Contact Us Spam

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Re: Contact Us Spam

Post by spider »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:55 pm @spider thanks for all the information. I'm going to try installing the extension you mentioned. Tried replying to your PM but kept getting:

Your message couldn't be delivered. It appears that the email address you sent your message to wasn't found at the destination domain, or the recipient's mailbox is unavailable
Updated/Fixed and replied to the PM. Sorry about that! I knew I'd be bound to of missed a site or two when updating it. :oops:
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks to a lot of assistance from [mention]spider[/mention] I have now implemented a new 'Contact Us' plugin for phpBB. This won't impact registered forum users, but will hopefully reduce the amount of spam I receive. This form uses the same challenge question that the site registration includes. It only asks the challenge question if you are not logged in:

app.php/contactadmin
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Excellent and you're very welcome.

As mentioned it is a sane offering in that a registered/logged in member is not forced to deal with a QA Challenge or Captcha, something 'some other forms' tend to have, so what is here now is about the best of both worlds really I think.

EDIT... Typo excess! :oops: