Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
PeterJ
Site Admin

WoS Classic

Post by PeterJ »

Anyone know anything about this?

https://worldofspectrum.net/

I have Tweeted them about this comment in the FAQ :D

A reasonble alternative in Spectrum Computing has existed for a few years but hasn't really lived up to its early promise.

Edit. Just had a friendly chat via Twitter with one of the maintainers and they have apologised and revised their comments. All is good!
Turrican
Microbot

Re: WoS Classic

Post by Turrican »

Wow.

Is WoS Classic affiliated with WoS?
Not at all. WoSC is completely independent from WoS and has received no blessing or authorisation. However, where WoS is closed (in more ways than one), the WosC team aim to be open, embracing and responsive to the community and the changing internet.

That sounds good!
Rebels! :lol:
+3code

Post by +3code »

World Of Spectrum, copyright
© 1995-2014 Martijn van der Heide
© 2014-2019 Lee Fogarty,
© 2020 World Of Spectrum Classic

Wtf? :lol:
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I'm not hugely into social media, but it's amazing what you find on Twitter!
moroz1999
Manic Miner

Post by moroz1999 »

I kinda like that this genie is finally out of the bottle.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

OMG WTFISTS? 1!!11

The plot thickens haha. The situation is now quite ridiculous, WoS has been gremlin'ed :) And yet I kinda like it, saying this as a fan of the original design.

So many questions...do they also use ZXDB? Penny for LFs thoughts atm? :P

[mention]PeterJ[/mention] do you meant they posted this somewhere onsite: "A reasonble alternative in Spectrum Computing has existed for a few years but hasn't really lived up to its early promise."? Bit of a low-blow, if. I couldn't find it in a faq there though.

EDIT: ah, ok, just saw your edit. Nice to see they are a reasonable bunch.
Last edited by akeley on Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

+3code wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:30 pm World Of Spectrum, copyright
© 1995-2014 Martijn van der Heide
© 2014-2019 Lee Fogarty,
© 2020 World Of Spectrum Classic

Wtf? :lol:
Absolutely brilliant! :lol:
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

I like the idea, can't wait for the classic Infoseek!
It may also be possible to insert an old wos forum archive, too.
At the moment, all sorts of possibilities come to my mind, but I have to calm down. ;)
btw, who owns www.worldofspectrum.com :)
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

PeterJ wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:18 pm A reasonble alternative in Spectrum Computing has existed for a few years but hasn't really lived up to its early promise.
Edit. Just had a friendly chat via Twitter with one of the maintainers and they have apologised and revised their comments. All is good!
Ummm... What exactly did you say?

I'm guessing something like "Can you give it the David Darling treatment..?" :lol:
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]Morkin[/mention],

This is what I sent:
Congratulations on the new site. Could I just ask what this phrase means? A reasonble alternative in Spectrum Computing has existed for a few years but hasn't really lived up to its early promise. Cheers. Peter
Turrican
Microbot

Post by Turrican »

We hope to have greater integration with ZXDB, and hopefully start a two-way partnership.

From WoSC. :mrgreen:
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Is it possible in the archive to contain loading screen images, too ?
Currently only ingame screenshoots are active.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

That's becoming totally crazy :lol:
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Hmm, interesting. I wonder how they did it. Apparently the site doesn't have a database, so my guess is that it uses static pages from somewhere like archive.org.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Just imagine Martijn away from the scene for some years but at certain moment he decides to come back: "Well, I fancy go back and see how are things in the Spectrum scene". :mrgreen:
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

I thought this was going to be about one of those mini consoles like the Nes Mini or the PlayStation Classic.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am!
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

RWAC wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:20 am I thought this was going to be about one of those mini consoles like the Nes Mini or the PlayStation Classic.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am!
Yeah, 'cos WOS has such a great track record with mini retro consoles doesn't it. :)
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:14 am Just imagine Martijn away from the scene for some years but at certain moment he decides to come back: "Well, I fancy go back and see how are things in the Spectrum scene". :mrgreen:
Honestly, Martjin's conspicuous absence even on the forum is very strange, almost a mystery...
I hope he is well and I would really like him to show up and clarify many doubts.
I understand if he wanted to leave the Spectrum scene, but I can’t believe he no longer cares what happens to the site he created.
The last thing I remember is that he posted a short message on the forum, maybe five years ago and nothing more since then.
Einar mentioned that he had some communication with him, when Martjin helped him with the export of the wos database but I don't know if they are still in contact.
Is he still in Thailand or has he returned to Europe, who knows ...
btw, I don't know if this wos classic relies on the web archive pages, but it's really fast, almost like Martjin's wos from twenty years ago. :)
Stefan
Manic Miner

World of Spectrum Classic

Post by Stefan »

R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: World of Spectrum Classic

Post by R-Tape »

Stefan wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:00 pm https://worldofspectrum.net/ - interesting...
Indeed it is. There's already a thread about this. I'll merge this into it.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Pegaz wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:16 pm
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:14 am Just imagine Martijn away from the scene for some years but at certain moment he decides to come back: "Well, I fancy go back and see how are things in the Spectrum scene". :mrgreen:
Honestly, Martjin's conspicuous absence even on the forum is very strange, almost a mystery...
I hope he is well and I would really like him to show up and clarify many doubts.
I understand if he wanted to leave the Spectrum scene, but I can’t believe he no longer cares what happens to the site he created.
The last thing I remember is that he posted a short message on the forum, maybe five years ago and nothing more since then.
Einar mentioned that he had some communication with him, when Martjin helped him with the export of the wos database but I don't know if they are still in contact.
Is he still in Thailand or has he returned to Europe, who knows ...
btw, I don't know if this wos classic relies on the web archive pages, but it's really fast, almost like Martjin's wos from twenty years ago. :)
A couple of months ago, before I stopped using Facebook, I was still connected with Martijn. Don't have any correspondence with him but he was regularly putting up posts of his travels around the Far East with his wife. He's doing software/hardware security and regularly posted about security conferences he was attending or giving speeches to. Sounded like he was very happy but I assume with the Speccy scene he just got burnt out and has no desire to come back.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

WOS Classic has introduced the first Infoseek version, powered by ZXDB!
https://worldofspectrum.net/infoseekid.php?id=0001235

Its still in beta, lacks advanced search and loading screens, but a very good job has already been done.
Congratulations to everyone involved in this project. :)
+3code

Post by +3code »

"Full launch 30th July 2020"

Wow...

Tic-tac-tic-tac... :?:
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Gosh, I really love that original WoS design.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Pegaz wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:30 pm WOS Classic has introduced the first Infoseek version, powered by ZXDB!
It's also powered by ZXInfo API... However it's unfair that they currently provide links to all sites except ZXInfo. Someone please ask them to fix this!

Everything else looks good :)