Results ordering Poll

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.

Sort order preference

Title only
82%
Release year, then title
18%
Other (comment below, but please read the main post first regarding restrictions in complexity)
No votes

Total votes: 11

PeterJ
Site Admin

Results ordering Poll

Post by PeterJ »

There has been some good discussion about the ordering of search results. Originally, results were ordered by their title. Following feedback I changed this to release year, then title.

With SQL you grab your results data, then use the Order keyword to sort by any of the selected fields. This isn't Google, and we don't currently have a weighting score against titles (this would be a huge project and I don't personally feel is worth the time investment). There was a good comment yesterday about tracking what is entered into the search boxes to gain a better insight, which I will look into. There was also a suggestion about an exact search box. I personally feel this will cause frustration for users, but I will develop a test page for it.

This poll is about the ordering of results, and not how the results dataset is obtained.

The poll will stay open until at least 20 votes are cast.

Which do you prefer.