Magazine Scores

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: Magazine Scores

Post by Morkin »

Nice one chaps...! :)

I didn't realise that ACE scored their games out of 1000... :lol:
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Morkin wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:17 pm Nice one chaps...! :)

I was surprised by that too.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

How about including scores of reviews from Spanish magazine Micro Hobby? It was arguably the most important Spectrum-related magazine outside of the UK, with lots of excellent technical and programming articles as well as game coverage, and it also reviewed a number titles that were not released there.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Alessandro wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:55 pm How about including scores of reviews from Spanish magazine Micro Hobby? It was arguably the most important Spectrum-related magazine outside of the UK, with lots of excellent technical and programming articles as well as game coverage, and it also reviewed a number titles that were not released there.
Hi [mention]Alessandro[/mention]

I for one love Micro Hobby, and I wish we had something like it in the UK.

The magazines are available as scans for quite a few reviews but the indexes are incomplete, and ZXSR focuses on English magazines.

As an example take a look at Herbert's Dummy Run in the magazine references section, you will see reviews and tips from Micro Hobby included and links to the scans

If anyone would be interested in collating the information I'm sure [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] would be happy to include it. It's a big task but would be great to have all the information, including as as you suggest scores included.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

I still think it would be a great idea to have our own Spectrum computing scores in each entry, making available to the registered members of SC vote for the games :)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Ivanzx wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:47 pm I still think it would be a great idea to have our own Spectrum computing scores in each entry, making available to the registered members of SC vote for the games :)
That's still on the cards [mention]Ivanzx[/mention]. Just trying to find the right solution.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

PeterJ wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:53 pm
Ivanzx wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:47 pm I still think it would be a great idea to have our own Spectrum computing scores in each entry, making available to the registered members of SC vote for the games :)
That's still on the cards @Ivanzx. Just trying to find the right solution.
That is Marvellous news, thanks for your effort, Peter :)
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Morkin wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:17 pm Nice one chaps...! :)

Yup, I'm willing to bet a few people looked at the scans to find the mistake :lol:
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

PeterJ wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:30 pm
Alessandro wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:55 pm How about including scores of reviews from Spanish magazine Micro Hobby? It was arguably the most important Spectrum-related magazine outside of the UK, with lots of excellent technical and programming articles as well as game coverage, and it also reviewed a number titles that were not released there.
Hi @Alessandro

I for one love Micro Hobby, and I wish we had something like it in the UK.

The magazines are available as scans for quite a few reviews but the indexes are incomplete, and ZXSR focuses on English magazines.

As an example take a look at Herbert's Dummy Run in the magazine references section, you will see reviews and tips from Micro Hobby included and links to the scans

If anyone would be interested in collating the information I'm sure @Einar Saukas would be happy to include it. It's a big task but would be great to have all the information, including as as you suggest scores included.
To be honest I never even thought about non-English magazines. I'm quite happy to add them to ZXSR as long as the scans are available. They'll probably be full of spelling errors though - the OCRing is never perfect and I usually mop up the errors - but English is my only language...

Don't hold your breath though (I've been doing this about 15 years to give some perspective, but have vastly improved my processes). There's still Personal Computer Games to finish off, then: Micro Adventurer, Personal Computer News, Sinclair Programs and Your Computer to do first. Those are just the mags I have as OCR'd PDF's (thanks to the god that is @KenD), there's loads more listed in ZXDB that I don't have scans of yet.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I've not seen [mention]KenD[/mention] around for ages, and his site was last updated in 2017. He his indeed a legend. Anyone know if he is OK?
KenD
Drutt

Post by KenD »

Apologies for reviving an old thread, and for the lack of updates to RetroPDFs; I took a bit of a break after getting far too angry with a certain owner of a well-known Spectrum website. The hopefully good news is I should have an update to the site before the end of 2020, and I'm still seeding all the torrents (6Tb so far!). Thanks for the kind words, I'm still here!
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Great to see you back Ken! ZXSR would be nothing, absolutely nothing, without your amazing work on RetroPDF's.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Here, here! Your PDFs have been much appreciated on many long train or plane journeys. Thanks [mention]KenD[/mention]!