Calling PHP My SQL developers

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Re: Calling PHP My SQL developers

Post by Alessandro »

Ivanzx wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:44 pm @Alessandro if scores are such a terrible thing, why did you have them in your Spectrum annual? :roll:
Initially there wouldn't have been any score. Then I felt the need to introduce them, but on a completely different basis than the usual 1 = garbage / 10 = masterpiece scale.

I already wrote it elsewhere, but again: I recommend to play every game I reviewed in the Annual; there are no "turkeys" at all among them. However, I wanted to differentiate between them. Think about it like the Michelin guide. If a restaurant is mentioned there, it is considered by the guide's authors as a recommended place where to eat, but there are differences in quality and in the global experience between restaurants which get three stars and those which get two or one. Not to mention the fact that all of the games are reviewed; ratings are thoroughly explained.

It's a very different thing from just anonymously placing a number beneath a title.

Moreover, I don't think the scores in the WOS were fair all of the time, especially for newer games. Cases of people receiving 1's or 10's to all of their titles just because the author encouraged people to vote for them (something that I never did, and do not wish to do) or, on the opposite, was the subject of a sort of trolling were far from being rare.

If ratings could be nominal, like they are, say, in ZX-Art, it would be better, although it does not protect from people creating bogus accounts to be able to vote more times.

Maybe I sound excessively concerned about this issue, and probably I am. But past experiences make me feel so. I am glad that Peter has taken my points into consideration.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Just to let you know that this won't be happening. No developers have stepped forward to help. When I have time I will look if I can write a script which counts game page visits to a text file, which would give a simple way of counting popular titles.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

It might have been discussed before. Another option I've been thinking about is something similar to Google's Play Store: for every app, users rate it and comment it.

Just imagine any game entry, with its reviews section, where users comments (not only simple rates) are shown. That would avoid any troll to spoil or rigger the game rate, as there's not only a quantity component (the simple rate), but a quality one(comments). And you must be a forums user to vote. As far as I know, if any user want to create any other account in this forum the admins would know it as both accounts would have the same IP. And the admins know every user IP... am I right?

Obviously, as I have no idea of coding, I don't know if this would be hard to implement but, anyway, including the old WoS score makes no sense in this site.

Other option would be 'integrating' spectrum20.org into SC under the same idea above if it is technically possible.

It is true that there's a link to spectrum20.org in every game entry, but what I mean is creating a new expanding section (like 'magazine reviews', for example) where all the reviews and their authors are shown.