Contact Us Spam

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Contact Us Spam

Post by PeterJ »

One of the downsides of our little website starting to get noticed is the amount of spam I receive through the 'Contact Us' link on the homepage. I'm getting at least 10 a day, and it's starting to cause some frustration.

I had considered simply turning the contact us form off in the phpBB control panel, but occasionally I do get legitimate messages.

Does anyone who is actively administrating a phpBB site know of a solution that they are using. You can't seem to add a Captcha and I can't find a suitable plugin to offer this functionality. It seems to be a fairly common problem.

Thanks all
MrBlaz
Dizzy

Re: Contact Us Spam

Post by MrBlaz »

You can try with a honeypot: https://gist.github.com/andrewlimaza/95 ... bfc8d535ff. Not the ultimate defense, but it's so easy to implement that it's worth to try.

Regards
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:58 pm Thanks all
1. Understandable
2. Yes it is a bit too useful to turn off. Disabling for guests won't have any real effect however
3. Multi answer: No , Yes and Yes

You have a PM anyway. ;) :)
holycross
Drutt

Post by holycross »

I think before joining the forum I did try the contact us button, but felt frustration because after using it an error message was displayed. I don't know if it is relatedto the spam, perhaps the soam caused it to malfunction?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

spider wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:53 pm
Thanks very much [mention]spider[/mention]. Just reading it now.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

holycross wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:02 am
I did try the contact us button, but felt frustration because after using it an error message was displayed.
Do you have a note of the error you were getting? Certainly by the numbers of messages that come through I don't think anyone else is having an issue. It's just the standard form provided with phpBB currently without any modifications.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

I can imagine this is very frustrating, and know very little about how to combat this. Fortunately some organisations do, so I know what you should do... (ahem). You should get in touch with the .... Contact-Spam Crews.
sorry
CLEAR 23855
holycross
Drutt

Post by holycross »

PeterJ wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:13 am
holycross wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:02 am
I did try the contact us button, but felt frustration because after using it an error message was displayed.
Do you have a note of the error you were getting? Certainly by the numbers of messages that come through I don't think anyone else is having an issue. It's just the standard form provided with phpBB currently without any modifications.
Unfortunately no I don't remmber it...It happened weeks ago.
g0blinish
Manic Miner

Post by g0blinish »

I got same situation: Japanese spammer sent about 30-60 messages. Resolved by pure captcha.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

spider wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:53 pm
[mention]spider[/mention] thanks for all the information. I'm going to try installing the extension you mentioned. Tried replying to your PM but kept getting:

Your message couldn't be delivered. It appears that the email address you sent your message to wasn't found at the destination domain, or the recipient's mailbox is unavailable
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:55 pm @spider thanks for all the information. I'm going to try installing the extension you mentioned. Tried replying to your PM but kept getting:

Your message couldn't be delivered. It appears that the email address you sent your message to wasn't found at the destination domain, or the recipient's mailbox is unavailable
Updated/Fixed and replied to the PM. Sorry about that! I knew I'd be bound to of missed a site or two when updating it. :oops:
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks to a lot of assistance from [mention]spider[/mention] I have now implemented a new 'Contact Us' plugin for phpBB. This won't impact registered forum users, but will hopefully reduce the amount of spam I receive. This form uses the same challenge question that the site registration includes. It only asks the challenge question if you are not logged in:

app.php/contactadmin
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Excellent and you're very welcome.

As mentioned it is a sane offering in that a registered/logged in member is not forced to deal with a QA Challenge or Captcha, something 'some other forms' tend to have, so what is here now is about the best of both worlds really I think.

EDIT... Typo excess! :oops: