Specchums and the coronavirus.

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Re: Specchums and the coronavirus.

Post by hitm4n »

PeterJ wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:42 pm
hitm4n wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:33 pm PeteProdges last post was March 30th. Anyone heard from him? I miss the polls, wondered where he got to.
Just checked, and he is still very active on Twitter, so at least he is OK.
Thanks. I've been checking here daily for a reply (i PMd him too) and checking for those, nothing. Glad he's ok, the sudden silence was loud.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

PeterJ wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:50 pm Ohh, good luck with that one... A photograph would be good
After action pictures :mrgreen:
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

NIce. Good job [mention]1024MAK[/mention]!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

For those of us who choose to, or legally need to wear a facemask whilst out and about, you can now express your Spectrum love at the same time.

https://www.fansgearstore.com/spectrum- ... 29859.html

Edit: This website looks a bit suspect :-) I would not order from them.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

1024MAK wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:00 pm
PeterJ wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:50 pm Ohh, good luck with that one... A photograph would be good
Nice work. Though it must be a bit of a pain to have to take a bath every time you want to fill it... :P
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Mark, is this a belated attempt to get on the "gamer girl bathtub water" for sale bandwagon? ;)

(Yes, it was a thing)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:17 am Mark, is this a belated attempt to get on the "gamer girl bathtub water" for sale bandwagon? ;)

(Yes, it was a thing)
Chortle. Oh my.

Mind you, we could try that as an SC donation stretch goal. Peterrr! Get in the tub, and don't forget to scrub your undercarriage!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

That's it... Someone lock the thread... :lol:
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:17 am
1024MAK wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:00 pm After action pictures :mrgreen:
Mark, is this a belated attempt to get on the "gamer girl bathtub water" for sale bandwagon? ;)

(Yes, it was a thing)
Only available with a frog, fox, squirrel, magpie or pigeon included (assuming I can actually catch one as it/they invade our garden)! Fox poo by special request, at extra charge. Freshly scraped sea gull (herring gull) free with any order.

All items sold by weight, P&P extra. Minimum order charge applies. No local pickups. Due to COVID19 orders may be delayed up to 28 days.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

1024MAK wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:03 pm
DouglasReynholm wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:17 am Mark, is this a belated attempt to get on the "gamer girl bathtub water" for sale bandwagon? ;)

(Yes, it was a thing)
Only available with a frog, fox, squirrel, magpie or pigeon included (assuming I can actually catch one as it/they invade our garden)! Fox poo by special request, at extra charge. Freshly scraped sea gull (herring gull) free with any order.

All items sold by weight, P&P extra. Minimum order charge applies. No local pickups. Due to COVID19 orders may be delayed up to 28 days.

Mark
If you look anything like this mate, you might be in with a shout, poo or not!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -bath-wate
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Update:
After approx 9.3mm worth of rain over the last 24 hours, water butt storage is back to 95% full :D
Just one tank is not completely full.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
1bvl109
Dizzy

Post by 1bvl109 »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:51 pm That looks absolutely delicious Alessandro, ...
As does every food picture he posts. To dangerous for me though. My stomach might become artsy and spoiled and refuse to function properly when going back to chips right out of a bag.
DouglasReynholm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:51 pm ... but there's not enough insulin in the world for me to have a slice. :(
Sorry to hear this.
Apart from the raisins and the added sugar must calories here seem to stem from fat however. For me leaving the sugar out and using a few drops of artificial sweetener works great. Also I use Xylitol as a substitute. However I had first to get used to it and increase the dose slowly in order to avoid gastrointestinal problems, but that's a one time thing one has to do if you then use it on a regular base.
"Truth would quickly cease to be stranger than fiction, once we got used to it." - H.L. Mencken
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

hitm4n wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:33 pm PeteProdges last post was March 30th. Anyone heard from him? I miss the polls, wondered where he got to.
Aw, cheers! I have missed this place, and did want to continue posting, but as lockdown came, I had a silly idea that turned really huge and ended up raising thousands for the NHS Birmingham Children's Hospital Charity.

I have other interests outside of retrogaming, like running; the cult 70s/80s show Tiswas; stand-up comedy, etc. I had an idea to broadcast a compilation of rare Tiswas clips online each Saturday morning throughout lockdown. And then, maybe even appear on screen to have a social chat to the viewers, as a kind of uplifting 'lockdown' community conversation. And that's how I got streaming on Twitch. We managed to get a couple of people from the show to appear with us, through a Zoom feed, we plugged our JustGiving page and raised over £100 the first time, and from there we attracted even bigger celebrities - like Chris Tarrant; Sylvester McCoy; Toyah Willcox; Sally James, etc, and it ended up being around £2,500 in the end. We only stopped just after the UK pubs reopened as we were extremely knackered (it took 5 evenings out of my week - I've still been working full-time and doing occasional freelance stuff) and the viewership was slightly declining.

Also, when lockdown hit the UK, I was so worried at being denied exercise, I took the opportunity to run at least 5K (3.1 miles) each day. Exercise was never restricted (aside from only one bout of it allowed outside each day during the hardest phase) but I've kept it up. In fact, I was running so much, I felt fit enough to do a marathon, so in early May I did just that, streaming it to Facebook here and there, and getting people to contribute to my chosen charity. That's over £200 going to Alzheimer's Research UK.

Oh, and also during the hardest phase of lockdown, when all pubs and clubs were shut, I did a stand-up gig to my work colleagues through Zoom. Quite surreal to tell jokes to an audience you know is there, but you have no sound of laughter (no, not because I was crap!)... They had to be muted because otherwise, Zoom will focus on the biggest noise! That raised nearly £400 for charity, although I think it was the Amazon voucher auction that was the big draw.

Also, I've been giving away Raspberry Pi 3s to friends, getting them into retrogaming by loading them with a RetroPie image and tens of thousands of games. Last weekend where we camped in a friend's very large back garden, I brought along a telly and Raspberry Pi, getting everyone to take part in Pac Man (yeah, get them with hooked something familiar) at least once and making a physical high score table out of it. My friend's 12-year-old daughter almost got the highest score. She later heavily kicked my arse at the N64 version of Mario Kart, beating everyone else. (She's very familiar with the Nintendo Switch Mario Kart, but never heard of an N64 of course).

I'm still doing the running, I've revived the Tiswas website a little bit, and I always did mean to return here once things got near normal! The promised Double Dragon video for Reheated Pixels will be assembled shortly, everything's been filmed, it's just finding the time to edit it all together.

As you might have seen elsewhere on this forum, the idea of streaming ZX Spectrum games on Twitch very much appeals to me, having done some non-gaming work on that platform. I've got stuff on order from Amazon, like a decent desk microphone, and so I think I'll kick it off later this month.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

You've been very busy then, good stuff, glad you are still about and i've noticed polls started appearing again :) Lovely.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Wow, how lucky are we! I've let them know our bank details, so the funds should be arriving soon. :lol:

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Email him back that ok, you'll agree but as long as he registers in the forum to join the hi score challenge.
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Thats great, everyone here could get a few grand each and there'd still be a ton to run the servers :) When can i expect my transfer? My Sort code is 18-20-14, account number is 4277301066. If you need a chicken sacrificing just ask. Cheers.
ZxSpence
Dizzy

Post by ZxSpence »

If you can smell the membrane of a 35 year old 48k spectrum you don't have the CoViD.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Well I thought this thread had done it's job, but with lockdown coming to many European countries including England (depending on a vote on Wednesday), just a reminder that this thread is lfor you if you need a ittle support. Normal retro only rules don't apply with this thread.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Ok, time for a personal confession. I had Covid-19 myself.

That's bad news. The good news are I was declared "cured" about two weeks ago.

My advice is - please don't neglect it.
Somewhere in the heaven there is a random number generator ;) If you get a low number, you
won't even know that you had Covid. If you get a high number you'll get to hospital or worse.
And you never know what you will get.

For me it was something in the middle. It started with cough and temperature getting up and up.
At 39 Celsius degrees I started to wonder if I already should call the ambulance or not. If not now then when?
At 40 degrees, 41 degrees?

Fortunately for me it was the peak and then it started getting lower and generally better. I was totally 20 days off work.
Now I go to work but I'm getting tired much more quickly and who knows what other long
lasting effects will be.

Nobody knows if we have the vaccine soon or not. Maybe it will be like HIV virus where they didn't find vaccine for 40 years.
And everybody will eventually gets Covid sooner or later.

But even then the goal is too slow it down. So everybody won't get infected at the same time and hospitals lack beds and respirators.

Good luck fellows to you in these hard days :)
+3code

Post by +3code »

We have here a curfew : (
Turrican
Microbot

Post by Turrican »

I'm with covid-19 now.
Only headache and cough.
It's been 10 days since.

;)
+3code

Post by +3code »

Turrican wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:18 pm I'm with covid-19 now.
Only headache and cough.
It's been 10 days since.

;)
Then luck and good recovery :)
+3code

Post by +3code »

Headache=too much beeper volume
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Much as I am not spreading all my various "quirks and features" any further than they need to be, and while I'll keep most of the details of my existence as a deliberate enigma, I may as well say this: if I do catch the Wuhan Flu, I will not be asking for medical assistance, and I may not even attempt to fight it off. The same goes for anything else that might happen to me until this existential horror is confined to the dustbin of history. After all, for all I might be whiling away my time throwing a few contributions the way of this forum and ZXDB, out there in the real world I offer nothing, can never offer anything, and it is of no significance beyond my immediate family if I cease to be - and there's not all that many of them to care, anyway.

If I live, so be it. If I die, so be it.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!