PeterJ
Site Admin

Fusion Gaming Magazines

Post by PeterJ »

DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Re: Fusion Gaming Magazines

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Yes, I bought the Fusion 2020 annual, very slick indeed. Also came with a nice Oli Frey inspired (may even be him, but can't see his signature on any of the pictures) 2020 calendar (which given the current situation is chocolate fireguard like). High quality content/printing/binding with no ads apart from a page of self promotion, which is fair enough.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]DouglasReynholm[/mention]

Just purchased the PDF of issue 11 for £1. Nice features on Codemasters and lots on the ZX81.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Chris Wilkin's publications are generally second to none. For those that don't know, he did histories of Ocean and US Gold (amongst many other very readable titles), which I remember he gave away (in pdf form) virtually for pennies last year. I thoroughly recommend all of them. While I'm at it on the book front, I've bought a couple of the Bitmap Book titles recently and the quality of those is beautiful too.

I was thinking about books about retro computing today (reading the Britsoft book through a second time, based on the 'Bedrooms to Billions' film). Could do some brief reviews.. Where to post to on the forum?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

6great idea [mention]DouglasReynholm[/mention]. I would probably post here, or in Other Retro.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:17 pmWhile I'm at it on the book front, I've bought a couple of the Bitmap Book titles recently and the quality of those is beautiful too.
[mention]DouglasReynholm[/mention] Which ones did you get?
ellvis
Drutt

Post by ellvis »

I am actually buying those magazines from the beginning (awaiting issue 11 by post now) and even if I am not really playing games much, I somehow enjoy reading all the articles. The way it's written is really good and overall feeling is great. Chris is doing a nice job here and I can only recommend this to anyone, who is playing modern games or like to read about them (not much of AAA titles, mostly indie scene and some retro).
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

redballoon wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:21 am
DouglasReynholm wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:17 pmWhile I'm at it on the book front, I've bought a couple of the Bitmap Book titles recently and the quality of those is beautiful too.
@DouglasReynholm Which ones did you get?
Metal Slug one and the Unofficial SNES pixel book. Both very good.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:49 pm Metal Slug one and the Unofficial SNES pixel book. Both very good.
I was involved in both of those. Enjoy!
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

4 quid for a printed colour mag seems a rather low price, since I suppose they do not ship big volumes. How is this possible?

...hmm, I ran some quick'n dirty quotes and indeed it seems it's quite feasible, even at low volumes such as 50-100. Nice. If I had some spare time I'd start my own mag too...I love printed stuff...
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

redballoon wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:14 pm
DouglasReynholm wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:49 pm Metal Slug one and the Unofficial SNES pixel book. Both very good.
I was involved in both of those. Enjoy!
Oh, that's interesting, what part did you play? Amazing quality, but their heft makes them a bit difficult for bedtime reading. :D

I do want the Speccy one but current finances a bit shaky so will have to wait.
ellvis
Drutt

Post by ellvis »

akeley wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:48 pm 4 quid for a printed colour mag seems a rather low price, since I suppose they do not ship big volumes. How is this possible?

...hmm, I ran some quick'n dirty quotes and indeed it seems it's quite feasible, even at low volumes such as 50-100. Nice. If I had some spare time I'd start my own mag too...I love printed stuff...
As far as I remember, Chris was mentioning that 1st issue sold a bit over 1000 pieces.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:00 pm Oh, that's interesting, what part did you play? Amazing quality, but their heft makes them a bit difficult for bedtime reading. :D

I do want the Speccy one but current finances a bit shaky so will have to wait.
I did all the new pixel illustrations in the SNES compendium. In fact, I produced all the bespoke pixel illustrations for the Spectrum, NES, SNES and SEGA Master System visual compendiums. No illustrations for the Metal Slug book, though I tidied up all the screenshots, removed the HUD from them all and recreated the mock-ups of the original game by using their existing graphics.
rdhcook
Drutt

Post by rdhcook »

I have bought most of the Fusion magazines and some of Chris's books. All are very well done and a great read. I take a long time to go through the spectrum books - Read a page, play the game, Read a page, play the game, repeat...