More advanced search options

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
PeterJ
Site Admin

More advanced search options

Post by PeterJ »

Following the work carried out last week with adding the ability to search for Features via the advanced search, we have been very lucky to have some further development help, to provide even more search options.

You can now search by Theme, Multiplayer Mode, Turn Mode and Programming Language.

The very special thing here is you can combine there filters (even though the information is stored in one database table). So for example you can search for Cooperative Multiplayer Mode games, with simultaneous turn modes, and get a result like this:

The advanced search options are now getting rather plentiful! If anyone out there creates content for YouTube and fancies putting together a tutorial video on searching that would be amazing. Just drop me a line.

R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: More advanced search options

Post by R-Tape »

Nice one chaps. With one thing and another, I missed the addition of 'features'.

My first thought was "Oh no! the main search has got too complicated", but the defaults are set to 'all', and the quick search is clearly displayed, so it should be clear to the majority.

I guess this is still a test mode, but "rainbow graphics" should definitely be in the features' shortlist.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:17 pm I guess this is still a test mode, but "rainbow graphics" should definitely be in the features' shortlist.
Thanks [mention]R-Tape[/mention],

Rainbow Graphics is listed under features.

The next one planned is 'was the developer right or left handed', and how tall were they.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:23 am
R-Tape wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:17 pm I guess this is still a test mode, but "rainbow graphics" should definitely be in the features' shortlist.
Thanks @R-Tape,

Rainbow Graphics is listed under features.
Sorry. How the heck did I miss that?!
The next one planned is 'was the developer right or left handed', and how tall were they.
Tsk. Typical that the ambidextrous don't get a look in yet again :roll:
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

It's getting better and better !

I checked "programming language" option and it looks like 99% of games don't have any setting there, check for games written in assembler. But I guess it will come with time.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]Ralf[/mention],

Yes, its information that needs collating. I remember early issues of Crash magazine used to state the programming language.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Love the 'Religious Gospel' theme. I see top stuff there.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:27 am Love the 'Religious Gospel' theme. I see top stuff there.
Indeed, its rather a niche selection! Most of these were from the old WoS archive. We now have the opportunity to update them.

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

The only additional filter I believe may be useful is 'Protection Scheme'
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:21 am
Indeed, its rather a niche selection! Most of these were from the old WoS archive. We now have the opportunity to update them.
New Testament Adventure Quiz seems fascinating! :mrgreen:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=27465

Talking seriously, this is another great seaching feature. Great work!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Appreciate the work done on the search, I can imagine it's often quite a thankless (and probably impossible!) task trying to cater for everyone's needs and keeping it easy to use.
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:44 pm New Testament Adventure Quiz seems fascinating! :mrgreen:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=27465
Indeed, and would you believe it:

...So paradise was in Hull all this time...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Ralf wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:56 am I checked "programming language" option and it looks like 99% of games don't have any setting there, check for games written in assembler. But I guess it will come with time.
This is a relatively new classification that didn't exist in Martijn's WoS, so there's still a lot of work to be done...

To be honest I was more concerned about classifying other programming languages first. For instance, it should help people learning Boriel's ZX BASIC to have this list of titles with available source code:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 7&source=1
+3code

Post by +3code »

It might be interesting to include in the search options the format (tzx, dsk, mgt, trd, etc.). I was looking for the Outlet Magazine issues in dsk (really, really good that mag!) and had to look one by one...
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

+3code wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:48 pm It might be interesting to include in the search options the format (tzx, dsk, mgt, trd, etc.).
This has now been implemented for you on the advanced search.

+3code

Post by +3code »

PeterJ wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:50 pm
This has now been implemented for you on the advanced search.
Tnks :D