Forum Ranks

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Forum Ranks

Post by R-Tape »

For those wondering why they have 'Berk' under their username, it's because we quickly set the forum ranks to the first Spectrum characters that popped into our heads. It then goes onto Dizzy, Manic Miner and others, but doesn't mean much as there is no obvious gradation.

If anyone has any good ideas for forum ranks could they post them here pleez. Then in a few weeks we'll have a poll.
Lorfarius
Drutt

Re: Forum Ranks

Post by Lorfarius »

Will the avatr limit be raised a bit? Wanted to use a picture but struggling to get it down to 6kb. Closest I could get was 6.9 :lol:
UK's number one Amiga podcast:

https://www.AMIGArama.com
ramsrc
Drutt

Post by ramsrc »

Thanks for clarifying that :shock:

Given that Berk is short for "Berkeley Hunt", and with its associated rhyming slang connotations, one could almost be offended. :lol:
A hollow voice says "Plugh"
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

ramsrc wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:34 pm Thanks for clarifying that :shock:

Given that Berk is short for "Berkeley Hunt", and with its associated rhyming slang connotations, one could almost be offended. :lol:
EDIT - in which case we should get the new ranks sorted sharpish!

Didn't know that! I might suggest to Peter that we change the swear filter for the c-bomb to "Berkely Hunt"! I opted for the strict dictionary definition :mrgreen:
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Are “ranks” just a label awarded every certain number of posts? In that case, I couldn’t care less. An odd metric, in my book. A combination of the number of posts (perhaps even posts marked as “helpful” or something similar) and membership period would be a much better representation of the term “rank.”
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
chinnyhill10
Drutt

Post by chinnyhill10 »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:21 am For those wondering why they have 'Berk' under their username, it's because we quickly set the forum ranks to the first Spectrum characters that popped into our heads. It then goes onto Dizzy, Manic Miner and others, but doesn't mean much as there is no obvious gradation.

If anyone has any good ideas for forum ranks could they post them here pleez. Then in a few weeks we'll have a poll.
48k+
+2
+3
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

chinnyhill10 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:10 pm
R-Tape wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:21 am For those wondering why they have 'Berk' under their username, it's because we quickly set the forum ranks to the first Spectrum characters that popped into our heads. It then goes onto Dizzy, Manic Miner and others, but doesn't mean much as there is no obvious gradation.

48k+
+2
+3
And the best rank of all:

SAM Coupé :-P
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

What was the old wos ranking, maybe that's the best solution?
I would personally like the forum to be the same style and design as wos before big crash (from Martjin era) ...
Does anyone have a copy of that old web page, I almost forgot how it looked simple but great.
chinnyhill10
Drutt

Post by chinnyhill10 »

Pegaz wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:30 pm What was the old wos ranking, maybe that's the best solution?
I would personally like the forum to be the same style and design as wos before big crash (from Martjin era) ...
Does anyone have a copy of that old web page, I almost forgot how it looked simple but great.
I think you might find that style looks a bit dated now. Yes I know we aren't the kind of people that bothers but so many different types of display these days.

Gyzor who runs the CPC Wiki forum has done a nice job of making that forum clean and work on a variety of screens.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Pegaz wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:30 pm What was the old wos ranking, maybe that's the best solution?
I think that was fairly standard forum software - I remember seeing the same style and layout on a few sites, I visited but they've changed since then. Maybe it got deprecated or something?
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

I've gone from being Rorthron the Wise to Rorthron the Berk!

Probably more accurate....
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

I always like the old WoSF gradings - think I got up to Manic Miner. Be damned if I can remember what they all were though.

An obvious one could be the Elite ratings: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Pilots_Federation, but personally I'd prefer something a bit more Speccy-fied.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

chinnyhill10 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:10 pm

48k+
+2
+3
I think that could be expanded a bit if hardware is the "thing"...
  1. ZX80
  2. ZX81
  3. Spectrum 16k
  4. Spectrum 48k
  5. Spectrum+ 48k
  6. Spectrum+ 128k
  7. Spectrum+2
  8. Spectrum+2A
  9. Spectrum+2B
  10. Spectrum+3
  11. Spectrum+3B
Best that any more modern (and maybe controversial) machines are not included...!

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

1024MAK wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:43 pm
  1. ZX80
  2. ZX81
  3. Spectrum 16k
  4. Spectrum 48k
  5. Spectrum+ 48k
  6. Spectrum+ 128k
  7. Spectrum+2
  8. Black +2
  9. Spectrum+3
  10. Spectrum+3B
Best that any controversial machines are not included...!
FTFY :lol:

p.s. it should be Spectrum+ and Spectrum 128. Also I think when I have seen any official designation for the amount of RAM in a ZX Spectrum it was styled 16K and 48K (yes I know that is wrong for kilo)
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

@Guesser - You say tomato, I say banana! :lol:

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

As if the +2A is an advancement over the original +2!
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

If you ban a user can his rank be set to "ZX Vega+" ? :twisted:
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Oh, and I was actually thinking that twelve ranks would be nice number, but could only think of eleven at the moment... then I wondered if a "space" should be left, depending on how we look back on recent past events from a perspective in the future...

Mark
“There are four lights!”
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

PeteProdge wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:01 pm As if the +2A is an advancement over the original +2!
Of course it is an advancement, it has crap sound :lol:
More seriously, at least the +2A is the correct colour :P And they quickly produced a new +2B PCB with the sound problem "fixed".

And to be fair, Amstrad were just continuing the Sinclair tradition of not getting it 100% right (See the QL story...).

Back to the thread subject (sorry, forgot that most of you are used to WoS thread drift).

If not hardware, then what other lists do members think would work well?

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

I quite like the current ranks. I'm hoping if I post enough drivel I can be the first to rise above Berkdom!
Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Post by Evil Genius »

Maybe I'm being thick here but is the full rank list displayed somewhere?

Anyway, I agree with Vampyre's suggestion of Elite pilot ratings.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Evil Genius wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:26 pmAnyway, I agree with Vampyre's suggestion of Elite pilot ratings.
Me too!

It's an easily recognizable list, that better fits this purpose since anyone can easily distinguish which names have higher ranking than others.

Although this game was originally created for another machine, it's probably even more popular among Spectrum players.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Evil Genius wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:26 pm Maybe I'm being thick here but is the full rank list displayed somewhere?
Only in the admin area I think, and I'd best not give the password to an evil genius.

(Oh go then, it's "password")

Two good suggestions so far, machine types and Elite ranks. Any more? Well have a poll at the end if the week.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

My vote for game characters, in old WoS style: Sabreman, Jet Set Willy, Monty Mole, ... and Fred.

Yes, Fred would be a good rank! :D
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:58 am My vote for game characters, in old WoS style: Sabreman, Jet Set Willy, Monty Mole, ... and Fred.

Yes, Fred would be a good rank! :D
Is that^ the old WoS list?

I remember it had Elite at the top and then Clumsy Colin added, or was that a later WoS list?