Chit Chat forum?

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Chit Chat forum?

Post by zxbruno »

Don't kill me please. I know this is not "World of Chit Chat" but I was looking for a section where to post a question, not Spectrum related, but couldn't find one? It's ok if there isn't one. Just used to the idea that Spectrum folks can talk about many things, not just our beloved computer. :D

/me gets coat
+3code

Re: Chit Chat forum?

Post by +3code »

stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

+3code wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:09 am Perhaps viewforum.php?f=24
It’s still Sinclair related though. When I used to use to visit WoS it was mainly the ‘chit chat’ forum which got the most use. I expect many of us are of a similar age (40-50) so will have similar childhood memories and retro likes and dislikes. I’m 100% up for a chit chat forum, as long as it stays politics free. I don’t come to sites like this to see people bicker and get arsey with each other.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

There is Other Retro Stuff:

viewforum.php?f=31
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

stupidget wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:40 amI expect many of us are of a similar age (40-50) so will have similar childhood memories and retro likes and dislikes.
Unless they start talking about obscure British children TV shows of the late 70s no one in the rest of the world has ever heard about... :P

Chit chat? No thanks, I prefer to keep things as they are now.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

zxbruno wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:00 am Don't kill me please. I know this is not "World of Chit Chat" but I was looking for a section where to post a question, not Spectrum related, but couldn't find one? It's ok if there isn't one. Just used to the idea that Spectrum folks can talk about many things, not just our beloved computer. :D

/me gets coat
Aye sorry Bruno, it has to be vaguely Sinclair related, or something that fits in other retro computing. We decided against a chitchat forum a while back. Who knows, maybe one day it could be reintroduced, but I wouldn't be up for it at the moment.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Such section would inevitably lead to political/religious/etc topics and we all know how well these go down on forums. No thanks.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Alessandro wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:41 am Unless they start talking about obscure British children TV shows of the late 70s no one in the rest of the world has ever heard about... :P
Sorry. I hold my hands up to that one.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

As [mention]R-Tape[/mention] mentioned above, we decided against it. The forum now is (in the main) very easy to moderate - which is due to you guys! We are just concerned that moderating a chitchat section could be a time consuming exercise, and what with other stuff that goes on (normal life included) we just don't have the time.

I do think that people like us (majority males, of a certain age) do have important things to discuss, that maybe we wouldn't discuss with friends and family, but that is for the future. It is in my head though. Maybe a private group on one of the chat platforms, that wasn't officially linked to SC, that other people moderated. Just a vague thought.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I remember that discussion.

At first, I didn't agree with that decision (Chit Chat has some interesting threads), but as time went by, I realized it was a good move. We're focusing only on Spectrum (and others retro computers) stuff. And this is good for the whole forum.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

I just need a forum where I can call R-Tape a bellend.
Perhaps this one will do.

R-tape, you're a bellend! :mrgreen:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

RWAC wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:08 am I just need a forum where I can call R-Tape a bellend.
Perhaps this one will do.

R-tape, you're a bellend! :mrgreen:
Chortle! I've missed that, it's just not the same when Peter calls me one.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

That lovey-dovey talk can be so annoying: sweetheart, honey, bellend, pumpkin . . . So much mush. Ugh. :roll:

:lol:
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

And now, the "bellend" is my word of the day. Tomorrow, I will google what "chortle" means. No big expectations on my side, have to say.
Proud owner of Didaktik M
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I know what "chortle" means but had to look in the online Cambridge Dictionary what a "bellend" is :lol:
PQR
Manic Miner

Post by PQR »

I very much appreciate the compactness and clear focus of this forum. There is a relatively small number of sections that are clearly Spectrum (or computing) related. Personally I have no desire to discuss any other topics here.
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

Alessandro wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:41 am I know what "chortle" means but had to look in the online Cambridge Dictionary what a "bellend" is :lol:
Tsk, Allesandro ... you've known mel over on WoS for more than a decade and had to look that up? 8-)
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

The beginning of the decline of WoS can be traced directly to the addition of the chit-chat forum, so I'd rather avoid having one, thanks very much :D
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

I get there is no hunger for an off topic section for the forum, and respect the decision not to. Having said that, there were two topics in the last 6 months I would have liked to have got the opinion of, from other 'like minded' people of a certain age and demographic, and this forum would have been potentially a good place. Politics (of any sort) and religion would be a definite no-no, but my other subjects would have been electronic circuit questions (not Sinclair related), and electronic music production related - not 8 bit/chiptune/AY/SID - just a little bit of promotion for an album project I and some other producers released recently to benefit the NHS - and to rope others on here in if they were interested.

Just to put another view out there, I do appreciate the purity of SC otherwise.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

also the chit chat will clog the "active topics" and other lists in "quick links" and i'm not sure if it's avoidable with this forum engine
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

XTM wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:49 pm
Alessandro wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:41 am I know what "chortle" means but had to look in the online Cambridge Dictionary what a "bellend" is :lol:
Tsk, Allesandro ... you've known mel over on WoS for more than a decade and had to look that up? 8-)
Well what can I say... I remembered it when I looked it up, it's not a word that I normally use or read anywhere else ;) By the way, after more than a decade, you still spell my name wrong :P :lol:
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

Oops ... mea culpa!
Though I actually never ever typed out your first name before - a search on WOS for "Allesandro" shows 22 instances (!) but none by me, so this is my first time. Sorry! Perhaps you prefer Al Grussone? ;)

This thread is as chit chat as it gets ...
richl
Dizzy

Post by richl »

ZXDunny wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:16 pm The beginning of the decline of WoS can be traced directly to the addition of the chit-chat forum, so I'd rather avoid having one, thanks very much :D
I've already liked this comment anyway but I figured I'd post as well because I wholeheartedly agree.
Just seeing the thread title made my heart sink for a moment but good to see most people here appear to be of the same opinion.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Today was flying ant day!
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

MatGubbins wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:15 pm Today was flying ant day!
What’s on you saucer? 🤣