Logging of QuickSearch

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Logging of QuickSearch

Post by PeterJ »

As mentioned elsewhere we are logging the searches entered into the QuickSearch box to look at how users are using it.

You can view the file live here:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/log/search.txt

Obviously, no information other that what is typed into the search box is collected.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Logging of QuickSearch

Post by R-Tape »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:23 am As mentioned elsewhere we are logging the searches entered into the QuickSearch box to look at how users are using it.
If this test is to be worth anything, we should return the search back to the previous general search. Do we still have the original code, and can we press rewind?

But I think if we make any changes based on the log, it should run for a decent amount of time.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:52 am
PeterJ wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:23 am As mentioned elsewhere we are logging the searches entered into the QuickSearch box to look at how users are using it.
If this test is to be worth anything, we should return the search back to the previous general search. Do we still have the original code, and can we press rewind?

But I think if we make any changes based on the log, it should run for a decent amount of time.
Agreed. [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] will have the original code.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

Someone's beaten you to it, [mention]RWAC[/mention]!

All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:52 am

Quick search is back to how it was Dave. We will review the entries into the search box once we have 2 or 3 months worth of analysis.
+3code

Post by +3code »

'oblique%perspective%with%one%horizontal%axis'

OMG.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

+3code wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:55 pm 'oblique%perspective%with%one%horizontal%axis'

OMG.
3D
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Does anyone who has expressed a wish for the search to change want to take on the role of assigning T for title,P for Publisher, A for author, and M for Miscellaneous to the search results data so we can analyse the results?

You don't have to do it all, just ask for a batch and I will save the data on Google Sheets.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Just a small update.

Quicksearch has been renamed 'full database search', with the text in the search box remaining as 'search by title, author, publisher'.

If you use full database search a message appears reminding users about advanced search. Eventually this message will only appear if the search results in 10 or more results. There is a link back to the home page. If we move advanced search to it's own page, then it will link to that instead.

On the search results the text now says 'search results', instead of 'titles'.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

[mention]PeterJ[/mention] :

I made a search for 'Sir Fred', displaying only 3 results and the 'too many results?' message appeared. :?:
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]Juan F. Ramirez[/mention],

Firstly, I'm pleased you didn't get 26 pages of results :D

I maybe didn't phrase it well, but that functionally isn't there yet:
Eventually this message will only appear if the search results in 10 or more results.
Hopefully I will work on it over the weekend. I'm planning some nice walks to enjoy the last of the summer (before the new COVID restricted come in), but will see how time goes. No promises.

Best wishes

Peter