Games scores

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Games scores

Post by Rorthron »

I know it's been mentioned before, but it would be good to be able to score games on SC. I know scoring can be abused, but there are ways to mitigate the problem. Personally I would suggest that all votes have to be made from a registered account with at least three forum posts, and all votes are public. So if someone is manipulating scores, we can see who.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: Games scores

Post by Morkin »

<mini-bump!>

...I'd also quite like to see scores. :)

Personally I don't think it should be restricted. Just because as soon as you put a a sign-in barrier in front of a feedback mechanism it tends to drastically reduce vote count. As a result I suspect the majority of games would remain unrated or have few ratings, which could skew things (the opposite of the intention!). I reckon mass-voting would be better.

IIRC with the old anonymous voting system there was a single case of people trying to bump scores up/down after an argument about a particular game... But on the whole I don't even recall it making a difference anyway. For any games I looked at in the archive, I thought most scores were pretty accurate (I don't remember one that wasn't at least).
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I agree.

The more people vote, the more accurate the score is. It's just a question of statistics.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Morning,

We just need a volunteer to code it. I think [mention]Ivanzx[/mention] said he knew someone who was keen to help?
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

I'll code it..!

Oh no, wait, I don't know how... :lol:

(Happy birthday Peter BTW)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]Morkin[/mention]!

One of the reasons it's complicated is that presumably we would only want authorised users voting, so we would need some way of seeing if the user was logged into the forum to allow them to see the scoring page. This is beyond my programming skills I'm afraid.

It's a pity that we can't use Spectrum2.0, but I seem to remember this uses Ruby on Rails and I think we have gone down the attempts to integrate path before.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Yeah, integrating Spectrum 2.0 would be a good solution.

By the way, happy birthday, [mention]PeterJ[/mention]! :mrgreen:
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

It's nice having those Speccy 2.0 links at least. Some of those reviews are class..! :lol:
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:40 am Morning,

We just need a volunteer to code it. I think @Ivanzx said he knew someone who was keen to help?
Oh man! I totally forgot! :cry:

Yes, I will talk to him, I will also PM you, [mention]PeterJ[/mention] :)