Private messages

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: Private messages

Post by Ralf »

Indeed you can never guarantee an online resource will always be there. If something is that important to you maintain an offline copy.
Actually very true. I remember that we lost all our private messages on WOS when Lee migrated forum engine to another one.

And I'll tell you more. Maybe I'm ageing, obsolete man ;) but I completely don't get this current trend of holding all your important files in some "cloud", on some online service which can disappear any day without any notice and which is managed by some anonymous guys who have access to my data even if they claim they don't. I just prefer having everything on my hard drive + 2 or so backup copies.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

stupidget wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:17 pm Ooh get you Mr Popular!!! I've got 6 PM's :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not only is 5th March pancake day, it's "send stu a PM day"!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I agree [mention]Ralf[/mention]

When I'm away from home things like Dropbox are really useful for magazines and music, but I wouldn't use them as my backup solution.

Having said that I've got a twin drive NAS at home, but if that got stolen I would loose everything so I need to buy a portable backup unit I can leave at an alternative location
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

On the bottom left in the messages section there is an export facility. That’s what I use to back-up messages.
Once I am happy that I have a back-up, I can then delete any I don’t want from the forum. And yes, I know that the export is not as good as the in-context message on the forum.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Good suggestion!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

1024MAK wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:43 pm On the bottom left in the messages section there is an export facility.
Doh, I misread that is an exploit facility. So disappointed now. :cry:
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

stupidget wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:17 pm
Ralf wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:09 am Would there be any chance to increase number of private messages that a forum user may receive?

I find the current number of 50 messages much too small. I have exceeded this number and have to delete messages to receive new messages. I really hate doing it, each of these messages has some personal value to me ;)

Ooh get you Mr Popular!!! I've got 6 PM's :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I've had a couple of questions from users about PMs they have sent being 'stuck' in their outbox. These messages stay in the outbox until the recipient has opened them.

I hope that clarifies things.