World of Spectrum....

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
fogartylee
Berk

Re: World of Spectrum....

Post by fogartylee » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:41 pm

You do know the URL you posted is wrong?

I *think* I've fixed the leeching bug. I'm sure someone will let me know if I haven't....

The access to WoS data is far more & a lot easier than it was before. If anything, the walls are being knocked down.
0 x

RMartins
Microbot

Post by RMartins » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:45 pm

After my ban from WOS was included in this thread, I feel obliged to share the facts I know.
I did not want to get back to this subject, but I treasure transparency.

1 - My ban from WOS was due to a comment I made in the IndieGogo - ZX Spectrum Vega+
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- ... #/comments

If you go throught a lot of clicking on "show more" link, you will eventually get there ("Rui Martins" is my username in indieGogo), since there is no search feature unfortunately.
SpoilerShow
I stand by what I wrote, as a "wake up call"/warning, since I have known of worse happening for a lot less.
Today, I would write it in a different wording, since I have since realized it can be read in a different tone/context.

2 - I was banned on WOS because I had a similar username, on both websites.
There was no evidence that IndieGogo "Rui Martins", was in fact WOS "RMartins", since IndieGogo supposedly does not share the emails of it's users.

3 - I did not receive any feeback or warning that I was banned.
I got to know about it by a friend (I was busy with health issues in my family, so ZX surfing was low priority).

4 - I also seem to be the first user in WOS that had it's Avatar changed to an image with "User banned - Carry on".
Why ?
Your guess is as good as mine.

So, with the information provided above, take your own conclusions.
9 x

5MinuteRetro
Microbot

Post by 5MinuteRetro » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:17 am

fogartylee wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:26 pm
Just for clarity...
I'm all for that. I think all of us here are, which is why we're here. So, just for clarity, why *exactly* - and with clarity - were mentions of Spectrum Computing and ZXDB banned from WoS? The reasons expressed at the time on WoS were neither exact nor clear. At least, not so I saw: I abandoned the listing WoS ship at precisely this point. So yeah, I'd love some clarity.
4 x
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro

fogartylee
Berk

Post by fogartylee » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:33 am

The admins at the time had also spent (along with Martijn) some considerable time helping Einar create ZXDB. They had all expressed disappointment with his actions following our help which - as we were told - was to help WoS, whereas it seemed afterwards the intentions were very different.

And as said on WoS - those actions weren't agreed by me, and the end result was that they have all left the role to concentrate on helping WoS with the database info instead.

As an aside, I have since also gone against the admins votes by offering to assist ZXDB further which has been rejected. So sometimes they are right and sometimes they were wrong. It happens - there is a new team of admins now.
0 x

5MinuteRetro
Microbot

Post by 5MinuteRetro » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:58 am

fogartylee wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:33 am
The admins at the time had also spent (along with Martijn) some considerable time helping Einar create ZXDB. They had all expressed disappointment with his actions following our help which - as we were told - was to help WoS, whereas it seemed afterwards the intentions were very different.

And as said on WoS - those actions weren't agreed by me, and the end result was that they have all left the role to concentrate on helping WoS with the database info instead.

As an aside, I have since also gone against the admins votes by offering to assist ZXDB further which has been rejected. So sometimes they are right and sometimes they were wrong. It happens - there is a new team of admins now.
Was that a reply to my above comment? If so, still seeking exactness and clarity. If not, still waiting.
3 x
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro

ADJB
Berk

Post by ADJB » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:09 am

fogartylee wrote:
The admins at the time had also spent (along with Martijn) some considerable time helping Einar create ZXDB.
When was "the time" that time was spent by the admins and Martijn helping Einar?
1 x

fogartylee
Berk

Post by fogartylee » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:28 am

ADJB wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:09 am
fogartylee wrote:
The admins at the time had also spent (along with Martijn) some considerable time helping Einar create ZXDB.
When was "the time" that time was spent by the admins and Martijn helping Einar?
There's been a FB group chat around for a year. It was started when the core admin scripts were completed and we were ready to start working on individual sections. Einar joined around February or March - at which point we had already started uploading tables & CSV files of the output to be checked.
0 x

Rorthron
Site Admin

Post by Rorthron » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:23 am

fogartylee wrote:
I am somewhat bemused by this account.

In case you have forgotten, Lee, the reason why Einar started the ZXDB project was because you quit WoS ("Had enough", July 2016). In that thread you explicitly stated that you wanted someone else to take over and you explicitly offered to help anyone who was willing to do so. All Einar did was to respond to your request and take on responsibilities you had decided to abandon.

When you changed your mind and decided to hang around, Einar continued to offer his help to you, but you repeatedly and often quite rudely spurned his efforts.

Your characterisation of Einar's actions and motives is quite at odds with the facts.

Moreover, I find it interesting that you have confirmed what we suspected all along, that the moves to censor mentions of ZXDB and Spectrum Computing were done out of spite and with no purpose other than to harm another Spectrum website (one which was not even involved in your dispute!).
fogartylee wrote:
And as said on WoS - those actions weren't agreed by me.
Yet you still keep the Spectrum Computing update thread on WoS locked.
fogartylee wrote:
Just what are you trying to say here? Are you now suggesting you think it was right, after all, to censor and block mentions of another Spectrum website? Or are you conceding the WoS admin team was wrong? And what does SC's decision not to accept your offer have to do with it?
7 x

fogartylee
Berk

Post by fogartylee » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:48 am

Unless you have access to the FB admins group then you have no idea of what discussions happened or didn't happen. I was warned by several people in advance that it would be a mistake to aid Einar but chose to ignore the warnings.
0 x

balford
Berk

Post by balford » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:00 am

Quite interesting that Richard, Gerard and David have been thrown under the bus as far as WoS moderation goes. Funnily enough whilst I don't always agree with them I've found them somewhat more approachable than the admin who purports to be acting in the site's best interests...
1 x
Fixing ZX Spectrums in the 21st Century
https://github.com/brendanalford/zx-diagnostics