Changes to Quick Search

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Changes to Quick Search

Post by PeterJ »

Last month there was a great deal of discussion on the forum about 'Quick Search'. The team have reviewed all the feedback and made some changes to how quick search works. Whilst we hope this will resolve most of the concerns highlighted, we simply can't fulfil everyone's requests. This is a small Spectrum website and not Google 🙂

We see Quick Search as the default route for first time visitors to the site and those of you who just want a way of quickly finding a game, publisher or author. For more advanced searching we still recommend using advanced search.

The Quick Search box now has a dropdown which defaults to software search (because research shows this is by far the most popular search type). You can also choose publisher and author. Results are strictly alphabetical (We did talk long and hard about this, but we felt this was the best method of showing results - We appreciate this won't please everyone).

I would like to thank Ricardo and Einar for the development time they have spent on this as well as the many days of discussion between Ricardo, Einar, Dave and myself.

Don't forget you may need to clear your cache to see the changes!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: Changes to Quick Search

Post by Morkin »

Nice..! :)
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

So does it mean there isn't possible to search for books, hardware, etc.? ;-)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

pavero wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:53 pm So does it mean there isn't possible to search for books, hardware, etc.? ;-)
Hi [mention]pavero[/mention],

That's all on advanced search. Just filter under Genre.

PM me if you need any help.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

No thanks, its clear.

But personally I would prefer the same logic how we can see in compact view.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

pavero wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:36 pmBut personally I would prefer the same logic how we can see in compact view.
The main and compact views have different goals.

The top priority for the main view is to be user-friendly. The layout is fully responsive (it has the flexibility to accommodate all kinds of devices and resolutions), data is clearly organized in separate sections, quick-search only provides the most commonly used options in order to make it simpler and more intuitive, etc. The concept comes mostly from Peter and Ricardo's mind (based on users feedback) and it's intended to reach a wider audience.

The top priority of the compact view is efficiency. The layout attempts to condense as much data as possible while still keeping it well organized, quick-search provides the maximum possible flexibility using the same visual elements, etc. The concept comes mostly from my attempt to combine characteristics from the main view and from Martijn's original WoS, and it's focused on heavy users that access this site a lot. In practice, this is a view I needed myself to speed up searching for information when I'm working on changes for ZXDB.

So that's the reason each of us implemented quick-search differently :)
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Edit: Ignore - Books are mentioned earlier in the thread.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/