Cannot edit older posts.

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Cannot edit older posts.

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Haven’t timed it, but no, I don’t think I could do that. Granted, I noticed the limbo time was greater than on WoS, which pleasantly surprised me.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Having read through all the posts in this thread, regardless of the "why not at any time" vs. having a restriction, I don't recall any reason why two hours was chosen as the limit.

I can understand having a restriction. But would much prefer the time limit to be a bit longer. Two hours is okay if real life does not get in the way. But at least in my case, real life often gets in the way, so when I read someone else's post in a thread, it's not unknown for me to notice that I made an error in one of my earlier posts.

So for me, if there has to be a restriction, then twelve hours would be my preferred time limit.

While on the subject of forum history, are multiple backup copies of the data kept? So if it was later discovered that, say a member had gone back and deleted or changed posts, or the context of posts, could a backup be used to restore them?

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

1024MAK wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Having read through all the posts in this thread, regardless of the "why not at any time" vs. having a restriction, I don't recall any reason why two hours was chosen as the limit.
R-Tape wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:20 pm I chose to set it to 2 hours. My thinking was to set a reasonable amount of time to allow correcting mistakes but not so long as to allow people to rewrite history.
Ultimately it's an arbitrary number, but so is any other number we are likely to choose, including your suggestion of 12 hours. One problem with longer periods is that moderators have to keep an eye on new posts for longer. From my personal perspective more than two hours is burdensome.

I'm afraid I don't know about your other question. That will have to be for someone else on the team.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

We pay for our hosting service Digital Ocean to backup the whole site once a week. Then if we had a crash we would loose at most a week of data. There are no other backups.

I concur with the other admins in that having longer post edit times makes our lives much harder as we have to check more posts. This really is not practical. Looking at other forums in the past week my personal feeling is that two hours is generous. If people feel that passionate that a post needs editing they can easily contact an admin.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Two hours is more than enough to edit a post to correct a few spelling mistakes, alter a bit of code or make sure that the picture links work properly.