Changes to search

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Changes to search

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks for the example [mention]djnzx48[/mention].

Let me review, over the next few days. I won't implement on the advanced search until we have a resolution. I appreciate the feedback.

There are hundreds of posts on Stack Exchange about this sort of thing.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]djnzx48[/mention]

Can you try it now. I have implemented the following:

https://github.com/infralabs/DiacriticsRemovePHP

Peter
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:24 pm Ta!

Is there any way that e.g. "3D" could be a viable search?
[mention]R-Tape[/mention]
Can you try it now with '3D ' (That is 3D or 3d followed by one space). Not perfect, but small steps...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:04 am @R-Tape
Can you try it now with '3D ' (That is 3D or 3d followed by one space). Not perfect, but small steps...
Excellent! Thanks.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

It looks like it's gone back to the old behaviour now... as in input is unfiltered and wildcards can still be searched. That PHP script might work, but I suppose it would mean that non-Latin alphabets (such as Russian) could not be used? Not that there are currently any Russian titles in the database anyway.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Try again please.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]djnzx48[/mention]

When you enter in a search now you will see three data fields above the search results:

Entry Text: aña
Processed Text: ana
Character Length: 3

These columns will be removed after the testing phase.

I'm not going to implement non-latin alphabets.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

OK, yep. The Latin character replacement thing seems to be working. But it's still allowing wildcards for me.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

djnzx48 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:54 am OK, yep. The Latin character replacement thing seems to be working. But it's still allowing wildcards for me.
Try one more time for me please!

Entry Text: ***
Processed Text: ***
Character Length: 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGBhQbmPwH8

[mention]R-Tape[/mention] & [mention]Joefish[/mention] - '3D' temporarily removed, will be back as soon as I know why it's breaking other things!
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Hi Peter. Could you add a Machine filter for All Classic Spectrum models? Thanks for the site.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

hikoki wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:45 am Hi Peter. Could you add a Machine filter for All Classic Spectrum models? Thanks for the site.
Hi, yes. Good idea. Will add to the list.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]R-Tape[/mention]

'3D ' now working again. Note - Uppercase D and space at the end. Apologies for the issues.
Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn »

This probably isn't anything anything that anyone else wants (and if so, please just ignore me), but is it possible to search for games that have an entry in the "Comments" field? Some of the comments have some great information (e.g. Bandersnatch, Sqij!, etc.) and I'd love to be able to find more of that sort of thing.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Fahnn wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:42 pm This probably isn't anything anything that anyone else wants (and if so, please just ignore me), but is it possible to search for games that have an entry in the "Comments" field? Some of the comments have some great information (e.g. Bandersnatch, Sqij!, etc.) and I'd love to be able to find more of that sort of thing.
Thanks for the suggestion. I could do you a CSV or Excel export of all the games with comments, and include the comments. Would that help?
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

This is what we are using, and we are trying to avoid allowing search returning huge numbers of rows
Just throwing this thought in the ring...

If limiting number of results why not allow any old stupid search criteria but then limit what is returned to screen and post a message saying...

"This search generated more than 500 results, please refine your search criteria"

Or whatever number or message you see fit. Then all this work isn't needed?
Just an idea.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

hitm4n wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:16 pm
This is what we are using, and we are trying to avoid allowing search returning huge numbers of rows
Just throwing this thought in the ring...

If limiting number of results why not allow any old stupid search criteria but then limit what is returned to screen and post a message saying...

"This search generated more than 500 results, please refine your search criteria"

Or whatever number or message you see fit. Then all this work isn't needed?
Just an idea.
Hi, it's an idea, but I would prefer not to restrict results. With the current system I think that we have the most flexible search system we possibly can, but I'm always happy to listen and make changes if the majority of users want something. Search is very complicated due to the non-UK characters.

The only limitation is three alphanumeric characters in search which I don't believe will cause any issues 99.9% of the time, but as mentioned I'm open to suggestions such as the request for 3D which has been implemented.
Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:20 pm
Fahnn wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:42 pm This probably isn't anything anything that anyone else wants (and if so, please just ignore me), but is it possible to search for games that have an entry in the "Comments" field? Some of the comments have some great information (e.g. Bandersnatch, Sqij!, etc.) and I'd love to be able to find more of that sort of thing.
Thanks for the suggestion. I could do you a CSV or Excel export of all the games with comments, and include the comments. Would that help?
Talk about service! That would be amazing! But please don't go to any trouble on my behalf, I was really just wondering whether all the fields were searchable. I'd figured out how to search the main ones, but had wondered if the search might extend beyond those.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

No problem [mention]Fahnn[/mention]. I will do over the weekend.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Fahnn wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:39 pm This probably isn't anything anything that anyone else wants (and if so, please just ignore me), but is it possible to search for games that have an entry in the "Comments" field?
Hi [mention]Fahnn[/mention]

Here is a CSV file with a list of all titles in ZXDB and the comments included.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 2747063454

Peter
Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:24 pm
Hi @Fahnn

Here is a CSV file with a list of all titles in ZXDB and the comments included.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 2747063454

Peter
Peter, this is absolutely fantastic. It's exactly what I was looking for! I'm really looking forward to having a good browse through all the data but can already see that there's some fascinating bits and pieces in there. Many thanks!