World of Spectrum....

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: World of Spectrum....

Post by PeterJ » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:56 am

grahamken wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:05 pm
Hmmm...that would be an ecumenical matter!
I love that Father Ted episode!
2 x

Mike Davies
Microbot

Post by Mike Davies » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:00 am

fogartylee wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:11 pm
As for the forums - the search works as well as it can with 1m comments and the size of the database makes it very difficult to host anywhere but a dedicated service. It uses Sphinx as the search service which is about as good as it gets. Without Sphinx it takes 30-60 seconds to do a full search of the forums - with it, it takes less than a second.
The WoS forum posts amount to just over 1.1Gb uncompressed (distributed over 54,471 threads). That's well within the feature-set of a VPS.

Also, Google has a successful track record of making things findable and searchable. So allowing Google to crawl and index the forums is the first step towards making the forum searchable without needing a self-hosted search service (VPS or dedicated).
2 x

EdwardCatflap
Berk

Post by EdwardCatflap » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:35 am

Let’s tackle the elephant in the room..

Lee, I think it’s best for WOS and the Spectrum Community on a whole is if you give up WOS (or close it) and just leave the ‘scene’.

You have no credibility left, your part in the ZX Vega debacle and dubious attempts to get out of it and your ‘if you disagree with something I say I will ban you’ sulks has left your reputation in tatters. WOS is a mess since you took over. Broken links everywhere and the forums are dead.

Not forgetting your deliberate trolling of Zx Vega backers by taking a dog eared and beaten up Zx Vega to Spectrum 35.

Do the decent thing, just give it (WOS) up to someone who cares deeply for the Community or close it and let this site take over and get the scene back to what it was, nice friendly community chat about the ZX Spectrum and all things Sinclair related.
6 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:41 am

What do you really expect to achieve with that post? You've probably already said this to him/about him all over social media. If you think Lee should be held to account then do it over at WoS.

Any more attacks and you make SC look bad. Please stop it.
2 x

Sokurah
Dizzy

Post by Sokurah » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:47 am

EdwardCatflap wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:35 am

Lee, I think it’s best for WOS and the Spectrum Community on a whole is if you give up WOS (or close it) and just leave the ‘scene’.

You have no credibility left, your part in the ZX Vega debacle and dubious attempts to get out of it and your ‘if you disagree with something I say I will ban you’ sulks has left your reputation in tatters. WOS is a mess since you took over. Broken links everywhere and the forums are dead.
A lot of people aren't happy with the way WoS is being handled, but to call the forums dead is a bit of an exaggeration.
The search engine certainly is broken, but on the whole the forum does work. And that is something he has fixed.

To ask for him to close WoS is making yourself look like a moron though. By all means - nuke the Chit Chat section - that's worthless anyway ... but there's a lot of useful information on that forum, that it would be a damn shame to not have access to anymore.
2 x
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah

Ralf
Manic Miner

Post by Ralf » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:13 pm

By all means - nuke the Chit Chat section - that's worthless anyway ...
If you close Chit-Chat, traffic on WOS will drop by about 80% :lol:

That's some bigger problem that many WOS users simply don't care about updates, about preservation of software, about working database and generally about Zx Spectrum. They just want to babble in Chit-Chat about their food, listened music, celebrity deaths, some jokes from Internet and so on.

These guys actually never complain on Lee as they have all they need.

One of problems for WOS is bad management but the other one would be these apathetic users who no longer show enthusiasm for Spectrum news.

I really hope that Chit-Chat section here won't be the most active section ;) And that this place will be different, maybe smaller but with more valuable content.
2 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:17 pm

Ralf wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:13 pm
I really hope that Chit-Chat section here won't be the most active section ;) And that this place will be different, maybe smaller but with more valuable content.
That's my hope for the place too, and if in a few weeks our most active thread is still the World of Spectrum then we have a problem.
2 x

Ast A. Moore
Manic Miner

Post by Ast A. Moore » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:22 pm

PeterJ wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:56 am
grahamken wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:05 pm
Hmmm...that would be an ecumenical matter!
I love that Father Ted episode!
2 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

Rorthron
Manic Miner

Post by Rorthron » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:25 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:17 pm
If in a few weeks our most active thread is still the World of Spectrum then we have a problem.
I'm not worried about that. This thread had been dead for a while before it got dredged up.

The vast majority of the posts here are interesting and Spectrum-related.
1 x

balford
Berk

Post by balford » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:38 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:34 am
Just in case things are hotting up. While I'm flabbergasted by some of his posts can we be sure we don't resort to insults. Don't give anyone a reason to hit the report post button.
I’d like to apologise for the tone of my earlier posts. You are completely right and there is indeed no need to stoop to that level.
5 x
Fixing ZX Spectrums in the 21st Century
https://github.com/brendanalford/zx-diagnostics