Specchums and the coronavirus.

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Specchums and the coronavirus.

Post by R-Tape »

TMD2003 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:47 pm I'd been expecting something along the lines of barely-sweetened shortbread, but the result was far more light and fluffy... a bit like the elves. I severely doubt that one mouthful could fill a grown man, because I've shovelled two already and I'm still hungry.
Great to see. I've seen pics online that look like regular tartan-shortbread, and others that look like foccacia. These look a bit 'rock cakey' (with whcih there is nothing wrong at all.
Also, if you want a soundtrack that matches the elven "feast", try this. Beware of the mullets.
With this and Pegaz's Iron Maiden link, we seem to be very keen on Spinal Tap inspirations!
Alessandro wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:27 pm The presnitz is much more filling, a slice of it is more than enough for breakfast, at least for me.

It is a sort of strudel but made with dried fruit - raisins, nuts, hazelnuts and pine nuts, together with butter, eggs, sugar, honey, pulverized biscuits, orange essence and a splash of brown rum. It is typical of Trieste, I first tasted it when I went there to collect research materials for my PhD thesis. I baked the one in the photo last Saturday night.
Ale, put your Spectrumpedia and annual to one side, there are people here that would pay good money for the food-pr0n that is the "Grussu Cookbook". I love the backstory that every meal seems to have.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

R-Tape wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:05 pm Great to see. I've seen pics online that look like regular tartan-shortbread, and others that look like foccacia. These look a bit 'rock cakey' (with whcih there is nothing wrong at all.
The only rock this lembas recipe resembles is straight out of the quarry in Spellbound Dizzy.

"The crumbly sandstone rock smashes to pieces on the hard floor!"

Or, in this case, it disintegrates in my hands if I grip it too hard.
With this and Pegaz's Iron Maiden link, we seem to be very keen on Spinal Tap inspirations!
Oh, you want actual Iron Maiden, do you? Head straight for the CSSCGC, download Corona Capers, and play it to the bitter end.

My version of Virus, beeped out by a huge battalion of PLAY commands, was so close to the original that ThemTube's tune-detectors have copyright-claimed Daren's video of it on the RZX Archive. And, as if to prove that there are no humans with brains behind this, they've credited Blaze Bayley as the claimant, as he's played Virus live with his solo band, whereas Iron Maiden never have... but they did release it first, and Steve Harris, Janick Gers and Dave Murray also had a hand in writing it.

The rats in this cellar don't realise who they are. Or do they...?
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

PeteProdges last post was March 30th. Anyone heard from him? I miss the polls, wondered where he got to.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I was wondering what none computer based hobbies people have either started because of being at home more (I appreciate some of you will have still been at work - front line staff etc), or been able to spend more time on existing hobbies.

I love gardening, especially growing plants from seed. One of the main things I grow are Sweet Peas. Its been nice working from home so I can keep stuff watered and spend time after 5pm in the garden.

Anyone else want to share? The more unusual the better!

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

hitm4n wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:33 pm PeteProdges last post was March 30th. Anyone heard from him? I miss the polls, wondered where he got to.
Just checked, and he is still very active on Twitter, so at least he is OK.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Water? What's that then?

We have five large water butts, but due to very little rain having fallen over the past month, two are empty and the other three are very nearly empty.

So it's getting harder to keep the plants in the garden watered.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Have you used bath water? No good for us, as we shower.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

This woman seems safe enough

1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

PeterJ wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:29 pm Have you used bath water? No good for us, as we shower.
Yes, funny that you should mention that, today will be the first time this year that I will attempt to siphon water from the bath to the nearest water butt via a hose pipe! While trying not to soak myself :lol:

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Ohh, good luck with that one... A photograph would be good
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

PeterJ wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:42 pm
hitm4n wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:33 pm PeteProdges last post was March 30th. Anyone heard from him? I miss the polls, wondered where he got to.
Just checked, and he is still very active on Twitter, so at least he is OK.
Thanks. I've been checking here daily for a reply (i PMd him too) and checking for those, nothing. Glad he's ok, the sudden silence was loud.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

PeterJ wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:50 pm Ohh, good luck with that one... A photograph would be good
After action pictures :mrgreen:
“There are four lights!”
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

NIce. Good job [mention]1024MAK[/mention]!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

For those of us who choose to, or legally need to wear a facemask whilst out and about, you can now express your Spectrum love at the same time.

https://www.fansgearstore.com/spectrum- ... 29859.html

Edit: This website looks a bit suspect :-) I would not order from them.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

1024MAK wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:00 pm
PeterJ wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:50 pm Ohh, good luck with that one... A photograph would be good
Nice work. Though it must be a bit of a pain to have to take a bath every time you want to fill it... :P
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Mark, is this a belated attempt to get on the "gamer girl bathtub water" for sale bandwagon? ;)

(Yes, it was a thing)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:17 am Mark, is this a belated attempt to get on the "gamer girl bathtub water" for sale bandwagon? ;)

(Yes, it was a thing)
Chortle. Oh my.

Mind you, we could try that as an SC donation stretch goal. Peterrr! Get in the tub, and don't forget to scrub your undercarriage!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

That's it... Someone lock the thread... :lol:
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:17 am
1024MAK wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:00 pm After action pictures :mrgreen:
Mark, is this a belated attempt to get on the "gamer girl bathtub water" for sale bandwagon? ;)

(Yes, it was a thing)
Only available with a frog, fox, squirrel, magpie or pigeon included (assuming I can actually catch one as it/they invade our garden)! Fox poo by special request, at extra charge. Freshly scraped sea gull (herring gull) free with any order.

All items sold by weight, P&P extra. Minimum order charge applies. No local pickups. Due to COVID19 orders may be delayed up to 28 days.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

1024MAK wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:03 pm
DouglasReynholm wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:17 am Mark, is this a belated attempt to get on the "gamer girl bathtub water" for sale bandwagon? ;)

(Yes, it was a thing)
Only available with a frog, fox, squirrel, magpie or pigeon included (assuming I can actually catch one as it/they invade our garden)! Fox poo by special request, at extra charge. Freshly scraped sea gull (herring gull) free with any order.

All items sold by weight, P&P extra. Minimum order charge applies. No local pickups. Due to COVID19 orders may be delayed up to 28 days.

Mark
If you look anything like this mate, you might be in with a shout, poo or not!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -bath-wate
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Update:
After approx 9.3mm worth of rain over the last 24 hours, water butt storage is back to 95% full :D
Just one tank is not completely full.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
1bvl109
Dizzy

Post by 1bvl109 »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:51 pm That looks absolutely delicious Alessandro, ...
As does every food picture he posts. To dangerous for me though. My stomach might become artsy and spoiled and refuse to function properly when going back to chips right out of a bag.
DouglasReynholm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:51 pm ... but there's not enough insulin in the world for me to have a slice. :(
Sorry to hear this.
Apart from the raisins and the added sugar must calories here seem to stem from fat however. For me leaving the sugar out and using a few drops of artificial sweetener works great. Also I use Xylitol as a substitute. However I had first to get used to it and increase the dose slowly in order to avoid gastrointestinal problems, but that's a one time thing one has to do if you then use it on a regular base.
"Truth would quickly cease to be stranger than fiction, once we got used to it." - H.L. Mencken
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Aw, cheers! I have missed this place, and did want to continue posting, but as lockdown came, I had a silly idea that turned really huge and ended up raising thousands for the NHS Birmingham Children's Hospital Charity.

I have other interests outside of retrogaming, like running; the cult 70s/80s show Tiswas; stand-up comedy, etc. I had an idea to broadcast a compilation of rare Tiswas clips online each Saturday morning throughout lockdown. And then, maybe even appear on screen to have a social chat to the viewers, as a kind of uplifting 'lockdown' community conversation. And that's how I got streaming on Twitch. We managed to get a couple of people from the show to appear with us, through a Zoom feed, we plugged our JustGiving page and raised over £100 the first time, and from there we attracted even bigger celebrities - like Chris Tarrant; Sylvester McCoy; Toyah Willcox; Sally James, etc, and it ended up being around £2,500 in the end. We only stopped just after the UK pubs reopened as we were extremely knackered (it took 5 evenings out of my week - I've still been working full-time and doing occasional freelance stuff) and the viewership was slightly declining.

Also, when lockdown hit the UK, I was so worried at being denied exercise, I took the opportunity to run at least 5K (3.1 miles) each day. Exercise was never restricted (aside from only one bout of it allowed outside each day during the hardest phase) but I've kept it up. In fact, I was running so much, I felt fit enough to do a marathon, so in early May I did just that, streaming it to Facebook here and there, and getting people to contribute to my chosen charity. That's over £200 going to Alzheimer's Research UK.

Oh, and also during the hardest phase of lockdown, when all pubs and clubs were shut, I did a stand-up gig to my work colleagues through Zoom. Quite surreal to tell jokes to an audience you know is there, but you have no sound of laughter (no, not because I was crap!)... They had to be muted because otherwise, Zoom will focus on the biggest noise! That raised nearly £400 for charity, although I think it was the Amazon voucher auction that was the big draw.

Also, I've been giving away Raspberry Pi 3s to friends, getting them into retrogaming by loading them with a RetroPie image and tens of thousands of games. Last weekend where we camped in a friend's very large back garden, I brought along a telly and Raspberry Pi, getting everyone to take part in Pac Man (yeah, get them with hooked something familiar) at least once and making a physical high score table out of it. My friend's 12-year-old daughter almost got the highest score. She later heavily kicked my arse at the N64 version of Mario Kart, beating everyone else. (She's very familiar with the Nintendo Switch Mario Kart, but never heard of an N64 of course).

I'm still doing the running, I've revived the Tiswas website a little bit, and I always did mean to return here once things got near normal! The promised Double Dragon video for Reheated Pixels will be assembled shortly, everything's been filmed, it's just finding the time to edit it all together.

As you might have seen elsewhere on this forum, the idea of streaming ZX Spectrum games on Twitch very much appeals to me, having done some non-gaming work on that platform. I've got stuff on order from Amazon, like a decent desk microphone, and so I think I'll kick it off later this month.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

You've been very busy then, good stuff, glad you are still about and i've noticed polls started appearing again :) Lovely.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Wow, how lucky are we! I've let them know our bank details, so the funds should be arriving soon. :lol: