Sinclair A-Bike

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Sinclair A-Bike

Post by R-Tape »

For over a year I’ve successfully managed to pull my trigger finger away from the ‘buy now’ button on ebay, but last week, admittedly while at the thin end of a bottle, I finally succumbed and bought a Sinclair A-Bike.

I always knew it would be rubbish, but on receipt I’m surprised at just how bad it is. The plan was to use it for short commutes on busy trains that don’t accept bookings. Granted, it’s light and folds down to an impressively small size; I just might not make it the 3 miles to the station in one piece!

The main problems will not come as a surprise:
  • Tiny frame – anyone under 150cm might be okay, but if you’re average height or above you will look ridiculous, have incredibly cramped legs that graze the handlebars and risk overbalancing. A few others had a go and one guy fell flat on his back first try!
  • Tiny wheels – obvious I guess, but you have to be very careful of obstacles. The smallest pothole will have you horizontal, so using it on anything other than paths, pavements and very quiet backroads is just plain lethal.
It’s a shame that its biggest flaws are so fundamental because the folding speed, mechanism and size are actually impressive; there are just too many compromises biased towards it - while forgetting that unfolded, it actually needs to be a serviceable bike for humans! I can’t help but wonder if the designers even tried it out.

I’ll probably try and use it a few times, but it really needs a couple of inches on the wheels and seat. Just to add - I’m not frustrated by it, as I had a rough idea what to expect - and how high the risk was that it would end up in the attic next to the Unicycle.

As is, I just can’t imagine what niche the A-Bike could begin to fill – other than a fun curio for collectors. Yep, Clive's done it again...
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Re: Sinclair A-Bike

Post by MatGubbins »

It's gonna take you ages getting anywhere if you keep going forwards and backwards! Yup, it looks dangerous to ride. The slightest crack in the road and off comes the rider. I wouldn't even cycle on the road markings with that...

Anyway, congratulations for buying one. Don't forget to wear a helmet, hi-viz and bung some lights on it somewhere.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks for the review. Those wheels are indeed very small!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

You could always try to get Uncle Clive to sign it and then flog it on eBay.. :lol:

How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking?
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

Morkin wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:22 pm

How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking?
If he responds with anything besides "too much"...he's not being honest :lol:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

MatGubbins wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:16 pm Anyway, congratulations for buying one. Don't forget to wear a helmet, hi-viz and bung some lights on it somewhere.
Whaaaatt?! I don't want to look goofy on it you know.
PeterJ wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:16 pm Thanks for the review. Those wheels are indeed very small!
Castors would be more accurate!
Morkin wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:22 pm How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking?
I don't mind at all, 90 spond. I've shown it to quite a few bikey people I know, each time making the joke - "do you want to buy it?" One of them (that guy that fell on his spine) said yes, and meant it! I hadn't considered that anyone would seriously want it - especially after first hand experience - so I'm trying to decide if I want to sell* and buy a proper, serious, folding bike, or indulge the Speccy fan in me that will forgive Uncle Clive just about anything.

*How much would you sell to a good egg that you kind of know? £40?
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Watching at the pic I see the problem is either the bike is too small or you're too tall.

I'm afraid it's the second! :lol:
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Post by zxbruno »

We need an Advanced Sinclair A-Bike Simulator.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Looks like fun to ride! I thought of taking a Town 9 Easyfold scooter but lacked ponies at the moment.
For now I carry a small flask with medical alcohol for the sweaty clothes :lol:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:11 pm Watching at the pic I see the problem is either the bike is too small or you're too tall.

I'm afraid it's the second! :lol:
I'm probably average height these days (have you seen the size of kids today?!), there aren't many that are short enough to fit this bike. My mate had a go and he's 6'4", and I thought I looked absurd on it! It would be funny to see joefish or Dr Beep on an A-Bike.
hikoki wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:17 am Looks like fun to ride! I thought of taking a Town 9 Easyfold scooter but lacked ponies at the moment.
For now I carry a small flask with medical alcohol for the sweaty clothes :lol:
A scooter, or skateboard, would be better than the A-Bike, even better if the scooter folds like that Town 9.
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

What diameter are the wheels? I generally skateboard to work, several miles a day, on 65mm wheels. They're meant for cruising long distance and they work a treat, but those on the A-bike look much larger. Surely it can't be that bad?

Looking at the picture, the main problem is definitely something that several trips to Byron Burgers would fix.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Spud wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:56 pm What diameter are the wheels? I generally skateboard to work, several miles a day, on 65mm wheels. They're meant for cruising long distance and they work a treat, but those on the A-bike look much larger. Surely it can't be that bad?
I think mine is the 6" version (there's also an 8"), but I don't have it with me to check. I don't think it can be compared to a skateboard. Having 4, albeit smaller, wheels will help you over a lot of obstacles - and falling off a skateboard is easier if I remember correctly!

It'll get easier with practice, but IMO the stakes are too high to use this contraption on the road.
Looking at the picture, the main problem is definitely something that several trips to Byron Burgers would fix.
Hehe, we don't have that chain up here, but I'm no stranger to Greggs (cheeky git :mrgreen: )
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

R-Tape posting a pic of himself riding an unicycle would made my day! :lol:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I tried to use the A-Bike on a proper 2 mile commute yesterday: fell off once, nearly fell off thrice. It's properly unsafe.

Still, it fits nicely in the racking on the train.