Chutney

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Chutney

Post by Jbizzel »

Please explain the chutney thing to me. I have not Idea what it's about at all.

I have been quite about this for many many years, and know I must have an answer! :D :D
Sparky
Manic Miner

Re: Chutney

Post by Sparky »

You mean the Indian food?
Alex
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Jbizzel wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:46 pm Please explain the chutney thing to me. I have not Idea what it's about at all.
Chutney is an acid rich sweet savoury conserve, often served with finest bread and cheese. There is usually a massive surplus of supply vs demand, especially at xmas. [mention]DouglasReynholm[/mention] was ready to kill for the stuff last year before he was pointed in the right direction.

Chuntey is, as defined by the CSS Folklore (we need to get this in ZXDB don't we?):
Chuntey

The Speccy loading "aura". i.e. the mystical field set up when the Speccy was loading that was sensitive to the slightest disturbance e.g. your mum walking into the room. Of course causing a disturbance in the chuntey instantly causes any game currently loading to fail. Coined by La Haine accidentally as a misspelling of "chutney", and defined by Llama-Wax Len.

In the words of the Llama-Waxer himself,
"Spectrums have the one true chuntey, the uber-chuntey if you will.

Other 8-bit machines had similar problems, but paled in comparison to the
Speccy chuntey. Machines such as the CBM64 and the CPC had what scientists
refer to as pseudo-chuntey.

PCs have chuntey-related issues that have descended from these but are not
quite the same - in essence, PCs are affected by neo-chuntey."
Though I'd say Chuntey is different things to different people. I think it's the EM noise that ruins the FM signal for radio 4 whenever my speccy is plugged in.

Hope that helps :mrgreen:
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

[mention]R-Tape[/mention] I enjoyed reading this very much. I clearly remember my bro walking in to the room and causing my loading spectrum to crash. That must have been the chutney.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Jbizzel wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:20 pm That must have been the chutney.
Thread calling [mention]Guesser[/mention], thread calling [mention]Guesser[/mention], thread calling [mention]Guesser[/mention]!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Jbizzel wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:20 pm That must have been the chutney.
Nurse!
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

I'm more confused than ever lol.

I thought it was chutney, but it's actually chuntey which originated as a miss spelling of chutney?!?

My dyslexia is not helping me at all :D :D :D
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Jbizzel wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:28 pm My dyslexia is not helping me at all :D :D :D
I wondered! Apologies.

It's 'chun---tee'. What kind of loony would call it chut---nee :P

Audio download for the challenged. (wanted to use BeepFX but didn't know how to make a .wav)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chuntey

It's famous !
Although personally I never use it ;)

By the way, in Poland we didn't have a word for it but the phenomenon itself existed. Don't move,
don't breathe and strongly wish that your game loads or you'll have the infamous Tape Loading Error message.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

instantly causes any game currently loading to fail. Coined by La Haine accidentally as a misspelling of "chutney", and defined by Llama-Wax Len.
But doesn't.this.mean he was trying to say chutney? And therefore why that word, however its spelt?

I appreciate I might be over thinking this!
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

There's also The Chuntey Tune by Mulder. https://temp.zxnet.co.uk/The%20Chuntey%20Tune.mp3
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Ralf wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:35 pm https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chuntey

It's famous !
Although personally I never use it ;)

By the way, in Poland we didn't have a word for it but the phenomenon itself existed. Don't move,
don't breathe and strongly wish that your game loads or you'll have the infamous Tape Loading Error message.

Yes, I had this too. If a game was loading no one was aloud to enter the room or breathe too heavily.

The tape would stop loading after 5 minutes, and the spectrum would go from the loading screen to an immediate reset simply because your brother had tapped his foot 4 minutes ago!
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Guesser wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:39 pm There's also The Chuntey Tune by Mulder. https://temp.zxnet.co.uk/The%20Chuntey%20Tune.mp3
My girlfriend is about to murder me over this whole thread. Playing this to her has not helped. :D
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Guesser wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:39 pm There's also The Chuntey Tune by Mulder. https://temp.zxnet.co.uk/The%20Chuntey%20Tune.mp3
Redolent of Armand van Helden's Koochy.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

:shock: :o :shock: :o
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Jbizzel wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:38 pm But doesn't.this.mean he was trying to say chutney? And therefore why that word, however its spelt?
A testament to the times before autocorrect.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Looks as if the dictionary bods are still considering it. Not an outright rejection at least.

I suppose everyone's been pondering it for over 30 years, so waiting a few more won't hurt.

I never knew whether the ZX81's RAM pack wobble was related in some way. I suppose we won't know until someone's written a thesis on it.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Jeepers! I had just turned the volume up to listen to Dave’s “chuntey” and forgot to turn it back down before clicking the link. :shock: Oh, my ears and whiskers . . .

AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:26 pm
Jbizzel wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:38 pm But doesn't.this.mean he was trying to say chutney? And therefore why that word, however its spelt?
A testament to the times before autocorrect.
And to the wild and wacky days of CSS, when it was almost possible for a subject to wander off topic before the first post was done.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

I guess you had to be there to fully understand. But though I feel I still have more questions than answers, I do feel I understand somewhat now. After all these years of hearing it and a) thinking it was chutney (which it seems to actually be?!?) And b) hearing it and having no idea what it meant, I can now contend that it's the aura of a loading spectrum, and that is something I have long understood. It should definitely be in the dictionary, to annoy Hayley if nothing else!
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Is now the right time to throw in the word as also meaning the stuff left on the pavement or floor after drinking too much, and which always has carrot like bits even if the person did not eat any...
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Post by Evil Genius »

Commercial cassettes rarely suffered this problem, it was mostly pirated software which was affected. Hence the well-known error message:

Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

Morkin wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:26 pm Looks as if the dictionary bods are still considering it. Not an outright rejection at least.

I suppose everyone's been pondering it for over 30 years, so waiting a few more won't hurt.

I never knew whether the ZX81's RAM pack wobble was related in some way. I suppose we won't know until someone's written a thesis on it.
It's in the one dictionary that matters these days:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chuntey
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Ralf wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:35 pm By the way, in Poland we didn't have a word for it but the phenomenon itself existed. Don't move,
I guess this phenomenon was universal.

In Brazil when I was a kid, me and a friend built a small pyramid out of wooden sticks, that we claimed had "exactly the same proportions of the Pyramid of Cheops" (although we never checked what they were supposed to be). Then we jokingly used to place the tape recorder inside it to protect the loading game field against external interference.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

The Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pyjamas haven't helped tape loading errors. :)