World of Spectrum....

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
5MinuteRetro
Dizzy

World of Spectrum....

Post by 5MinuteRetro » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:21 pm

I guess I could ask this at the WoS forums but, frankly, I no longer trust them as a source of unbiased information. So... whatever happened to WoS?

I remember 15-20 years ago when I first stumbled upon it, when it was run by Martijn: it was *the* place to go for all things Spectrum. As a lurker there
I am of course aware of *some* of what's happened -- particularly recently, with the ZX Vega+ debacle -- but how did this once-great resource become what appears to be one person's fiefdom? Is it a personality cult (sic)?

Or shall we just not do this here?

Both serious questions, btw.

Scott.
0 x
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro

R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: World of Spectrum....

Post by R-Tape » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:42 pm

5MinuteRetro wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:21 pm
I'd really rather we didn't.

We don't want SC to turn into a place to slag off WoS or the Vega.

The forum guidelines, and the whole drive of Spectrum Computing is to set a positive tone. I'm here because we have a site that is hosting new software, not enough of it yet, but we're working on it. The scope of the archive could extend beyond that.

This is new for me, I'm not going to lock the thread but will keep an eye on it and see if it gets nasty.

We should put our energies into what we do best, directing our misplaced inferiority complex at the commodore 64 :mrgreen:
8 x

5MinuteRetro
Dizzy

Post by 5MinuteRetro » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:43 pm

Yep, I think that's fair and, to be honest, I regretted posting this almost as soon as I clicked Submit. So, consider it closed and me out. Someone feel free to delete. Sorry all.
0 x
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro

Ivanzx
Site Admin

Post by Ivanzx » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:29 am

Hi 5minuteRetro and all!

Nah, I dont think we need to close threads here, I think this should be a place where we can speak like adults and not going crazy with childlish reactions.

I also think that we should focus on positive things (karma always comes back! :P) so I personally will try to forget about WoS issues and try to be productive and have fun over here too ;)
4 x

Rorthron
Site Admin

Post by Rorthron » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:36 am

R-Tape wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:42 pm
5MinuteRetro wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:21 pm
I'd really rather we didn't.

We don't want SC to turn into a place to slag off WoS or the Vega.

The forum guidelines, and the whole drive of Spectrum Computing is to set a positive tone.
Ivanzx wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:29 am
I dont think we need to close threads here, I think this should be a place where we can speak like adults and not going crazy with childlish reactions.
I completely agree with both these comments.
1 x

ramsrc
Berk

Post by ramsrc » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:35 am

I actually think it is a tremendous shame - I know none of the people involved with WOS personally, nor do I understand the ins and outs of what has been happening over there but I have been visiting on and off for years. It is one of those websites that has (for me) almost always been around (right back to the around the time when I first started using the Internet in the early 90s)

I think WOS started in around 1995, and at that time I used to access it from a VAX 11 Mainframe :)
1 x
A hollow voice says "Plugh"

EdwardCatflap
Berk

Post by EdwardCatflap » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:12 pm

I used to find it (sad I know) fascinating to look at the emails to and from authors of old games giving their permission for games to be on there.

If I recall, one of the Odin guys got a bit tetchy about the rights to their games an completely overreacted.

None of the links work anymore :roll:
2 x

ZXDunny
Berk

Post by ZXDunny » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:15 pm

I've jumped ship for this place, ever since the phrase "zxdb" was blocked on WoS. It's a shame, but I don't see the site surviving much longer now - but we really, really need a backup of all the files in the database. Quite a few of my scanned books are up there.
2 x

AndyC
Berk

Post by AndyC » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:42 pm

I suspect now is not the time to have that conversation, everything is still a bit raw, but I'd much rather a forum that allowed discussions about the wider scene (warts and all) than one which arbitrarily shuts down conversation without justification.
3 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:56 pm

ZXDunny wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:15 pm
I've jumped ship for this place, ever since the phrase "zxdb" was blocked on WoS. It's a shame, but I don't see the site surviving much longer now - but we really, really need a backup of all the files in the database. Quite a few of my scanned books are up there.
Hello Paul,

Nice to have you on board sir.

There is a full mirror of WoS on archive.org. it's 89GB though. I have a secure copy for my own personal use...

https://archive.org/details/World_of_Sp ... 017_Mirror
1 x