Embedding Media into posts

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Embedding Media into posts

Post by PeterJ »

There was some discussion last night about embedding media into posts. phpBB now supports direct embedding from a large number of sites.

The full list of supported sites is here:

https://s9etextformatter.readthedocs.io ... bed/Sites/

I think with the ever increasing use of social media rather than forums by the youth, phpBB have attempted to up their game!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Embedding Media into posts

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I should, perhaps, clarify what I meant by “embedding media” in the other thread. I meant literally embedding external raw media files (video/audio) into a post. The [media] BBCode of phpBB is meant for handling indirect links to a variety of externally hosted media players (i.e. YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, etc.). They each require a special handler to display properly.

However, even though every modern browser can play back standard media files natively, phpBB forum software doesn’t support it. I think this was first brought up as far back as 2013, and has never been implemented (and I can sort of see the reason behind it).

So, technically, the only media types you can truly embed in a phpBB forum post are images.

Sorry, if I came off rude or unappreciative in that post. Was never my intention. A group hug? :D
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Embedding Media into posts

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Ast A. Moore[/mention],

OK, now I understand. Yes, you can't just post raw video/audio into posts.

Group hug accepted. Obviously two metres apart though!