Toni Baker

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
KenD
Berk

Toni Baker

Post by KenD » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:29 pm

I've asked this before, in another time, in another place, but let's see if this more ... refined crowd can answer something that's been puzzling me for years :)

Do we all remember Toni Baker, author of the seminal Mastering Machine Code on your ZX Spectrum, byline on many articles in YS, ZX Computing and all round machine code expert. They disappeared off the face of the earth (hopefully not literally) in the mid-80's, unlike many Speccy authors who would pop up on the Amiga/ST and later the internet.

So: prolific author, great writing style, obviously knew the Sinclair line inside out.

The big question is: bird or bloke? Seriously, I've never seen any photos, or anything in any articles he/she wrote to give away his/her gender. Was this a rare example of the Spectrum Sisterhood, or just a guy who's parents fancied drawing attention to themselves? Or, was it just a pen name (a la Lloyd Mangram) for some staff writers somewhere?
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Toni Baker

Post by PeterJ » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi Ken,

That's a great question!

I believe Toni is a lady.

http://www.verycomputer.com/57_e9bbb22ce8174cef_1.htm

Peter
0 x

Ralf
Microbot

Re: Toni Baker

Post by Ralf » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:39 pm

Very mysterious person from early years of Spectrum. That's all I know for sure ;)

A similar case is William Tang - man who wrote Horace games and later disappeared.
0 x