Need Help - Mail Order Catalogue

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
shallymoo
Drutt

Need Help - Mail Order Catalogue

Post by shallymoo »

Hi all,

I'm starting to dive back into the ZX Spectrum scene (having started back in 1983) after a recent Indiegogo campaign left me with a bad taste.

In the UK back in the 80's, I seem to remember subscribing to a fairly regular ZX Spectrum games catalogue, which was periodically delivered throughout the year; I'd obviously mail order games from this catalogue and I really enjoyed reading their reviews and descriptions of the various games contained within.

From best recollection, I might have even received a number of games at either a heavily reduced fee, or free, when I initially subscribed and ordered. The problem - I cannot for the life of me remember what this catalogue might have been called. I've tried my best to search online, but haven't really got anywhere with it.

Anyone have any ideas of catalogues that this might have been?

Any help or steers will be greatly appreciated.

D
Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Re: Need Help - Mail Order Catalogue

Post by Evil Genius »

Yes, they were called the Home Computer Club

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... l_id=14441

Ran along the same lines as Britannia Music Club.
shallymoo
Drutt

Post by shallymoo »

That's the one, thanks very much!! :)
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Yeah, I persuaded my parents that joining that club would be a great idea. All I remember was that each month I struggled to find a good game to point where one month I ended up picking William Wobbler!!!! Most of the time I’d end up with the Editors Choice which, surprise surprise , was the most expensive. I also seem to remember that they made it really hard for you to cancel your subscription.
shallymoo
Drutt

Post by shallymoo »

I seem to remember getting some fairly good games from it; I also remember that getting rid of the subscription was also a pain - If memory serves, I wrote to them (using a pen - remember that?) and there was a bit of ping-pong between us because they sent me a game without me ordering it after I'd binned them.
Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Post by Evil Genius »

You were doing it wrong.

The correct method was to sign up, receive the introductory items, pirate them then send them back and cancel membership. :twisted:
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Evil Genius wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:15 am You were doing it wrong.

The correct method was to sign up, receive the introductory items, pirate them then send them back and cancel membership. :twisted:
You are indeed an evil genius!