Responsive theme

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
Uto
Drutt

Responsive theme

Post by Uto »

Hi all,

May I suggest adding a responsive phpbb3 theme as Air Theme to the site? I don't mean changing the main one, at least not for now, just install some other as optional so we can choose it from our profile. At the moment is a pain to read this forum in a smartphone browser :-)
http://uto.speccy.org
Follow me at @uto_dev
hikoki
Manic Miner

Re: Responsive theme

Post by hikoki »

Hi chaps. [mention]Uto[/mention] styles for the latest forum version should be quite responsible?
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles-2/3.2
Could you take a look and see which ones go well for y'all? Maybe proflat
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Uto wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:30 pm Hi all,

May I suggest adding a responsive phpbb3 theme as Air Theme to the site? I don't mean changing the main one, at least not for now, just install some other as optional so we can choose it from our profile. At the moment is a pain to read this forum in a smartphone browser :-)
Hello [mention]Uto[/mention] Its good to see you here. I'm a great fan of the ZX-Uno. It was a very successful crowdfunding campaign and well managed.

At the moment with the forum only being one week old we are focusing on settling things in and getting used to the administration functions. We have spoken about adding a poll in the future to enable users to vote on which themes will be installed (and as you say users can then choose their own theme through their settings). The current theme will most probably stay as Prosilver.

Which mobile browser are you using? I use Chrome on Android and although my ageing sight is not the best, I find it really clear to read.

This is the page with the demos of the themes compatible with the current version.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... r/demo/3.2
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

I've had no problems with Chrome or Firefox on Android.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

Ditto, forum seems to work fine to me on Firefox Android.
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

Having full width posts makes the text harder to read.
Long lines are problematic, that's why magazines and newspapers use columns :D

These things have been studied by large enterprises (Apple, Microsoft, etc) and have a scientific background.
That's why Facebook on my PC only occupies a tiny fraction of the screen ;)
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

4thRock wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:32 pm Having full width posts makes the text harder to read.
Long lines are problematic, that's why magazines and newspapers use columns :D

These things have been studied by large enterprises (Apple, Microsoft, etc) and have a scientific background.
That's why Facebook on my PC only occupies a tiny fraction of the screen ;)
Hmm, I must be odd then. Because I normally use an iPad mini or an iPhone in landscape mode... I find magazine and newspaper columns a bit of a pain when reading electronic copies (the real paper versions are not so bad).

And the mobile version of Facebook is painful (at least in landscape mode).

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

1024MAK wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:45 pm I find magazine and newspaper columns a bit of a pain
That’s not unusual. However, numerous studies have demonstrated that the ideal line length is about twelve to fourteen words, if memory serves.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Uto
Drutt

Post by Uto »

Hi all and thank you for the welcome!

I've realized the current theme is somehow responsive after loading it on Chrome in my iPhone 7. Sadly, it's not working on Safari, so I guess most iPhone 6/7/8/X users and maybe those with previous versions would be facing the same issue I am facing :(

That issue happens as well on all the example themes you linked, but that is as expected, cause basically they all share same inner layout. It doesn't happen though with the theme I linked, so I guess that theme properly recognizes my phone as a phone, not a desktop PC.

Of course I can do many things to avoid that, as unlocking rotation and read in portrait mode, or using Chrome to read this forum, but honestly, in the long term it's uncomfortable , and nor me nor anyone else these days would do that often without getting tired of it soon.

Having or not having a working responsive theme won't change my mind on this forum, I think it's going to be the new WOS and I'm happy just because it exists, but being uncomfortable while reading won't help me to read/write often, and probably same goes for other Safari/iPhone users.

Of course I understand admins have a lot of work to do, so I'm just asking to put this on the to-do-list, and have a look at it when possible :-)
Follow me at @uto_dev
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Hmmm... this is odd. I have just tried the site in Safari on an iPhone 6 (running iOS 10) and it looked fine to me.

I think this is probably for one of the more technical members of the team.
Uto
Drutt

Post by Uto »

Not that odd, actually it was my bad, after checking Safari options I found a submenu called "advanced options" and two options checked: fixed viewport and constant properties. To be honest I can't remember checking those, I don't even remember having been in that menu before, but I probably did at some point... curiosity killed the cat :-)

It's working fine now and I can see the forum properly, sorry for bothering you with this :roll:
Follow me at @uto_dev
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]Uto[/mention]

I'm glad you got it sorted.