Forum Ranks

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
User avatar
R-Tape
Site Admin
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:46 am

Forum Ranks

Post by R-Tape » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:21 am

For those wondering why they have 'Berk' under their username, it's because we quickly set the forum ranks to the first Spectrum characters that popped into our heads. It then goes onto Dizzy, Manic Miner and others, but doesn't mean much as there is no obvious gradation.

If anyone has any good ideas for forum ranks could they post them here pleez. Then in a few weeks we'll have a poll.
1 x

Lorfarius
Berk
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:16 am

Re: Forum Ranks

Post by Lorfarius » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Will the avatr limit be raised a bit? Wanted to use a picture but struggling to get it down to 6kb. Closest I could get was 6.9 :lol:
0 x
UK's number one Amiga podcast:

https://www.AMIGArama.com

User avatar
ramsrc
Berk
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: Forum Ranks

Post by ramsrc » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:34 pm

Thanks for clarifying that :shock:

Given that Berk is short for "Berkeley Hunt", and with its associated rhyming slang connotations, one could almost be offended. :lol:
1 x
A hollow voice says "Plugh"

User avatar
R-Tape
Site Admin
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:46 am

Re: Forum Ranks

Post by R-Tape » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:54 pm

ramsrc wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:34 pm
Thanks for clarifying that :shock:

Given that Berk is short for "Berkeley Hunt", and with its associated rhyming slang connotations, one could almost be offended. :lol:
EDIT - in which case we should get the new ranks sorted sharpish!

Didn't know that! I might suggest to Peter that we change the swear filter for the c-bomb to "Berkely Hunt"! I opted for the strict dictionary definition :mrgreen:
0 x

User avatar
Ast A. Moore
Dizzy
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Re: Forum Ranks

Post by Ast A. Moore » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:55 pm

Are “ranks” just a label awarded every certain number of posts? In that case, I couldn’t care less. An odd metric, in my book. A combination of the number of posts (perhaps even posts marked as “helpful” or something similar) and membership period would be a much better representation of the term “rank.”
0 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

chinnyhill10
Berk
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: Forum Ranks

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:10 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:21 am
For those wondering why they have 'Berk' under their username, it's because we quickly set the forum ranks to the first Spectrum characters that popped into our heads. It then goes onto Dizzy, Manic Miner and others, but doesn't mean much as there is no obvious gradation.

If anyone has any good ideas for forum ranks could they post them here pleez. Then in a few weeks we'll have a poll.
16k
48k
48k+
128k
+2
+3
3 x

User avatar
Spud
Berk
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:50 pm

Re: Forum Ranks

Post by Spud » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:29 pm

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:10 pm
R-Tape wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:21 am
For those wondering why they have 'Berk' under their username, it's because we quickly set the forum ranks to the first Spectrum characters that popped into our heads. It then goes onto Dizzy, Manic Miner and others, but doesn't mean much as there is no obvious gradation.

If anyone has any good ideas for forum ranks could they post them here pleez. Then in a few weeks we'll have a poll.
16k
48k
48k+
128k
+2
+3
And the best rank of all:

SAM Coupé :-P
0 x

User avatar
Pegaz
Berk
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:44 pm

Re: Forum Ranks

Post by Pegaz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:30 pm

What was the old wos ranking, maybe that's the best solution?
I would personally like the forum to be the same style and design as wos before big crash (from Martjin era) ...
Does anyone have a copy of that old web page, I almost forgot how it looked simple but great.
0 x

chinnyhill10
Berk
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: Forum Ranks

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Pegaz wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:30 pm
What was the old wos ranking, maybe that's the best solution?
I would personally like the forum to be the same style and design as wos before big crash (from Martjin era) ...
Does anyone have a copy of that old web page, I almost forgot how it looked simple but great.
I think you might find that style looks a bit dated now. Yes I know we aren't the kind of people that bothers but so many different types of display these days.

Gyzor who runs the CPC Wiki forum has done a nice job of making that forum clean and work on a variety of screens.
0 x

User avatar
Morkin
Berk
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:50 am
Location: Bristol

Re: Forum Ranks

Post by Morkin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:38 pm

Pegaz wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:30 pm
What was the old wos ranking, maybe that's the best solution?
I would personally like the forum to be the same style and design as wos before big crash (from Martjin era) ...
Does anyone have a copy of that old web page, I almost forgot how it looked simple but great.
I think that was fairly standard forum software - I remember seeing the same style and layout on a few sites, I visited but they've changed since then. Maybe it got deprecated or something?
0 x

Post Reply