The ZX Spectrum Explored by Tim Hartnell

Stuff for sale or wanted, hopefully MEGA+@rare!!!, or commercial projects
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Re: The ZX Spectrum Explored by Tim Hartnell

Post by ZXDunny »

I was most upset when WOS changed from individual page images to PDF files - rather than navigate or bookmark a pertinent page, I'd have to download the damned PDF every time I wanted to refer to it. Most annoying, and as the books I'd submitted were intended to be single images I was a little miffed that some idiot had converted them to PDF.

I use CBR/CBZ with Perfect Viewer on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 these days - nothing else installed, just that and my books/comics/magazines. It's brilliant, and can handle PDF files for those ridiculous now-impossible-to-separate Speccy books/mags.

I mean, what's the issue with individual png/jpegs? It's not like WOS didn't have a damned reader built in, is it?
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

it may be as easy as uploading books in the format of cbr,cbz to archive.org or use their viewer from your own host assuming the script is free to use.
see this magazine for example https://archive.org/details/Scream.Quee ... BR-GREASY/
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

ZXDunny wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:53 am I mean, what's the issue with individual png/jpegs? It's not like WOS didn't have a damned reader built in, is it?
I used to love the WoS built in reader too. We have something similar which allows the forward and back, but it's not as feature risk as that was. You can also bookmark pages as well as the URL has the magazine, issue and page number. For example:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/mag.php ... 54&page=31

I'm with the PDF camp for general use. Especially when the files have been OCR enabled. Browsers like Chrome display PDFs without any additional software needed which just suits my needs.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Hi Peter. Let me insist as I believe Archive.org makes the OCR from any zipped folder with images that you upload. Besides, you can also updoad other files like pdf. Have you tried the magazine above? The search function works really well. Perhaps you just have to upload a zipped folder with images inside and they generate the pdf for you as well.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I'm not sure I follow [mention]hikoki[/mention] sorry. But we do.offer PDFs of Magazines to download to, as well as the JPEGs. All are hosted on archive.org.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Do you provide books? Do you upload pdf files? Please see these instructions
https://help.archive.org/hc/en-us/artic ... ake-a-book
all need is to upload a zipped folder (which is actually a cbz file) and their system generates ocr, pdf, torrent, ebook, etc

For some books it may worth the effort to take existing PDFs and make CBZ files with Imagemagick or any other software, then let Archive.org make all the OCR and PDF generation process.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Seems like a lot of effort where PDFs exist, but if you want to do some I'm very happy to host them here for you.
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

hikoki wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:17 pm For some books it may worth the effort to take existing PDFs and make CBZ files with Imagemagick or any other software, then let Archive.org make all the OCR and PDF generation process.
A couple of points.

Contributors have no control over the creation of PDFs on archive.org, the PDF derived by their software for the Scream Queen magazine link you gave above is barely 1.3MB and look absolutely awful.

Ripping images out of PDFs only works properly if the PDFs are simple bitmap wrapped files. A lot of PDF creation software use methods to reduce the final size of the file which causes results that aren't always obvious. Using the link above again if you rip the bitmaps out of it you'll find them a blobby mess, because archive.org uses Omnipage as the OCR engine and makes use of the image optimization features it has. It looks OK through a PDF viewer but awful when you've pulled the images out.
"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Good points [mention]Bizzley[/mention]

I did try downloading PDFs of Popular Computing Weekly and Home Computing Weekly some time back and the quality was indeed terrible.

https://archive.org/details/home-computing-weekly

https://archive.org/details/popular-computing-weekly
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

OK fellows. I'll try to upload some book later to see if there is some way to get decent results ;) Maybe the pdf will be better if the images have a high DPI
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Done. I took this pdf book that Peter shared in this post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=564#p7787
opened it with PDF-XChange Viewer, went to file>export>export to image>save as png ; export mode:save each page to a separate single page image file ; resolution: 600 dpi
resulting in a 20 gb folder which takes up 670 mb after being zipped. Then I changed the extension from .zip to .cbz and uploaded to archive.org
the file is being processed at the moment https://archive.org/details/CrackingCodeZXSpectrum
the comic viewer, ocr powered search,pdf,epub should appear later.. let's see the quality of the automatic generated pdf.
I've read the images within the zip folder are converted to jpeg2000 format so that's why the pdf may be of poor quality. Anyway your cbz file remains in place to download and it seems possible to edit files according to this page, https://help.archive.org/hc/en-us/artic ... ting-item-
so I could just add the original pdf file.
Most importantly you have a nice comic viewer and their pdf is small and good enough to read online.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Another alternative could be to upload pdf books to openlibrary.org
For instance see these z80 assembler books, https://openlibrary.org/search?q=Z80+as ... ltext=true
You could just provide such "read" links which open pdf books with a nice reader.
For pdf books in the wos mirror that don't have OCR, you can add OCR with PDF-XChange Viewer which is free, o maybe it is not necessary as openlibrary.org may add OCR when you upload pdf files, I don't know.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

There you have the Internet Archive BookReader https://openlibrary.org/dev/docs/bookreader
One can download the sources and just edit links within the javascript.
I think I'll stop here : ) thanks for your time
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

The search function in the above book is ready! It took the text three days to get indexed, which was expected when reading the FAQ.
Search inside is not working for a book?
Books are not always indexed quickly and sometimes, due to factors such as size, cannot be indexed at all. Sometimes it is a bug and we would appreciate being notified.

Anyways forget the cbz comic hassle. Just upload the original pdf and that's it, all the files including the image viewer and OCR will be generated by the system. Don't forget to add OCR to the original file with pdf-xchange viewer so users can search after downloading it.
If you want the book to be listed on openlibrary.org, you'll have to create an entry in there and associate it with the book link in archive.org
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

I've received the book. Right now, I'm starting to type in the programs for the archive. Once those are done, I'll begin to scan the book itself.
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

PROSM wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:46 pm I've received the book. Right now, I'm starting to type in the programs for the archive. Once those are done, I'll begin to scan the book itself.
Thank you!!!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

PROSM wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:46 pm I've received the book. Right now, I'm starting to type in the programs for the archive. Once those are done, I'll begin to scan the book itself.
Glad it arrived OK.
Hedge1970
Manic Miner

Post by Hedge1970 »

Off the back of this post I googled around a and found a copy of this book. Thanks for the awareness :D
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hedge1970 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:18 am Off the back of this post I googled around a and found a copy of this book. Thanks for the awareness :D
No problem

Yes, they come up on eBay regularly for around £8 - £10
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

A week after having received the book, I'm about halfway through typing in the games chapter (the 2nd last and largest chapter of the book). The last chapter (on three-dimensional graphics) only contains a very short type-in, so it should be the quickest one to finish. Once the type-ins are complete, I will turn my attention to scanning in the book.

Interestingly, there's a foreword by Sir Clive himself, which reads:
A sheet of paper may carry the jottings of an idiot or a sonnet by Shakespeare, but by itself it is nothing. In the same way a computer, however powerful it may be, is only what the programmer makes it, and therefore the skill and art of programming has risen to great importance. Hence this book, which takes over where the manual provided with the Spectrum leaves off. No manual can say it all and ours can only give the basics of programming. This book, by means of program examples, teaches skills of programming which, without its aid, might take years to acquire. It will be of great benefit both to the reader who has recently taken up programming and to the more experienced programmer who wishes to increase his skills.

Clive Sinclair
All software to-date
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

Right, finally got around to finishing off the type-ins. I had a long break of about a month when I came across the listing for Jack-man - it was just this huge monstrous block of PRINT statements for the first two pages!

Anyway, here's a link for the download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/za8blh5m5ati0 ... s.zip?dl=0

I've provided a TAP image of each listing labelled in the contents section of the book, and also screenshots for each of them (except the ones that don't display anything) so that they can be rapidly sorted for preservation in ZXDB. I've tried my best to get everything formatted exactly as it is in the book, but I've probably made one or two little slips here and there (believe it or not, reading from listings produced on a ZX Printer is not easy :P ), so I might release revised tape images if I find mistakes.

Now to actually scan the book itself.
All software to-date
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Let us know how you end up scanning the book.

As an experiment, I uploaded this pdf book to archive.org
https://archive.org/download/CrackingTh ... ZXSpectrum
I recommend the freeware program pdf-xchange viewer to add OCR to the original pdf file before uploading it.
Archive.org will generate ocr (besides other files like a jpg zipped folder) automatically though the ocr is just available when reading online, so it is best that you add ocr to the original file which can be downloadd as you can see on the links above.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PROSM wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:31 pm Right, finally got around to finishing off the type-ins. I had a long break of about a month when I came across the listing for Jack-man - it was just this huge monstrous block of PRINT statements for the first two pages!
Amazing dedication! Cheers PROSM. Ta for providing them in such a clear way. I probably won't get manage to them collated in time for the upcoming update, but if not it will be the following one.

EDIT - how do we think these should be presented?

-A different ZXDB ID for every type in, and linked as a group?
-or all under 1 ID, under the title "ZX-Spectrum Explored"?