Specchums and the coronavirus.

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Re: Specchums and the coronavirus.

Post by DouglasReynholm »

I'm a type 1 Diabetic, we're only just behind heart conditions on the co-morbidity scale for C19 deaths, and I've already had one near death experience due to diabetes already this year. So I'm pretty nervous.

Would someone please loan me their Next so I can realise my dream of playing JSW at 28MHz before I go? If you could dress up as a superhero for the dropping off (I'll just watch through the letterbox) that would be even better!

(Dark humour aside, stay well everyone)
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:35 pm (You're Russian or E. Europe aren't you Bedazzle?)
Russian, born and still living in Estonia.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Russian, born and still living in Estonia.
Bedazzle, if I may ask, are you Moroz/Dmitri of ZxArt or another person? I was always confused about it ;)
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Americans have run out of toilet paper (although recent news reported that bidets were the new "in thing" there...) and now are stockpiling guns and ammo :o :shock: :?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UDkRpqO-b0
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Alessandro wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:31 am Americans have run out of toilet paper
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

you know that toilet paper is used for any kind of cleaning, sanitation and sanitization. Shortage is generalised, somemetimes paper does not even get to supermarkets. Did you figure out that army, hospitals, emergencies and police are the real hoarders?
Muahahah I've just destroyed your jokes. What a bunch of teenagers :lol:
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

In my country (Serbia), according to officials, there are about 100 infected in the first 14 days of the pandemic and 95% of them got the virus in Italy.
The state of emergency has been declared since Monday, schools don't work, its forbidden to move from 8pm to 5am in the morning, a ban on going out over the age of 65 and strict isolation measures for anyone who comes from abroad up to 28 days if they came from Italy.
What really happened in Italy?
The death toll appears to have reached those in China, where the virus has been present since mid-December with a far larger population.
How was it even possible for such a catastrophic situation to happen in just one month?
It seems to me that the authorities reacted quite quickly, but that the situation was not taken seriously by the population and that indiscipline led to the spread of the virus.
When the virus entered healthcare facilities, a worse scenario occurred, especially in the north of the country.
This is how we are presented with the situation in Italy through the media, there may be some other causes (higher average age of the population etc), but the current figures are devastating.
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Post by llewelyn »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:17 am Image
THAT was bloody brilliant Ast_A Moore! Was it your own idea? Made me laugh. Thanks.
Replace the Adolf pictures with Chump's and put Republican senators in guard uniforms and you've got a winner if it can be modified and put out fast enough?
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Pegaz wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:33 pm What really happened in Italy?
The death toll appears to have reached those in China, where the virus has been present since mid-December with a far larger population.
The majority of deaths in China occurred in the region of Wuhan, which has roughly 60 millions inhabitants, just like Italy as a whole.

About 70% of cases, including deaths, are reported in Lombardy and parts of Veneto, Piedmont and Emilia-Romagna, that is to say, about 20% and 25% of the total extension and population of the country respectively. China began its decline in infections around 20 February, just when the first cases were reported in Italy.

In Italy the ratio between deaths and infections is much higher than in China, i.e. less people are infected but deaths are more common. A possible explanation is the difference in life expectancy of both countries, which means a higher number of elderly people with a complex medical history behind them in Italy.

In addition to that, shops and supermarkets are stocked with food and basic necessity goods, people try to carry on doing their own business as much normally as they can, and although there are thousands of people being fined each day for not observing the rules about circulation, the vast majority is trying to comply and hold on.

All of the above is not meant to deny that the situation is quite serious, but to underline how inaccurately some foreign media have been reporting the situation. We are neither dying en masse, nor falling into chaos.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

What's the fine [mention]Alessandro[/mention], and what is a valid reason for being our?

I ask as that may come to London if more people don't start complying.

It's very good of you to give us updates from Italy (and others of you from your home countries) I find it very interesting to hear the real story.

Sorry for any spelling issues. I have the wrong glasses with me.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Measures contained in the decrees issued by the government refer to article 650 of the penal code, which states that whoever does not comply with any legislative provisions legally issued upon reasons of public security, order or hygiene, is punished, when the fact does not constitute a worse offence, with detention up to three months or with a fine amounting to a maximum of € 206. You should carry a form stating your general data (name, date of birth, residence etc.), a statement that you are not under quarantine, and a general motivation for your presence in the open, e.g. going to work, shopping, a medical visit etc., plus a valid ID.

If you do not have that form, police officers can give you one, which you must fill and sign. If you cannot justify your presence, for instance if you are caught wandering around at a time when shops and doctors are closed, or if you do not comply with other rules such as the prohibition of gathering (cases reported in my home town include a group of kids holding a bonfire by night on the beach, which is already an offence by itself) or of not respecting the compulsory distance of one meter from one another, then you can be fined.

A worse offence like falsely declaring not to be under quarantine, which officers can discover by consulting the data base of confined subjects, means committing a crime of false declaration to a public officer, which is punished with imprisonment from one to six years.

Of course, it is not necessary to bring a form if you just need to bring out the garbage, or walking the dog if you have one, but for everything else, you should.
Firefox

Post by Firefox »

Last night Louis Rossmann (celebrity Apple product fixer) posted a brilliant video of him zipping around an almost completely deserted Manhattan after work on his electric bike.

It was almost like I Am Legend except for:
  • It was night-time.
  • All the city lights were on.
  • No roaming herds of deer or lions.
  • There was the occasional car or bus to be seen, and at one point two humans could be seen crossing the road.
Probably my favourite bit was him doing doughnuts in a completely empty Times Square. :D

Sadly it's been taken down now, probably because it documents him running about 50 red lights (though he did stop and look both ways each time before he did so).
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

Re: schools

In Finland, if your job is seen as critical - medical staff, police for example, you're still entitled for day care for kids under 9. Kids with working parents are at home from 9 several hours a weekday anyway so they're used to it. For nurseries looks like they will stay open, the concern was some parents would ask grandparents to fill in for nursery which is severely missing the point of all this

I'm trying to work at home while the wife is trying to keep the 9 year old on track with his studies and the 4 year runs around trying to disrupt everyone.

The borders are closed now, excerpt from Finnish paper Ilta Sanomat

We spoke to local resident Antti Kivekäs, who said he has lived on the border for 60 years and has never experienced anything like this before. Previously Kivekäs was able to move freely across the border to the Swedish side and back, but now he had to make a quick shopping trip to Haparanda in Sweden before the border closed.

"I went to buy juice and wine. Now I am here to make sure the border is truly closed and that my mother-in-law stays on the Swedish side," Kivekäs said
Definition of loop : see loop
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

In Spain, the coronavirus lockdown has produced scary scenes...

https://youtu.be/94dywBTfvc8
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Alessandro wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:31 am Americans have run out of toilet paper (although recent news reported that bidets were the new "in thing" there...) and now are stockpiling guns and ammo
Really? Naah!

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/ ... 91297?s=19
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

No home working for me (unless I get ill) as I’m a critical infrastructure worker :shock:

Got issued with a bottle of hand sanitiser when I arrived at work yesterday :shock:

Currently only one person sick in my depot (they were off work before the COVID19 outbreak) so no problems at the moment :D

I hope everyone is careful and stays in good health, and where/if/when people get infected, you don’t get any complications, get well soon and have a complete recovery.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Americans stopping shooting one another? Alas, that’s not very likely.
If anything, this COVID19 outbreak is likely to end up with more gun related injuries and deaths as some individuals overreact :(

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

The UK Government have announced that all bars, clubs, restaurants, gyms and leisure centres must close tonight. They will still allow takeaways though

Seems like we are a couple of weeks behind other countries in terms of restrictions.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Seems like we are a couple of weeks behind other countries in terms of restrictions
Or just a few days like in case of Poland. But yes, most of them closed about a week ago here.

Food on delivery still works though. Actually it's amost patriotic to order something from a local restaurant as it
helps them to survive :)

Some small points like kebab are open but you cannot enter, they give you your dish through a small window.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Unfortunately, Kevin Toms (Football Manager) has got coronavirus. He's telling about the symptoms:

https://twitter.com/KevinToms/status/12 ... 19584?s=09
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

6. Feel fine? Stay at home.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Here, under the state of emergency, some runners or cyclists were arrested.

Some detentions had to happen to make people realise this is a very serious things. If you want to do exercise, do it at home.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:52 pm Here, under the state of emergency, some runners or cyclists were arrested.

Some detentions had to happen to make people realise this is a very serious things. If you want to do exercise, do it at home.
We are getting close to similar restrictions here. Some people are ignoring the warnings, so the government has tonight made one final plea for people to abide by the recommendations of social distancing. If not stricter rules will come into place I imagine.