TZX format specification

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

TZX format specification

Post by SkoolKid »

Is there an official home for the TZX format specification these days?

The traditional WoS link gives a 404. The only other link I've found so far is this one, but I don't know who runs that site.

Are there any others?
SkoolKit - disassemble a game today
Pyskool - a remake of Skool Daze and Back to Skool
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: TZX format specification

Post by Ralf »

You can watch the old documement through Web Archive, for example:

https://web.archive.org/web/20191028200 ... ormat.html

And as far as I remember the format wasn't updated for years. At some moment people wanted different
directions of development and got into a stalemate. Nothing got changed since then.
MrClump
Microbot

Post by MrClump »

Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

SkoolKid wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:31 pm The only other link I've found so far is this one, but I don't know who runs that site.
That would be Günter Woigk, the author of zasm and zxsp. A brilliant guy. The TZX spec page is a copy of the one Ralf linked to (oh, and MrClump, too). I’ve never seen another version, so I’ve always taken it as gospel.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
lister_of_smeg
Microbot

Post by lister_of_smeg »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:20 pm
SkoolKid wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:31 pm The only other link I've found so far is this one, but I don't know who runs that site.
That would be Günter Woigk, the author of zasm and zxsp. A brilliant guy. The TZX spec page is a copy of the one Ralf linked to (oh, and MrClump, too). I’ve never seen another version, so I’ve always taken it as gospel.
There's also an older version of the specifications on Ramsoft's site (back from before they depreciated stuff like the C64 and snapshot blocks and added CSW and generalized blocks).
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Post by SkoolKid »

Thanks for the replies!

I was considering just sticking a copy of the TZX spec on skoolkit.ca (because shady git though the owner of that site may be, at least I know him), but now I think I'll just go with WoS.net. I didn't know that existed until just now... :oops:
SkoolKit - disassemble a game today
Pyskool - a remake of Skool Daze and Back to Skool