Discussion on Site Advertising

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Discussion on Site Advertising

Post by PeterJ »

Hello,

I had a contact during the week from a company who produce retro related merchandise asking about collaborating with us. In return they would provide support for website hosting and other costs.

My view has always been that I want to stay 100% independent (I want the freedom for us to constructively comment on products and services (regardless of if it is positive or negative), and rather than any form of collaboration or advertising, I prefer rely on the generosity of our members in making donations towards our costs.

What are you thoughts. I'm happy to review it if the majority of users are positive about adding advertising.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Re: Discussion on Site Advertising

Post by stupidget »

I think anything that help with the costs of runnig the site and future enhancements can only be a good thing, plus I image you'll get a nice discount on their merch :D

Any idea how intrusive any advertising would be? I use an ad-blocker but would be happy to disable it for Spectrum Comuting if it'd help.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

I wouldn't object to a subtle "Sponsored by..." header or footer on each page, but flashing, flickering videos trying to catch my attention are the bane of the internet. Please don't start slapping that sort of thing on site!

Generally I value the site's independence (and have contributed a few quid towards it) so if ads aren't financially necessary, I'd vote no. But if it comes down to SC with ads or no SC, then it becomes an easy choice. :)
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

I'm allergic to ads (have no distinction as to their intrusivity) and this won't change even in regard to this great site. I'd much rather donate, perhaps a monthly target "counter" or some such would help to remind us to chip in?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]dfzx[/mention],

Advertising is not currently financially necessary,
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeterJ wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:06 am My view has always been that I want to stay 100% independent (I want the freedom for us to constructively comment on products and services (regardless of if it is positive or negative), and rather than any form of collaboration or advertising, I prefer rely on the generosity of our members in making donations towards our costs.
Agreed. I really hope we can keep this on a charitable basis. Having ads, however well done, and however good the sponsors, tends looks cheap. Even with the best of intentions, having sponsors also makes the place look more like a shop for profit than a museum.

People are more than welcome to pimp (without excessive spamming) their retro related stuff in announcements, news and sales for free :)

Keep it for the love of!

This post was sponsored by Parsons' Laverbread.

Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

If the cash isn't needed then don't do it. I'd rather see a fundraising totaliser for members than ads on the site.
It doesn't really matter how politely the approach has been, once the advertising gets its foot in the door it can only get worse.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thank you for the comments. I like to keep the donations links discreet, but we still regularly get donations which is great (including one this morning - Thank you). If and when we need a donations push I will post on the site. I appreciate things are hard for many at the moment.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

I'd prefer a donation drive, rather than adverts if possible.

And yes, floating autoplaying videos are the worst.
CLEAR 23855
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

uglifruit wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:56 pm And yes, floating autoplaying videos are the worst.
Definitely. I like to be able to enjoy my Speccy fix without distractions, perhaps while enjoying Parsons' Laverbread liberally spread onto buttered toast.
PQR
Manic Miner

Post by PQR »

I agree with the majority of comments here -- adverts are intrusive and I'd be happy to continue to donate to avoid any financial reasons to implement them.

Next to that I don't like adverts for another reason: tracking.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

I'm on board with no advertising unless it's absolutely necessary. This is the only site I visit which is ad-free and it's pure bliss!
I'm happy to donate and especially when it's needed, and thanks for sharing this topic.
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

I would / will pledge a donation to keep ads out of here. Sites like this are a nice escape from, and antidote to, social media and the rest of the crap on the web these days.
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

If it’s a decent company focused on retro products, then I don’t see the problem with sponsored content or small adverts. Advertising isn’t all evil and if it’s going to help keep a retro focused company going, then it’s a “good thing” in my opinion.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

For me, I wouldn't mind advertising if it was just a thin static banner at the top that takes you elsewhere if you click on it.

But I would hate an intrusive animated banner trying to steal my attention from the actual site content...

Anyway this is just my opinion, the decision is not mine. Although I have been helping with site development occasionally, I'm neither an admin or moderator here, so this is not my call. :)
NickH
Drutt

Post by NickH »

From current experience, I get MUCH more via a Ko-Fi link than from ads (ads provided by Google) - and the money is from fans who want to give you money, rather than indirectly from fans you're imposing ads on. It depends what your objective is - do you want to subsidise the website, or do you want to support companies selling retro stuff? I'm re-developing one of my websites and seriously thinking of dropping ads entirely and switching over to just Ko-Fi.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

I would prefer that the whole site continues to be advertisement free.

Sponsorship is slightly different, but in some ways, this decision is harder to make, as sponsorship can work both ways. It may help a company that supports our hobby. And if they include links to Spectrum Computing, the site may have both an additional source of income and may pick up more visitors and forum members.

However, it would have to be carefully done. As others have said, tasteful and reasonably sized banners (as one possible example). Not moving or flashing images (regardless of which form).

I’ve contributed money to the site before, and am happy to do so again. I would rather the money flow directly from me to the site rather than via a company and an advertising agency. May as well cut out the middle(wo)men.

Although I am very good at ignoring adverts generally. So it is very uncommon for me to actually read / view / watch / listen to an advert and then buy the product or service that was being advertised. But there must be plenty of people who do respond to adverts, otherwise companies wouldn’t do it...

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:35 pm Definitely. I like to be able to enjoy my Speccy fix without distractions, perhaps while enjoying Parsons' Laverbread liberally spread onto buttered toast.
Hmm. Now I'm genuinely getting Parsons' Laverbread adverts on my Yahoo homepage... :?
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

I don't mind ads presented in reasonable way.
Proud owner of Didaktik M
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

The internet isn't free.
A banner with a ref id is fine.
A tracking cookie, flashing, speaking, continuously scrolling, unblockable video ad isn't.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:15 am Hmm. Now I'm genuinely getting Parsons' Laverbread adverts on my Yahoo homepage... :?
This is beyond depressing. Probably thanks to Google's Analytics embedded in some of the forum soft.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

akeley wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:38 pm This is beyond depressing. Probably thanks to Google's Analytics embedded in some of the forum soft.
Not necessarily. I don't know how it all works really. I did search for it a bit using google, (so I could get the picture of a tin of Parsons' laverbread), so maybe it's because of that.

It's not a problem of course, because I plan to buy a box of the stuff anyway. Not only is Parsons' Laverbread a tasty toast topper, it's very nutritious - possibly even a superfood.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:28 pm It's not a problem of course, because I plan to buy a box of the stuff anyway.
I don't agree that it's not a problem, but I'll leave it at that. I'm trying to steer clear of these uber-depressing topics on this forum, keep it all happy and retro (and occasionally failing - to wit 8-) )
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

akeley wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:43 pm I don't agree that it's not a problem, but I'll leave it at that. I'm trying to steer clear of these uber-depressing topics on this forum, keep it all happy and retro (and occasionally failing - to wit 8-) )
I'm kidding. I'm just saying that it's not necessarily related to the forum software, it might have been due me using google separately.

(Unless everyone is now getting adverts for Parsons' Laverbread)
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

dfzx wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:58 am I wouldn't object to a subtle "Sponsored by..." header or footer on each page, ...
This really seems the only thing acceptable if we really need advertising (monetary support).

But having no advertising would be ideal.
Last edited by RMartins on Sun May 30, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.