Anyone interested in a brand new Sinclair ZX80 case?

Stuff for sale or wanted, hopefully MEGA+@rare!!!, or commercial projects
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Anyone interested in a brand new Sinclair ZX80 case?

Post by 1024MAK »

A member of the Sinclair ZX World forum is trying to get a run of brand new Sinclair ZX80 cases manufactured.

He says this:
jomac wrote: I've been working hard recently in getting together different manufacturers in order to produce an EXACT copy of the Sinclair ZX80 case, either the original, or the later injection moulded version.

This case would be commercially manufactured using the exact same plastics, trimmed and cut out using a CNC, screen printed in exactly the same way with the stickers produced and attached. When i say exact, i mean exact.!

I am hoping the final price will be around £55 posted in the UK, final price depends on the interest.

A lot of effort has gone into this, and was never intended as a commercial venture, but after discussing the idea in the FaceBook groups i was inundated with requests for more information.
jomac wrote:The final price will be £49.95 plus postage and there will be 4 versions of the case. Antenna hole to the left for UK etc, hole to the right for USA etc, hole in the centre for clones and one with no hole.
If the remaining problems are ironed out, the arrangements will likely be that I will take payment and send the cases out to any Spectrum Computing forum members that want them.

So if you are interested in buying one or more, please reply in this thread. Please let me know how many you wish to buy and which version (four choices).

Note that at this stage, consider this a pre-order list. I will post again when I have more information.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Re: Anyone interested in a brand new Sinclair ZX80 case?

Post by RMartins »

Maybe, but the price seems a bit steep for what it is.
atjens
Drutt

Post by atjens »

I would be interested in one case.
/Anders
------
Avid Sinclair collector, @atjens, writes occasionally at https://dansk8bit.dk
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

RMartins wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:35 pm Maybe, but the price seems a bit steep for what it is.
A limited run with the associated one-off tooling costs that can't be amortised over a much larger unit number is likely the reason for that. I doubt anyone is retiring on the money, and all else considered this actually seems quite a reasonable price for any enthusiast.
simmonj
Drutt

Post by simmonj »

I would be interested in a UK version.

Jeff
DamnedOne
Drutt

Post by DamnedOne »

Yes please! I would be interested in 2.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

You might find this project interesting. There's a link there to a thingiverse design for an entire ZX80 replica.
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
DamnedOne
Drutt

Post by DamnedOne »

dfzx wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:16 am You might find this project interesting. There's a link there to a thingiverse design for an entire ZX80 replica.
Thanks. Yes, I have seen that one. Not too keen on 3D printing. I believe that he vacuum formed case would definitely be a better option. And there is this project for vacuum form molds of the ZX80 case ... https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2587664

I did see that jomac ran into copywrite issues and had made an application for his project. He was expecting results by Jan 2020. But haven't seen anything posted since then (that I can find).
J2112Z
Dizzy

Post by J2112Z »

Just for the record - put me down on the pre-order list for a UK model, if this project takes off - fingers crossed!
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

I believe that there have been various problems and hence this project has stalled.

If / when I have any news, I will post it here.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

So, just to keep track, the following members have expressed an interest:
  • ‪atjens (‬Anders) - I would be interested in one case.
  • ‪simmonj‬ (Jeff) - I would be interested in a UK version.
  • ‪DamnedOne‬ - Yes please! I would be interested in 2. [Atlhough you have posted over on Sinclair ZX World as well!]
  • ‪J2112Z‬ - put me down on the pre-order list for a UK model, if this project takes off - fingers crossed!
Mark
“There are four lights!”