Game TV adverts

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Game TV adverts

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:45 pm

I've been searching for TV adverts of Spectrum games for a long time, after finding this one:

I found it curious and interesting as I don't remember any TV advert of games in Spain, back in the day.

Some time later I found:

and

I couldn't find more adverts so I think it was not very common to advert games on TV (unlike hardware) but maybe I'm wrong so it'd be great if anyone finds any others, please post them here.

But the next thing I thought was: might it be possible to include these videos in its corresponding game entry in the database, embedded, like the rzx videos? What do you think?

In my opinion it's a cool feature, so a big YES! :)
2 x

DouglasReynholm
Microbot

Re: Game TV adverts

Post by DouglasReynholm » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:40 pm

They clearly look (well, sound actually) like UK ads, but I was around during the period and don't recall seeing a single one of these before, perhaps they just weren't shown much - I watched a lot of TV in the 80's! :geek: Nice find thanks Juan, would love to see more of this.
1 x

8BitAG
Manic Miner

Post by 8BitAG » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:27 am

They could've very easily been limited to just a single region of the country, given how ITV worked back then. Or perhaps these are adverts that appeared on promotional VHS tapes.
1 x

Swainy
Berk

Post by Swainy » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:56 am

I believe that these promo adverts were just used in shops such as WH Smith’s, Boots ect.
0 x

toot_toot
Dizzy

Post by toot_toot » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:41 am

These are definitely from in-store promo tapes. The big stores like WH Smiths or John Menzies used to have these running on the background advertising games, especially when they stopped having the ability to play the games in store. Sure there were adverts for the actual computers (Sinclair, Commodore, Amstrad) but I don't recall ever seeing a TV advert for a home computer game in the 1980s.

However I do remember seeing this advert and thinking "I know that music"!

The advert now reminds me a bit of Daft Punk's Around The World!
0 x

toot_toot
Dizzy

Post by toot_toot » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:29 pm

I found these WH Smith in-store computer promo vids from 88 and 89

0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:15 pm

Juan F. Ramirez wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:45 pm
But the next thing I thought was: might it be possible to include these videos in its corresponding game entry in the database, embedded, like the rzx videos? What do you think?

Yes!

If anyone can provide a list of videos, with the corresponding ID (or SC link) to the game corresponding to each one, then I can easily import this information into ZXDB.
1 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:50 pm

Einar Saukas wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:15 pm
Juan F. Ramirez wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:45 pm

If anyone can provide a list of videos, with the corresponding ID (or SC link) to the game corresponding to each one, then I can easily import this information into ZXDB.
Hunchback - 2383
https://youtu.be/q_zov-7tiGE

Rasputin - 4030
https://youtu.be/lBAC9DJB9-o

Match Day - 3067
https://youtu.be/5jVVMFMJtwg

On this last video, D. T. Decathlon (1217) and Gift from the Gods (2041) also appeared at the end of the ad, so I don't know if they should be included as well...
Last edited by Juan F. Ramirez on Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:56 pm

I'm afraid there are no many single-games TV adverts out there, but if anyone happens to find anyone, please post it here!
0 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:17 pm

Learning Box (29715):
0 x