WoS Classic

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: WoS Classic

Post by PeterJ »

I will Tweet them [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention].
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Looks like this is a joke from F.L. :?:
Who knows :)
kolbeck
Manic Miner

Post by kolbeck »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:18 am
Pegaz wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:30 pm WOS Classic has introduced the first Infoseek version, powered by ZXDB!
It's also powered by ZXInfo API... However it's unfair that they currently provide links to all sites except ZXInfo. Someone please ask them to fix this!

Everything else looks good :)
They probaly use link data from the API, and since I've filtered them out (no reason to link to myself :-) - I'll update it when next ZXDB is published.
BTW. I have nothing to do with the WoSC team, except they look like to be a client of the ZXInfo API.

/Thomas
https://api.zxinfo.dk/v3/ - ZXDB API for developers
zxinfo-file-browser - Cross platform app to manage your files
https://zxinfo.dk - another ZXDB frontend
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:18 am it's unfair that they currently provide links to all sites except ZXInfo. Someone please ask them to fix this!
Don’t know if it’s happened overnight, but it does say “Proudly powered by ZXInfo API and ZXDB” at the bottom of each page with links to both.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]Ast A. Moore[/mention]

I took it that [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] was talking about the links on individual game pages.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:01 am I took it that Einar Saukas was talking about the links on individual game pages.
Could be, could be. I just wasn’t paying attention to that when I checked out the website yesterday, so I can’t say for sure whether the attribution has been there the whole time or not.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

kolbeck wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:37 am They probaly use link data from the API, and since I've filtered them out (no reason to link to myself :-) - I'll update it when next ZXDB is published.
So it was not their fault. My apologies!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:59 am Don’t know if it’s happened overnight, but it does say “Proudly powered by ZXInfo API and ZXDB” at the bottom of each page with links to both.
I noticed they added it yesterday, when they switched the entire site to use ZXInfo API and ZXDB instead of static pages.

Because of this, WoS Classic now contains the entire ZXDB catalog, including recent releases. For instance:

https://worldofspectrum.net/infoseekid.cgi?id=0035809

It cannot display SCR images yet, but it shouldn't take them too long to fix it.
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

Looking good.
I'd just prefer that it distanced itself a bit from WOS visually. Some slightly different colours and icons would be great.
As it is, I have trouble seeing it as a new site.

Here's something to generate colour palettes:
https://colors.muz.li/

And for icons:
https://www.flaticon.com/free-icons/site

No need for radical changes, just something slightly different so that we know where we are at all times. :D
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

4thRock wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:21 pmI'd just prefer that it distanced itself a bit from WOS visually. Some slightly different colours and icons would be great.
As it is, I have trouble seeing it as a new site.
But they wrote that recreating Martijn's WoS is exactly their goal!

For users that prefers a compact layout that resembles old WoS, but in a different visual style, there's SC Retro :)
kolbeck
Manic Miner

Post by kolbeck »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:14 pm
kolbeck wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:37 am They probaly use link data from the API, and since I've filtered them out (no reason to link to myself :-) - I'll update it when next ZXDB is published.
So it was not their fault. My apologies!
The link is there now :-)

/T
https://api.zxinfo.dk/v3/ - ZXDB API for developers
zxinfo-file-browser - Cross platform app to manage your files
https://zxinfo.dk - another ZXDB frontend
PQR
Manic Miner

The original 2003 classic

Post by PQR »

Hah. Seeing the WoS Classic homepage is great. The butchered design of post-Martijn WOS just made my heart bleed every time. Immediately it made me search for the files of my original design from 2003. :geek:

It all started with this competition on the WoS forum. The design had to be tailored to a minimum resolution of 1024x768 pixels, a maximum of 216 web-safe colours, and a maximum load of around 100 KB. It was not easy to convince everyone in the beginning. (And if I had known the design would have lasted *this* long... Oof.)

It took a while but finally I was able to retrieve the original html from a backup. So for anyone who wants to compare WoS Classic to the original July 2003 design, now you can...

(Spoiler alert: WoS Classic is indeed very very close to the original including the random Speccy model and animating Sabreman. Although I feel the "Classic" typography is a bit out of place.)

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:18 am It's also powered by ZXInfo API... However it's unfair that they currently provide links to all sites except ZXInfo. Someone please ask them to fix this!
Hi EInar. Links to ZXInfo are now included for each title.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

They are developing really nice.

I notice that they have little problem with the authors:

For example:
https://worldofspectrum.net/infoseekid.php?id=0030076

Author(s) Oleg Origin (Russia)
Oleg Origin (Russia)
Oleg Origin (Russia)
Oleg Origin (Russia)
Oleg Origin (Russia)
Stella Aragonskaya ()

I guess if the same man did code, graphics and music there are 3 entries in the data but he should be displayed just once.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Ralf wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:20 pm They are developing really nice.

I notice that they have little problem with the authors:

For example:
https://worldofspectrum.net/infoseekid.php?id=0030076

Author(s) Oleg Origin (Russia)
Oleg Origin (Russia)
Oleg Origin (Russia)
Oleg Origin (Russia)
Oleg Origin (Russia)
Stella Aragonskaya ()

I guess if the same man did code, graphics and music there are 3 entries in the data but he should be displayed just once.
They made a mistake when combining ZXDB tables "authors" and "roles". In this case, they should have used only "authors" to list author names.

It's related to Lee's mistake I mentioned a month ago that's not fixed yet.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Einar Saukas wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:03 pm It's related to Lee's mistake I mentioned a month ago that's not fixed yet.
You shouldn't have mentioned that, I'm getting paranoid. ;)
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: The original 2003 classic

Post by Morkin »

PQR wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:44 pmImmediately it made me search for the files of my original design from 2003. :geek:

It all started with this competition on the WoS forum.
Haha, ace thread..! Loved this comment:
mheide wrote: Also, the logs show that at least 40% of the users still have a dial-up connection, so bandwidth will remain an issue for a while longer.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Morkin wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:24 pm Haha, ace thread..! Loved this comment:
mheide wrote: Also, the logs show that at least 40% of the users still have a dial-up connection, so bandwidth will remain an issue for a while longer.
Joking aside, the old WoS and WoS Classic load virtually instantaneously, compared to the new WoS or even SC (which is much, much snappier).

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:00 pm Joking aside, the old WoS and WoS Classic load virtually instantaneously, compared to the new WoS or even SC (which is much, much snappier).
Yes, I genuinely don't understand that because the server specifications that Lee was saying he had and the cost when he wanted donations were about 10 times what we have. It's a mystery.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Einar Saukas wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:12 pm Do you mean this?

https://worldofspectrum.org/donate
Yes, they apparently have 32GB RAM, we have 2GB, so it shouldn't be running slow.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:00 pmJoking aside, the old WoS and WoS Classic load virtually instantaneously, compared to the new WoS or even SC (which is much, much snappier).
Since I'm already messing around with SC to implement the "alternate" view, I spent some time last night optimizing the entire site. I hope you will find it fast enough now :)
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:51 am I hope you will find it fast enough now.
It’s pretty damn fast, yeah!