Specchums and the coronavirus.

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
1bvl109
Dizzy

Re: Specchums and the coronavirus.

Post by 1bvl109 »

I succumb to the implicit reminder viewtopic.php?p=35706#p35706 that we are not supposed to discuss politics too much.
"Truth would quickly cease to be stranger than fiction, once we got used to it." - H.L. Mencken
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

1bvl109 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:10 pm I succumb to the implicit reminder viewtopic.php?p=35706#p35706 that we are not supposed to discuss politics too much.
Hi [mention]1bvl109[/mention] there was certainly no intention of anything implicit there. Its not the way I do things. I just felt bad ruining the flow of the conversation (and was not relevant to the discussion) and [mention]MatGubbins[/mention] provided me with an answer to my query via PM.

We do ask people to generally avoid politics as it can often end up messy. I do however (in this thread) find it extremely interesting how different governments are handling things. You often understand much more than you get from the news when you hear it first hand.

This is the rule (I prefer guidelines) on politics:

app.php/rules#rule-1c

This thread falls under this rule:

app.php/rules#rule-1k
1bvl109
Dizzy

Post by 1bvl109 »

1024MAK wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:23 am Of course one other aspect, is the people being too afraid to go out to work. In the U.K. various workplaces have suspended some or all operations even though they were not required to do so. It’s likely that the government will want these operations to resume along with the easing of the current restrictions. But how do you encourage people to go back to work? How do you give them something tangible?
I don't really see how this relates to the question which mask you shoukd wear, if you have to or want to.
1024MAK wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:23 am Personally I’m not convinced. All it takes is for a story to break where someone tested a fabric or cloth mask or maybe someone who always wears such a mask gets infected and dies, and suddenly many people will loose the trust of the government advice. I think this could be very dangerous.
You only have a certain amount of leeway, you can give to possible irrational behavior.
"Truth would quickly cease to be stranger than fiction, once we got used to it." - H.L. Mencken
1bvl109
Dizzy

Post by 1bvl109 »

MatGubbins wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:09 am How about you can't get access to a high efficiency mask because they're not in stock, and when they do come into stock they are £150 each, and you don't have that amount of money left in the bank.
This is not the situation I see online, but I don't want to weasle out here. So depending on the kind of law you have at your disposal, sue your state or get it, if you can, by [insert illegal action, which might be at your disposal here]. Regardless of Brexit, this might work for most european countries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_ ... man_Rights
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

1024MAK wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:37 am
PeterJ wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:08 am We had to wear masks in certain areas of Vietnam when we were there just before the lockdown. I didn't enjoy the experience at all. It felt very restrictive, but I suppose you would get used to it.
And that’s another problem. If a mask is uncomfortable to wear, people will either keep fiddling with it, or keep removing it and then putting the same one back on. Both activities could result in transferring virus to your mouth, nose or eyes.

I wear spectacles, I often find myself “adjusting” their position, even though I try not to, and even though within minutes they will be back to the same position they were in. Especially when I am suffering from hey fever or it’s a hot day. After thirty odd years I should be used to them by now!

Mark
Yeah, this is one of the main reasons for the "science on masks isn't decided" type of comment, as much as I like the "government are incompetent" argument usually. There are also issues with the fact that home use masks are going to be significantly re-used in a way they wouldn't typically be in a hospital and that increases the likelihood you'll transfer the virus onto the mask and then put it right up against your face. It really isn't the no-brainer argument some people imagine and we might actually be better off all not wearing masks on the whole.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

I took my ten minute walk round the block today and saw someone remove their mask to cough, then put it back on again. Nothing else to add really.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

TMD2003 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:10 pm This does remind me... somewhere on my hard drive I have a recipe for lembas bread, supposedly as close to what Tolkien envisaged as possible. It has been suggested by more than one source that he may have been familiar with hardtack as well...
...and on Monday, after 41 days confined to quarters, I managed to escape at the crack of dawn. I had to, really, as otherwise I'd have had no dinner... or lunch. Three shopping trips were completed by midday, and my bank account was £150 lighter. I remembered to take the lembas bread recipe with me, and made sure I had all the ingredients...

I'd been expecting something along the lines of barely-sweetened shortbread, but the result was far more light and fluffy... a bit like the elves. I severely doubt that one mouthful could fill a grown man, because I've shovelled two already and I'm still hungry. Still, dinner awaits... the remains of yesterday's paella, which I'm treating as a tribute of sorts to Topo Soft, Dinamic, the Mojon Twins, Retroworks, Relevo Videogames and all the other Spanish developers. ¡Olé!

Also, if you want a soundtrack that matches the elven "feast", try this. Beware of the mullets.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

The presnitz is much more filling, a slice of it is more than enough for breakfast, at least for me.

It is a sort of strudel but made with dried fruit - raisins, nuts, hazelnuts and pine nuts, together with butter, eggs, sugar, honey, pulverized biscuits, orange essence and a splash of brown rum. It is typical of Trieste, I first tasted it when I went there to collect research materials for my PhD thesis. I baked the one in the photo last Saturday night.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Alessandro wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:27 pm The presnitz is much more filling, a slice of it is more than enough for breakfast, at least for me.

It is a sort of strudel but made with dried fruit - raisins, nuts, hazelnuts and pine nuts, together with butter, eggs, sugar, honey, pulverized biscuits, orange essence and a splash of brown rum. It is typical of Trieste, I first tasted it when I went there to collect research materials for my PhD thesis. I baked the one in the photo last Saturday night.
That looks absolutely delicious Alessandro, but there's not enough insulin in the world for me to have a slice. :(

(Rum too, my favourite top-shelf tipple)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:51 pm That looks absolutely delicious Alessandro, but there's not enough insulin in the world for me to have a slice. :(
(Rum too, my favourite top-shelf tipple)
Sorry to hear that :( However, my Dad, who must deal with the same issue unfortunately, had a thin slice of it after lunch more than once, without consequences :)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

TMD2003 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:47 pm I'd been expecting something along the lines of barely-sweetened shortbread, but the result was far more light and fluffy... a bit like the elves. I severely doubt that one mouthful could fill a grown man, because I've shovelled two already and I'm still hungry.
Great to see. I've seen pics online that look like regular tartan-shortbread, and others that look like foccacia. These look a bit 'rock cakey' (with whcih there is nothing wrong at all.
Also, if you want a soundtrack that matches the elven "feast", try this. Beware of the mullets.
With this and Pegaz's Iron Maiden link, we seem to be very keen on Spinal Tap inspirations!
Alessandro wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:27 pm The presnitz is much more filling, a slice of it is more than enough for breakfast, at least for me.

Ale, put your Spectrumpedia and annual to one side, there are people here that would pay good money for the food-pr0n that is the "Grussu Cookbook". I love the backstory that every meal seems to have.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

R-Tape wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:05 pm Great to see. I've seen pics online that look like regular tartan-shortbread, and others that look like foccacia. These look a bit 'rock cakey' (with whcih there is nothing wrong at all.
The only rock this lembas recipe resembles is straight out of the quarry in Spellbound Dizzy.

"The crumbly sandstone rock smashes to pieces on the hard floor!"

Or, in this case, it disintegrates in my hands if I grip it too hard.
With this and Pegaz's Iron Maiden link, we seem to be very keen on Spinal Tap inspirations!
Oh, you want actual Iron Maiden, do you? Head straight for the CSSCGC, download Corona Capers, and play it to the bitter end.

My version of Virus, beeped out by a huge battalion of PLAY commands, was so close to the original that ThemTube's tune-detectors have copyright-claimed Daren's video of it on the RZX Archive. And, as if to prove that there are no humans with brains behind this, they've credited Blaze Bayley as the claimant, as he's played Virus live with his solo band, whereas Iron Maiden never have... but they did release it first, and Steve Harris, Janick Gers and Dave Murray also had a hand in writing it.

The rats in this cellar don't realise who they are. Or do they...?
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

PeteProdges last post was March 30th. Anyone heard from him? I miss the polls, wondered where he got to.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I was wondering what none computer based hobbies people have either started because of being at home more (I appreciate some of you will have still been at work - front line staff etc), or been able to spend more time on existing hobbies.

I love gardening, especially growing plants from seed. One of the main things I grow are Sweet Peas. Its been nice working from home so I can keep stuff watered and spend time after 5pm in the garden.

Anyone else want to share? The more unusual the better!

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

hitm4n wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:33 pm PeteProdges last post was March 30th. Anyone heard from him? I miss the polls, wondered where he got to.
Just checked, and he is still very active on Twitter, so at least he is OK.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Water? What's that then?

We have five large water butts, but due to very little rain having fallen over the past month, two are empty and the other three are very nearly empty.

So it's getting harder to keep the plants in the garden watered.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Have you used bath water? No good for us, as we shower.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

This woman seems safe enough

1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

PeterJ wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:29 pm Have you used bath water? No good for us, as we shower.
Yes, funny that you should mention that, today will be the first time this year that I will attempt to siphon water from the bath to the nearest water butt via a hose pipe! While trying not to soak myself :lol:

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Ohh, good luck with that one... A photograph would be good
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

PeterJ wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:42 pm
hitm4n wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:33 pm PeteProdges last post was March 30th. Anyone heard from him? I miss the polls, wondered where he got to.
Just checked, and he is still very active on Twitter, so at least he is OK.
Thanks. I've been checking here daily for a reply (i PMd him too) and checking for those, nothing. Glad he's ok, the sudden silence was loud.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

PeterJ wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:50 pm Ohh, good luck with that one... A photograph would be good
After action pictures :mrgreen:
“There are four lights!”
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

NIce. Good job [mention]1024MAK[/mention]!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

For those of us who choose to, or legally need to wear a facemask whilst out and about, you can now express your Spectrum love at the same time.

https://www.fansgearstore.com/spectrum- ... 29859.html

Edit: This website looks a bit suspect :-) I would not order from them.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

1024MAK wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:00 pm
PeterJ wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:50 pm Ohh, good luck with that one... A photograph would be good
After action pictures :mrgreen:
Nice work. Though it must be a bit of a pain to have to take a bath every time you want to fill it... :P
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com