Quick .SCR viewer

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Quick .SCR viewer

Post by R-Tape »

Is there a piece of software (not command prompt) out there that can be used to quickly view a large set of .SCR files in a folder?

I currently use an emulator, but it's slow as you have to keep clicking 'File/Open'. It would be nice to be able to scroll through them just by pressing the right/left cursor key.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Re: Quick .SCR viewer

Post by djnzx48 »

IrfanView seems to be able to view them. If you want to be able to scroll through them you need to go into Settings->Extensions and add SCR| to the end of the list where it says "Load custom file types".

EDIT: You can also go into View->Display Options and disable "Use Resample" if you want nearest neighbour filtering rather than blurry pixels.

EDIT EDIT: I did some more mucking about, and if you find it annoying how .scr files always try to open as screensavers instead of as an image, then open a command prompt as admin and run this:

Code: Select all

ftype zxscreen="C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" "%1"
assoc .scr=zxscreen
It might give you a warning the first time you try to open one but otherwise it seems to work fine.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

g0blinish
Manic Miner

Post by g0blinish »

take a look at:
http://g0blinish.ucoz.ru/index/software ... ve/0-19#ZX

I think file assotiation with ".scr" is a big mess because ext interfere with Windows screensavers.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I think file assotiation with ".scr" is a big mess because ext interfere with Windows screensavers.
That's true. Email servers often block emails with .scr as attachments as they treat them as screensavers and screensavers can be potentially dangerous - contain viruses and so on.

But this confusion doesn't come from Spectrum people. I believe .scr files already existed in early 90s when everybody used Dos and screensavers appeared with Windows 95 only. So that's Microsoft guys who stole .scr extension from us! ;)
lister_of_smeg
Microbot

Post by lister_of_smeg »

Another option is Total Commander with the inSCR plugin.
g0blinish
Manic Miner

Post by g0blinish »

Total Commander is shareware. Older version of Lister support viewer plugins.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Thanks for the suggestions all. I checked them out and SpecSCRView had the best combination of ease of use and doing exactly what I was after.

[mention]g0blinish[/mention] - that link you provided is a goldmine! This is slightly offtopic, but in case it interests you (or any other active devs) I'd like to reiterate how cool it would be to have a utility that generates a SCR of Manic Miner style FLASH text, based on a string inputted by the user. There used to be something online that served this function, called the Minertron, but it no longer exists.

Just to plant the thought :mrgreen:
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:28 am http://www.zx-modules.de
Run ZX-Explorer and click on icon "show thumbnails".
pandronic
Drutt

Post by pandronic »

Here's a simple online SCR viewer: https://www.dj50.ro/
SamC
Microbot

Post by SamC »

Recoil makes, among other things, thumbnails in a system/destop enviroment
http://recoil.sourceforge.net
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

For Mac users, the venerable Graphic Converter supports SCR files and has a nice thumbnail browser.