Magazine Scores

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Magazine Scores

Post by PeterJ » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:58 am

Now that ZXDB has the ZXSR data from @Vampyre, we have made some changes to our website so you can view the scores.

Find a 'classic' game, and expand the 'magazine refefences' section. For each review you will now see the appropriate score displayed.

Enjoy.
7 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Re: Magazine Scores

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:44 am

First of all, thanks for the new feature.

But I find it a bit confused as the mag scores are 'diluted' among so much magazine info.

What if all the available scores were summarised in their own section?, something like this:

Magazine scores
---------------------------
Crash 93%
SU 82%
YS 7/10
etc etc

And the 'original wos score' might be removed and be included in this section.

I know the hard work you all are doing and as I've said sometimes before, I have no idea of databases and coding in general, so what I'm proposing might be almost hard or impossible to implement.
0 x

8BitAG
Manic Miner

Post by 8BitAG » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:49 am

One of the issues you would probably need to address, to make a summary, is the fact that many games were reviewed more than once by each magazine. It does make sense having the scores alongside the corresponding reviews in the magazine section, I think.
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:50 am

Hi @Juan F. Ramirez ,

Thanks for the feedback. It's certainly something we can look at. What do others think?
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:50 am

8BitAG wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:49 am
One of the issues you would probably need to address, to make a summary, is the fact that many games were reviewed more than once by each magazine. It does make sense having the scores alongside the corresponding reviews in the magazine section, I think.
Good point.
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:23 pm

We have added a new section called Magazine Reviews on the game details pages, which looks like this:

Sinclair User giving a very good review to the original Dizzy!

Let us know what you think.
3 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:29 pm

Looks better.

Now all the available scores in the same place (and the corresponding mag reviews). Thanks!
0 x

Vampyre
Microbot

Post by Vampyre » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:51 pm

This is awesome and exactly like I envisaged it. Just so everyone knows I'm still rifling through the magazines and if the review exists in the PDF's I'm using then eventually it will be added. ZXSR has all the reviews for Crash, Your Sinclair, Your Spectrum, Sinclair User, C&VG, The Games Machine, Ace and Big K. I'm currently in the process of adding Personal Computer Games.

Later on we could even think of adding the other scores (Graphics, Sound, Playability, etc). They're all present in ZXSR as separate entities (each score is it's own record I mean). Then some score-mining/comparing could really go on :-)

Well done Peter and the dev team! Excellent work.
2 x

Vampyre
Microbot

Post by Vampyre » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:00 pm

Getting a bit over-excited with this now!

What I also have in the ZXSR database is the review award (Crash Smash, YS Megagame, C+VG Game of the Month) flagged that might be nice as a small image next to the score. Whilst much of the time these were obvious (anything 90% or greater in Crash for example was a Crash Smash), not all of them were. C&VG Game of the Month Speccy titles were quite rare (Cyclone was definitely one, but Knight Lore wasn't even though it received almost perfect marks) and Crash even gave Smashes to sub-90% games (Tapper and Spy Hunter spring to mind).

Just throwing thoughts out there - let me know if I'm getting ahead of myself!
Last edited by Vampyre on Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:12 pm

Vampyre wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:00 pm
Getting a bit over-excited with this now!

What I also have in the ZXSR database is the review award (Crash Smash, YS Megagame, C+VG Game of the Month) flagged that might be nice as a small image next to the score. Whilst much of the time these were obvious (anything 90% or greater in Crash for example was a Crash Smash), not all of them were. C&VG Game of the Month Speccy titles were quite rate (Cyclone was definitely one, but Knight Lore wasn't even though it received almost perfect marks) and Crash even gave Smashes to sub-90% games (Tapper and Spy Hunter spring to mind).
Great idea, and certainly something we could look at.
0 x