New "special" issue of CRASH (with tribute to Jonathan Smith)

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
XTM
Berk

Re: New "special" issue of CRASH (with tribute to Jonathan Smith)

Post by XTM »

Cheers guys!

EDIT: I've added an alternative download source for the PDF file, get it from here:
https://easyupload.io/g4mbbs
This one will expire after 30 days, which is at the end of July.

By the way, the first download site ... I have no idea if it's dodgy or not, I managed to download from there with no problems as I tested it once, and as I'm writing this there have been 79 downloads. You'll need to activate JavaScript to see the download button though, so I can understand why people are wary of it.
Rorthron wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:23 am
Any chance of an alternative download link? The first doesn't work for me; the second has too-low resolution for me to read.
The second link actually has pictures in a quite high resolution. Set your browser to fullscreen and click on the pictures, that will make them appear bigger. On 1920x1080 there should be no problems reading anything, or are you on a 4k monitor?
1 x

Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Thanks. The new download link works fine.

I was using my phone on Imgur, so definitely not a 4K monitor!
0 x

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Looks nice, and the magazine styling seems very authentic. I like how you managed to capture something of the different forum members' personalities (with a bit of artistic license).
0 x

Einar Saukas
Dynamite Dan

Post by Einar Saukas »

It looks so good, that I'm adding it to the official list of magazines in ZXDB! :)
3 x

Morkin
Dynamite Dan

Post by Morkin »

...Well, that was suitably daft... :lol:

Loved all the doctored screenshots, that must have taken ages to do.
1 x

XTM
Berk

Post by XTM »

Hello again!

It saddens me, but I got a lot less feedback on WoS than I got here even though (as I mentioned before) the mag was based mostly on WoS people and forum posts. I guess they're all too busy posting in the Chit Chat section to notice my "present" ...

Okay, my replies but without quotes:

@djnzx48
Thanks, for it to look as authentic as possible was absolutely the plan, that's why I made sure it looked old and "used" like a real 80s issue of Crash, even though it's dated June 2020 ... and I had fun capturing the personalities, of course using a bit of exaggeration and artistic license. Wasn't going to be utterly politically correct either, that's where all the stereotypes (in the letters etc.) came in!

@Einar Saukas
Haha, for real? That would mean it gets preserved and won't disappear into obscurity a few weeks from now - thanks! I hope you liked being a reviewer, reviewing a game made with your own graphics engine ;)

@Morkin
Daft is my 2nd name! 8-)
You're right, the screenshot indeed took ages as I had to come up with ideas for each game - did you count the pixels? :geek:
The Street Fighter ones were easy as I just took some from the 'net and reduced the colour count drastically. At least now I know how to manipulate "raw" Speccy screenshots to make them look like they're being displayed on a dodgy 80s TV set.

Keep the feedback coming, it's appreciated! :)
Last edited by XTM on Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

XTM wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:00 pm
It saddens me, but I got a lot less feedback on WoS than I got here even though (as I mentioned before) the mag was based mostly on WoS people and forum posts.
Welcome to SC forums! ;)
2 x

lister_of_smeg
Dizzy

Post by lister_of_smeg »

Love the 'Steve Davis Snooker 128K' addy :lol:

But remember kids - You need to be 18 to buy it, so don't forget to change your birth year on your profile.
1 x

Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. I've not read all of it (yet) but the bits I have read had me in bits.

Well done, mate. It looks absolutely fantastic.
1 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

This is superb! It looks so authentic; you're a design wizard.

Quite a few of these fake games actually have legs. Especially "Plonker", that would be an ace Everyone's a Wally style production.

Loads of great references. I'd never heard of Bloggo's POW, but a quick google solved that mystery.
1 x