! ( Or maybe just Essex)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Out of interest how have countries outside the UK dealt with School closures and the need to keep key staff such as medical staff at work. The view here is that many of these essential staff will have school age children so there is a plan here for schools to stay open for their children.

How has your Country handled this dilemma?
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

In Spain it depended on the region till the goberment's state of emergency declaration.

Here in Andalusia since last monday (too late, in my opinion).

I see closed schools as an example of 'crisis=opportunities'. I mean, kids are getting used to using lots of tech resourses for e-learning. I find it great. Teachers are making a great effort to keep education in this situation.
Firefox

Post by Firefox »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:30 pm Out of interest how have countries outside the UK dealt with School closures and the need to keep key staff such as medical staff at work. The view here is that many of these essential staff will have school age children so there is a plan here for schools to stay open for their children.
I really can't believe that - everybody knows first-hand that schools are biological reactors that make sure everybody in the community that has kids catches every last virus that comes along!

Maybe they could turn them into optional daycare centres for children of medical staff, and send the rest home? :?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

RWAC wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:08 pm Residents in Venice are reporting their canals are the cleanest they've been in years.
On the other hand, there's no pasta anywhere in the world! ( Or maybe just Essex)
Finally! At the back of every cupboard in the world, gathering dust, is a pasta machine that was never wanted nor used. NOW IS THE TIME!

Opens tins of spaghetti hoops.
I never understood why we didn't have an English commentator.
It's just one of those Eurovision things, like the way we pretend that Israel and Australia are part of Europe for a night. But I'm glad we had him, no-one can get drunk on-air and both celebrate & debase the spectacle the way he could.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Peter mentioned the schools, and if I could mention the other end of the age range: how are people managing with getting groceries to elderly relatives remotely? Especially if they don't really use computers. For totally understandable reasons, it's hard to get any online grocery deliveries within several weeks. It sounds like the shops are reacting, but they'll have to improve very quickly.

I'm feeling bad, because I've been bollocking them to take the government guidance seriously, but then I have no straightforward solutions to get them basic supplies.
+3code

Post by +3code »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:30 pm Out of interest how have countries outside the UK dealt with School closures and the need to keep key staff such as medical staff at work. The view here is that many of these essential staff will have school age children so there is a plan here for schools to stay open for their children.

How has your Country handled this dilemma?
here in Spain, online classes have been used, as Juan says, and relatives and neighbors for the care
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Interesting, because older people are apparently more at risk parents have been told here not to leave their children with parents or grandparents.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:43 pm Peter mentioned the schools, and if I could mention the other end of the age range: how are people managing with getting groceries to elderly relatives remotely? Especially if they don't really use computers. For totally understandable reasons, it's hard to get any online grocery deliveries within several weeks. It sounds like the shops are reacting, but they'll have to improve very quickly.

I'm feeling bad, because I've been bollocking them to take the government guidance seriously, but then I have no straightforward solutions to get them basic supplies.
Hi Dave,

This is a nightmare for me too. We do use Wilshire Farm Food who deliver meals, and Milk and More are the new name for the milkman. My sister lives close by so normally does the caring, but she is in a at risk group and we are four hours away. All a bit stressful!
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

I woke up this morning with a fever so I'm currently stuck at home. Probably wasn't caused by the virus, but I don't really know for sure yet.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:43 pm Peter mentioned the schools, and if I could mention the other end of the age range: how are people managing with getting groceries to elderly relatives remotely? Especially if they don't really use computers. For totally understandable reasons, it's hard to get any online grocery deliveries within several weeks. It sounds like the shops are reacting, but they'll have to improve very quickly.

24 hour supermarkets round our way are now closing at 10pm in order to restock the shelves. Basic supplies should be available when the supermarket opens, for a few hours at least. I even managed to get toilet rolls this morning. Of course, if you're parents don't live close, getting the supplies to them is another matter.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:22 pm Hi Dave,

This is a nightmare for me too. We do use Wilshire Farm Food who deliver meals, and Milk and More are the new name for the milkman. My sister lives close by so normally does the caring, but she is in a at risk group and we are four hours away. All a bit stressful!
Aye a bit, but it'll be fine. Most important is that the supermarkets are aware of it, and it's lucrative for them. It should just be a case of giving them time to adapt. But certainly anyone that doesn't *need* to do it online should stop for the moment (and whoever your are—stop buying all the bogroll!)

As the schools close, this could be a perfect time for the venerable trade of errand boy/girl to reappear. One of my aunts could even supply the coal for the youngling to smear across their cheeks old Yorkshire stylee. Cue the hovis advert music.

Granvilllle! F-f-f-ecth yer cloth! (I can do the stammer if it helps recruitment!)
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Schools closing should open up more delivery slots as schools will no longer need deliveries.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

RWAC wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:03 pm Schools closing should open up more delivery slots as schools will no longer need deliveries.
It's different organisations I'm afraid.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:30 pm ...

Maybe they could turn them into optional daycare centres for children of medical staff, and send the rest home? :?
Here in Portugal, that is exactly what as been done.

Schools are now "transformed"/adapted into day care facilities for the children of essential personnel, namely:
- security forces (police, military, etc...)
- health personnel (doctors, nurses, pharmacy, ambulance and fireman operators )

And most teachers are trying to give remote online classes to the rest of the students that must stay home.

Only basic necessity shops are allowed to be open, (food, drink, toilet paper :lol: , etc...)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

djnzx48 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:49 pm I woke up this morning with a fever so I'm currently stuck at home. Probably wasn't caused by the virus, but I don't really know for sure yet.
Look I'm not having you malingering when you have literally world-beating AY music to do.

Take care mate. You'll be grand. As you say, very unlikely, but even if, for as good as everyone it's just a good thing to get out of the way without special care.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:22 pm My sister lives close by so normally does the caring, but she is in a at risk group and we are four hours away. All a bit stressful!
I read that quickly and thought you said you were four houses away. Was about to call you a lazy git but as you were... :lol:
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:16 pm
djnzx48 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:49 pm I woke up this morning with a fever so I'm currently stuck at home. Probably wasn't caused by the virus, but I don't really know for sure yet.
Look I'm not having you malingering when you have literally world-beating AY music to do.

Take care mate. You'll be grand. As you say, very unlikely, but even if, for as good as everyone it's just a good thing to get out of the way without special care.
Thanks. Luckily the symptoms are fairly mild at the moment, and they don't think there's been much or any community transmission so far. Staying isolated is probably the best option.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Ahh, that would mean relatives and/or friends that are not in the “risk of complications” group going and buying supplies and then delivering said supplies to those in the “risk of complications” group.

However, you still have to work out how to decontaminate / clean said supplies so that you remove or kill any potential virus. If the item is non perishable, waiting 72 hours (probably 24 hours is enough) will result in any virus becoming unviable.

Then you need to wash your hands before taking round to them. And obviously staying two meters away from them...

What is worse, is trying to get an elderly relative to actually comply especially if they have dementia...

When my father lived at home, in his later years he had dementia that got worse every week. He is no longer in the land of the living. When he was still at home, we had problems trying to get him to listen, let alone understand our wishes and instructions not to go for walks in his own (he would take ever increasing amounts of time before he found his way home). But he would get upset and frustrated if we tried to stop him. I’m glad that we don’t have that to deal with, but I can’t stop thinking about all those other active older people who don’t understand, or don’t want their lives to change, still insisting on trying to carry on as normal. Plus obviously the difficulties that families who have a relative who has dementia will have.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.