Specchums and the coronavirus.

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Specchums and the coronavirus.

Post by PeterJ »

If people had followed the guidance over the weekend, I don't think we would be under these additional measures.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.getsur ... 962673.amp
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Honestly I don't get the irony (comrade etc.). We have been living like that for two weeks by now, yet every day thousands of careless (to put it mildly) persons get fined because they fail to comply with such rules, potentially putting everyone's health, and in some cases life, at jeopardy.

As a citizen of the country with the highest death toll due to Covid-19 to this day, I cannot but say: it's about time, Mr Johnson!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Agreed [mention]Alessandro[/mention] , it should have been done earlier.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:51 pm If people had followed the guidance over the weekend, I don't think we would be under these additional measures.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.getsur ... 962673.amp
Exactly, he didn't want to impose these measures but people put their own selfish desires above everyone's welfare.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

I am happy if the moderators wish to delete my earlier post above.

It was intended only as a tongue-in-cheek and light hearted post and is not intended to be upsetting to anyone, posted only for amusement. Not intended to cause upset.

If I have upset anyone, I apologise and am sorry :oops:

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thank you Mark for your apology. Post soft deleted.
+3code

Post by +3code »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:04 pm Agreed @Alessandro , it should have been done earlier.
And you can go out an hour a day, I went out today to buy, 15 minutes or so, after 5 days locked up :lol:
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

+3code wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:51 pm
PeterJ wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:04 pm Agreed @Alessandro , it should have been done earlier.
And you can go out an hour a day, I went out today to buy, 15 minutes or so, after 5 days locked up :lol:
I've been locked in my house since last Wednesday, except for bringing out the garbage twice, and that means staying in the outside for a couple of minutes at best.

Tomorrow I am going to a supermarket nearby to do the shopping for me and my parents. I count to be there at around 7.00 am, at opening time, in order to avoid staying in the queue for too long. It would be especially unpleasant these days, due to an unusual cold wave with frequent rains, a kind of weather we usually experience between half December and late February. It's strange to see clear skies and sun in Rome and Milan on TV while in Sicily we have overcast skies and cold, damp air. According to forecasts, it's going to get worse, with strong rains and snow on the mountains. I just hope this will make more people stay at home. Especially the less careful.
+3code

Post by +3code »

Alessandro wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:22 pm
+3code wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:51 pm And you can go out an hour a day, I went out today to buy, 15 minutes or so, after 5 days locked up :lol:
I count to be there at around 7.00 am, at opening time, in order to avoid staying in the queue for too long.
I thought the same thing last week, but I came across an infinite queue, I found that it's best to go around 13:30, when people are eating, fewer queue.
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

+3code wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:40 pm
Alessandro wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:22 pm I count to be there at around 7.00 am, at opening time, in order to avoid staying in the queue for too long.
I thought the same thing last week, but I came across an infinite queue, I found that it's best to go around 13:30, when people are eating, fewer queue.
Over here in the UK you'd be lucky to find anything left on the shelves at 13:30 :?
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Spud wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:12 pmOver here in the UK you'd be lucky to find anything left on the shelves at 13:30 :?
Agreed, that's why I am running the risk of staying in the queue, hopefully for a short time, on a cold, damp dawn (I usually go shopping between 2:00 and 4:30 pm to avoid queues at the checkout and find parking more easily, not all shops have such a facility here). In addition to that, at that time I must hold an online lesson so I cannot move from home.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Over here in the UK you'd be lucky to find anything left on the shelves at 13:30
Here in Poland, so far the shelves are mostly full, except for toilet paper of course ;)

And when i all just started I made a big purchase of canned meat and other long lasting food ;) I felt somehow
silly about it but who knows what brings the future.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I'd swap this complete set of high-quality toilet paper (three layers, soft touch), for a brand new ZX Spectrum Next, preferably with no use. Shipping costs at your expense.

Thanks.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:51 pm I'd swap this complete set of high-quality toilet paper (three layers, soft touch), for a brand new ZX Spectrum Next, preferably with no use. Shipping costs at your expense.
Just imagine if Henrique Olifiers went to a fortune teller in early 2019, and she described a premonition of the above statement :lol:
+3code

Post by +3code »

Spud wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:12 pm Over here in the UK you'd be lucky to find anything left on the shelves at 13:30 :?
That happened here also the first week, currently things have been normalized, except to buy wholemeal bread (sh*t!), I live in a town near Valencia, the third largest city in Spain, it is possible that in other cities things are different, there is even toilet paper! :lol:
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Will it be 2 and a half rolls for a Next with scratches on the back case?
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Hey! For a brand new Spectrum Next I am offering you this unopened set of four fine rolls, 4 sheets, 150 rips! Shipping included.

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Firefox

Post by Firefox »

Last Thursday's trip to Sainsbury's was a bit of a shocker - the place had been almost completely stripped bare. (Most meals of this past week have consisted of a hot dog in an increasingly stale bun and a small fruit pie.)

With that in mind, it was with some trepidation that I got into the car to set off for this week's supermarket visit. I pressed the start button and... brownout! Of course, I've not been using my car except for a short hop to the supermarket and back once a week. :(

So now I'm browsing through Amazon looking at lithium-ion jump-start pack thingys... :roll:
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

You may now need a new car battery :(

Not heard of battery chargers then...

Now that summer is coming, if your cigarette/cigar lighter socket is always ‘live’, you may want to think about buying a a solar panel trickle charger. Buy one from a reputable company though. The cheap ones are utter rubbish.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Heh - last time my car battery died, it was on the day I was due to take it into the garage to have the battery checked... :roll:

I walked (~1 mile) to a parts shop to pick up another one, but they'd JUST closed 5 minutes ealier. After walking home I suddenly realised that there was a Halfords probably about 50 yards away from the shop I'd been to. :lol:

So I walked back there again, bought one, and walked home again with it. The lasting memory for me on that day is that car batteries are flippin' heavy... :|
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

The UK Prime Minister and his health secretary now have it too.

Edit. And the chief medical officer.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Morkin wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:42 am So I walked back there again, bought one, and walked home again with it. The lasting memory for me on that day is that car batteries are flippin' heavy... :|
Yes, lead and water are rather heavy when you have to carry them any distance :lol:

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Firefox

Post by Firefox »

1024MAK wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:28 am You may now need a new car battery :(

Not heard of battery chargers then...
Oh, gosh, I hope I don't. There seemed to be plenty of juice for running the Xmas tree that is the dashboard, the fans, central locking, etc etc. Just cranking was extremely lethargic and not good enough to start the engine.

I've ordered a nice lithium-ion jump starter gizmo (which is also a super-bright torch and is able to charge your phone and tablet :)) that apparently holds enough charge for up to 40 jumps. I watched some Youtube video reviews and it looks really good, and people seem to have nothing but good things to say about it. That should be here by Monday.

Once I've (hopefully) got the car started I'll take it for a good razz down the dual carriageway (and maybe a bit of motorway) to charge the battery up. I don't have a garage or shed or anything, so it saves having to pull the battery and carry it into the house and get oily grime over everything and worry if the battery's going to catch light or something (though I doubt it would).
1024MAK wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:28 am Now that summer is coming, if your cigarette/cigar lighter socket is always ‘live’, you may want to think about buying a a solar panel trickle charger. Buy one from a reputable company though. The cheap ones are utter rubbish.
I had not thought of that! I'll have a read up on such things. Ta for the suggestion!

Oh, and I walked to a little Tesco Express (which is now covered in wasp-stripe tape and has barriers across isles!) and got enough food for the week. Not completely the food I wanted, but, First World problems.

Gah! I totally forget to see if they had toilet paper in stock! :D
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Morkin wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:42 am Heh - last time my car battery died, it was on the day I was due to take it into the garage to have the battery checked... :roll:

I walked (~1 mile) to a parts shop to pick up another one, but they'd JUST closed 5 minutes ealier. After walking home I suddenly realised that there was a Halfords probably about 50 yards away from the shop I'd been to. :lol:

So I walked back there again, bought one, and walked home again with it. The lasting memory for me on that day is that car batteries are flippin' heavy... :|
Sounds a good plot for a text adventure! :mrgreen: