Magpi#67 Spectrum pi build questions

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
gZes Deuce
Drutt

Magpi#67 Spectrum pi build questions

Post by gZes Deuce »

Hello everybody!

I'm new here so please forgive me if I haven't made this thread in the correct section.

Like most people during lockdown, I've needed something to occupy my time and I've decided to build one of these pi's in a spectrum case as detailed in issue 67 of mag-pi. Never owned a spectrum as I was born at the end of its life but this might be a way to semi experience it and learn some basic electronics and coding along the way.

I have everything I need, got a spectrum+ 48k case with new membrane, membrane connectors, pi zero WH, the diodes, stripboard and wires.

The questions I have about this build:
There's a part the guide that says "When soldering the stripboards, make sure you cut the tracks between the resistor and the diode". I take it that there are no resistors in this build but when it mentions breaks, does it mean to make breaks in between the leg of the diodes? e.g. wires from GPIO, diode in, break in the stripboard, diode out to membrane connector?

The zxscanner script that allow the pi to recognise spectrum keyboard inputs. They say in the guide that it was made to work with retro pie but could this work with raspberry pi os?

I've looked at ZXBaremulator for an authentic experience. I understand the pi zero cannot produce sound but I'm happy to give it a go. I'm not sure how to install ZXBaremulator to an sd card and I'm also unsure how the keyboard works with it. is it literally plug and play or do you need to run a script ala zxscanner?

I'm sure I have more questions but I cannot think of them currently.

Anyone who's done this build can run through this with me would be excellent!

Cheers.
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Re: Magpi#67 Spectrum pi build questions

Post by MonkZy »

Welcome to the Forum!

I have made this interface for use with ZX Baremulator. With ZXB it is awesome. I cannot rate it high enough. Low lag and a very authentic experience, exactly like using an original ZX Spectrum. The interface works with ZX Spectrums up to the Grey +2.
gZes Deuce wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:46 pm There's a part the guide that says "When soldering the stripboards, make sure you cut the tracks between the resistor and the diode". I take it that there are no resistors in this build but when it mentions breaks, does it mean to make breaks in between the leg of the diodes? e.g. wires from GPIO, diode in, break in the stripboard, diode out to membrane connector?
Yes. Use a 5mm drill bit to remove the track from between the legs of the diodes.
gZes Deuce wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:46 pm They say in the guide that it was made to work with retro pie but could this work with raspberry pi os?
The scanner can be used with Raspbian (Pi OS) but it is rather clunky and you will not get many of the characters you will need for some operations. It will allow you type simple plain text. I tried using it in the terminal but gave up and went back to a USB keyboard. The code is open source so you may be able to tweak it to get what you need.
gZes Deuce wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:46 pm I understand the pi zero cannot produce sound but I'm happy to give it a go.
ZX Baremulator will not produce sound on the Zero due to hardware limitations. There is a mini Pi, the A+, that I have tested and works well with ZXB that would fit the 48kb case really well. There is one going on eBay right now :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry-Pi ... Sw6~pfOXs2

The 'Buy it now' prices can be a bit unreasonable, but on bids they go for sensible prices most times. There are two versions, 2 and 3, both have the power to run ZXB but the 2 does not have WiFi. Version 3 is identified by the shiny metal case around the SoC.
gZes Deuce wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:46 pm I'm not sure how to install ZXBaremulator to an sd card and I'm also unsure how the keyboard works with it. is it literally plug and play or do you need to run a script ala zxscanner?
Installing ZXB is simple. You just copy the files from the 'All files needed..' archive (allfiles.zip) on the ZXB website onto a FAT formatted SD Card. Make a folder on the SD card called 'games' (or anything you like) and copy your .tzx/.tap files there. The button on the GPIO interface switches the keyboard to extended mode so you can select a machine type or enter the file menu (or use multiface!!). It is all pretty simple and very plug and play! ZXB works with the GPIO interface straight out of the box.

Build this interface, use it with ZX Baremulator!! You will love it.
gZes Deuce
Drutt

Post by gZes Deuce »

That's amazing!

Thank you very much MonkZy. Very thorough and informative answer.

I've first got to practice my soldering first before I attempt this but as soon as I have completed this I will post some pictures of the finished if you like?

Thanks again, You've really helped calm my nerves with this project!
gZes Deuce
Drutt

Post by gZes Deuce »

As I said in my last post, I would show my ZX-Pi or whatever you wanna call it and after practising my soldering for a few days I finally completed my finished project.

Few things had changed from my last post, most notably using a 16/48k case instead of the plus I was originally going to. I still have the plus case but was thinking about grabbing a clone board as the plus case is in such good condition and I'd feel weird making a mess with glue on the inside. I didn't install a button on the 48k when I found out there's a keyboard command to get alternate key mode.

I also bought a micro sd extension cable so If I wanted to change the os and try raspian I can without making cutting any holes to get access to the sd slot. I originally bought a Pi-zero to install but after hearing about the lack of sound I instead bought 2 Pi 3A+'s which forces me to bend the gpio pins but they appear to be sturdy enough to still work.

I've got it hooked up to a 14" trinitron via composite. Fortunately I had a aux to rca handy and discovered that the pin out on the Pi's socket meant I had red for video and yellow and white for audio. Very weird. I had to learn what "marking" and "unmarking" was in the config file to get a proper aspect ratio on a crt. Plugging into hdmi works fine as well but the image is stretched. I'm sure I'll figure how to figure out how to fix that i the future.

Very happy with the finished product. Had just as much fun assembling it as I've had playing it. If I could of done anything different I would have trimmed the cables connecting the pi to the 8 pin keyboard connector as it is a touch congested in that area.

Thank you again to Monkzy for the very reassuring words of this projects simplicity. Now I'll return to Manic Miner and see if I can finally get passed Eugene's Lair.