firefox safety alert

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
holycross
Drutt

firefox safety alert

Post by holycross »

It happened on a single webpage of the site, but stilk posting it as alert gfelt weird
It is in french but it is about invalid certificate
"Les sites web justifient leur identité par des certificats. Firefox ne fait pas confiance à ce site, car il utilise un certificat qui n’est pas valide pour www.spectrumcomputing.co.uk. Le certificat n’est valide que pour spectrumcomputing.co.uk.

Code d’erreur : SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN"
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Re: firefox safety alert

Post by djnzx48 »

The same issue was previously brought up here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=37&p=499#p499

It's because the security certificate isn't valid for www.spectrumcomputing.co.uk, but only for spectrumcomputing.co.uk (without the www).
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]holycross[/mention]

Thanks for reporting this. I thought it had been fixed last time. I use Chrome and never have an issue (with or without the www).

I'm not an expert in this area, but followed a tutorial on Digital Ocean and use LetsEncrypt.

I will install Firefox and see if I can replicate the issues, and will check the LetsEncrypt forums.

If anyone is an expert in this area, please PM me. Thanks
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

I would occasionally get this problem with both desktop and Android Chrome, usually a refresh after a minute would 'solve' the issue, and only once did it persist for something like an hour. Same warning but in English. I binned Chrome for Firefox on desktop and Android around a month ago and haven't seen the issue since. Anecdotal I know but from that I suspect it's an issue at the server end and not the browser..? Also, if the message is coming up in french is there a VPN in use? I know I get my Spotify ads in French if I VPN into France.

Reading this back I feel like I'm muddying the water a bit.. :|
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

That's a very good point [mention]DouglasReynholm[/mention]. I had assumed [mention]holycross[/mention] was in France!

Could you confirm your location and if you are using any special configuration or a VPN?

I thought I had sent a PM to [mention]tez[/mention] last time (who kindly offered to help) this was an issue, but I may well be mistaken.

Anyway it's my birthday today, so I'm off out for the day, but will do some more testing later in the week.

Thanks

Peter

Update: just send email to Tez
holycross
Drutt

Post by holycross »

I do livein France indeed. It might be a www issue as I was reading an old message
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Just an a update, I'm in touch with [mention]tez[/mention] and he is helping me out. More information in due course.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

The easy fix might be to just use a blob or three of a bit of rewrite to force it to not use it regardless.

Code: Select all

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://www.%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [R=301,L]
Caution: Untested as I don't have an active site at this moment (long story) and it does/did not currently have a valid SSL cert anyway.
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

PeterJ wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:39 am @holycross

Thanks for reporting this. I thought it had been fixed last time. I use Chrome and never have an issue (with or without the www).

I'm not an expert in this area, but followed a tutorial on Digital Ocean and use LetsEncrypt.

I will install Firefox and see if I can replicate the issues, and will check the LetsEncrypt forums.

If anyone is an expert in this area, please PM me. Thanks
The problem I'm seeing (in Firefox) is a result of http images from elsewhere - @Einar Saukas is using an external avatar - http://i64.tinypic.com/2ppakx4.png - since I have a notification from him - Firefox is flagging all pages due to mixed content (the notifications are there but not rendered).
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Yes [mention]Stefan[/mention] unfortunately that sort of thing can happen?

[mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] could you try uploading your aviator and see if that helps? I can increase the file size limit if that is causing an issue.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Done!
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Stefan wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:05 am using an external avatar
Well spotted. :)

One of the reasons I tend to not permit externally "linked" profile pics/avatars as it can cause this issue and/or be annoyning if the site they are on is acting up.
Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:17 pmDone!
:) :) :)